• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Poll] Weekly Poll #1: Ash's Oshawott vs. Dawn's Piplup

Ash's Oshawott or Dawn's Piplup?

• Ash's Oshawott

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Dawn's Piplup

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
Years
  • Weekly Poll #1

Welcome to the first Pokémon Anime weekly poll, where characters from the series are pitted against each other in a voting war with results decided on by you.

This week's poll is between...

Weekly Poll #1: Ash's Oshawott vs. Dawn's Piplup

Ash's Oshawott

vs.

Weekly Poll #1: Ash's Oshawott vs. Dawn's Piplup

Dawn's Piplup

Images courtesy of Bulbagarden. Thank you!

So which is your favorite? Maybe you dislike both? Come vote on the poll and post your answer! ♫

Last edited:

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I don't like either, but Pochama had a couple of good wins throughout DP, at least one genuinely funny episode dedicated to it, and a good, well-established relationship to Hikari. I can't remember Mijumaru even having that much.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Oshawott.

It knows Razor Shell and is equipped with Aqua Jet, Piplup would probably just use Drill Peck and be done with the fight. I know Oshawott didn't really do much during its run, but I still feel like it could beat Piplup in a battle. I also don't really like Piplup to begin with. They're also both water types, which is a bit of a doosy. I suppose that either could really win, but I just wanted to vote Oshawott since it's got some more interesting moves than Piplup, I guess.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Piplup can throw whirlpools man! Whole whirlpools!

Years
  • Oshawott fan here voting the obvious.

While I absolutely hated how huge of a noob Ash was in Unova as a whole, his Pokemon did have some personality to them, and Oshawott to me was not only a determined battler, he had his fair share of funny moments. I also love Razor Shell, because who doesn't love that scalchop?

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2016
    While I saw much more DP than BW, Oshawott's personality and attitude stuck to me the most.

He was silly, boasted a bit but was a scaredy-cat, and at the beginning knocked off Pikachu from Ash's shoulder so he could be there.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Piplup just more into contest driven than actually battling and knows bit of moves, Oshawott just downright adorable and funny in the anime despite several attempt to ace it's aqua jet to perfection. My heart just belongs to this otterly cuteness.. (get it)

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Oshawott due to having a bit more experience when it comes to battling in my opinion.

Plus it knows the best move in the whole wide world...Aqua Jet xD

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2016
    Oshawott due to having a bit more experience when it comes to battling in my opinion.

Plus it knows the best move in the whole wide world...Aqua Jet xD

Oshawott also knows Aqua Jet, though he had problems with it at first, since he was afraid of opening his eyes underwater.

Years
  • Ah yes, that Aqua Jet issue. It was funny seeing him fail the move because he couldn't open his eyes while using it.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • This is actually a tough poll haha but I think I will choose Oshawott. It might be because I have watched BW more recently than DP but Oshawott's has left more of an impression on me and it was one of my favorite Pokémon of its series. Ash's Oshawott reminds me of Clemont's Chespin, too.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Oshawott also knows Aqua Jet, though he had problems with it at first, since he was afraid of opening his eyes underwater.

Honestly...That kinda angered me. I get that it was nice development point for Oshawott and Ash (and lead to the capture of Palpitoad, one Ash's best but most underused Pokemon,) but it was so frustrating to watch as a water Pokemon struggled with the water type essentially.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    They were both similarly annoying, neither really lovable for me. They both tried to overshadow Pikachu, failing miserably, because, honestly, no one really could ever beat Pikachu's shine. And there were many other Pokémon who tried, like Togepi, Chikorita/Bayleef, Torchik (before its evolution only, though), Deddenne, Squishy, to name just a few. Piplup and Oshawott were probably closest to this goal, but too annoying on their way there, so I can't honestly vote for either one, it's tie for me.

Years
  • I for sure preferred Oshawott. Was never a fan of Dawn which seemed to translate to her entire Pokémon team.. that and Oshawott's cuter by a long shot too, haha.

This is actually a tough poll haha but I think I will choose Oshawott. It might be because I have watched BW more recently than DP but Oshawott's has left more of an impression on me and it was one of my favorite Pokémon of its series. Ash's Oshawott reminds me of Clemont's Chespin, too.

My reasoning as well to an extent. BW was my preferred series and I watched many more episodes so Oshawott had a bigger chance to stand out, and I loooved many of the Oshawott-focused episodes! Especially BW028.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • Piplup wins for me, but I love Oshawott aswell and really wanted to see him evolve. Piplup made the choice to stay in it's first evolution, but with Oshawott it's as if he never reached that stage. Dawn's Piplup had a lot more development overall.

Back