• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Gold vs Silver

Which is better?

• Gold

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Silver

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I preferred Silver because I always had an affinity for Lugia. Kind of sucks the second gen gave more precedence to Ho-Oh and the legendary dogs but then again at least Lugia had its own movie. I would have loved to see a legendary birds and Lugia arc in Kanto to complement Ho-Oh and the dogs in Johto.

That's something I've never liked, either, even if it was understandable. The remakes missed a huge opportunity in canonizing Lugia and the birds.

i always theorized that Lugia created the three birds in a similar fashion of Ho-oh revived the legendary dogs.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    For me, Gold was my first Gen 2 game but I haven't played Silver yet so it's a bit biased if I vote for Gold. Still I find Ho-oh a very good legendary Pokemon.

Years
  • Silver. It was my first Johto game. My mom surprised me with it. I always preferred Lugia also. I got Gold later on, but still prefer Silver.

Years
  • I'm going with Gold.

It was the version I played the most (we had Silver as well, but I never really liked playing it much for some reason, it felt "weird"). I don't remember the exact reason I picked it, I could claim I liked Ho-oh over Lugia, which is true now but wasn't necessarily true back then. Maybe it was the pokemon selection. Maybe I just wanted to be able to catch a Spinarak, even as I lamented over not being able to get Skarmory. Maybe I liked the sprites a bit more. Who knows.

Either way, it's always Gold over Silver for me. :D

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Even though I started with Silver version in Gen II, I pick the Gold version.

I love Ho-oh's design, specially that elegant and magnificent tail of his. ^_^
    He's just so good to look at. ^_^

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Gold because it was the first ever Pokemon game I ever played and not to mention Ho-oh is a stunning Pokemon and a great mascot.

Reactions: Sun

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • I have to say Silver! I owned it and have more nostalgia for it, it was the first Pokemon game I ever played from scratch. I think the sprites are a little better too but that's pretty debatable, they both look pretty good after all. Rose tinted glasses tilt this in Silver's favour!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Silver was my first Gen II game, and imo my first "serious" game, despite Yellow Version being my first Pokémon game, I don't exactly count it for some reason because it felt more like a spin-off than a true Pokémon game in some ways.

Anyway, I love Silver a lot - its exclusives, Vulpix, Meowth, Skarmory, Lugia, etc. and the nostalgia factor. I did own Gold too, but I didn't play it nearly as much. I got my first level 100 Pokémon in Silver Version too, a Dragonite with all HM moves lmao.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    Silver all the way. I always get the 'second' versions; Blue, Silver, Sapphire and so on. I liked Silver mainly because Lugia is super cool and because its version exclusives were (IMO) better.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I pick Silver. When the games came out, I thought Lugia was the cooler looking Pokémon, and the film basically validated that.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2015
    I'm going to have to say gold. It was always my favored of the 2 games, plus it is what I'm currently playing.
    Seeing how I could catch Lugia at lv.70 I never saw any real difference in legendaries but being able to get teddiursa was a plus. I always liked Ursaring since way back when I first pulled an Ursaring in the tcg. Forget what se though.
    Plus Growlithe is another favorite and minus r/b/y you can only get it on gold. I've also had an easier time finding the 1% encounter pokemon like dunsparce, yanma and chansey.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I like the color silver better than gold :p

Lexatom

Blockbuster Advocate
    Years
  • I personally believe Pokemon Gold is the better version. After all, it IS the first game I ever played. It is both the first game I played in the Pokemon series, and the first game I played in general, which makes this game very special to me and my childhood. Even though I hardly knew what I was doing in the game since I was only 4 years old when I first played it, heh.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I prefer Silver simply because I prefer Lugia over Ho-Oh as well as having the ability to use a Vulpix/Ninetales. Pokemon 2000 further justified my stance.

Boured

The Guildmaster
    Years
  • I would say Silver mainly because of how one of the default names was my name, which made me think that this game was made for me to play it. That and I like Lugia a little better than Ho-Oh.

Years
  • Silver for me. It was the first that I got and other than the fact that you get a better shot a Lugia, no other reason behind it. Silver is also more of a favorite color for me too I guess

Back