• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oddball ideas for a Pokemon Hack

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2015
    Have you ever had really oddball ideas for a Pokemon hack that would greatly influence the way that the game is played?

One non-Pokemon example of what I mean is the game Yume Nikki. Yume Nikki is a surreal exploration game using the RPG maker engine. There is no battles in the game whatsoever, and "money" is more of an easter egg than anything usable in the game. Yume Nikki greatly changed what a lot of people thought was possible with the RPG maker engine, as far as (dialogue-less) storytelling and its minimalistic play style.

Lighting Thunder changed what I thought was possible with Pokemon hacks. I love the way that it tells stories with the use of Pokemon instead of trainers, even with the limitations that it has to deal with (e.g. naming your character.... twice). I also admire the way that it implements Pokemon Mystery Dungeon-ques floor tiles, causing effects that I did not know was even possible with a Pokemon ROM. Dedication at its core!

One night I had a dream where there was a Metal Gear Solid-type sneaking mission where you had to get through a warehouse without being seen by the guards, or else be chased down with many Pokemon battles that you would not be likely to make it through. I am not certain if a MGS/Pokemon crossover would be able to be executed, but its a fun idea to entertain.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Somehow I knew when I came in here that this'd be what I'd see. I wouldn't exactly call them oddball, that's basically what I would like to see out of more out of Pokemon hacks. It's an expansive and free engine that should be usable for things other than Pokemon hacks or even Turn-Based RPG hacks.

Regarding the Metal Gear Solid idea, I had an idea that employed similar elements called called "The Thief of Amar"

As for what you said about Lightning Thunder, I'd compare that to Ruby Destiny's Rescue Rangers, which was essentially a Mystery Dungeon premise with a lot of clever ideas, such as party based gameplay, recovery points, optional features, and adventure-based gameplay.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2015
    Are you still planning on working on Thief of Amar?

As for the thread title, I wasn't sure what else to put there. Maybe "Original Pokemon hacks" or "untraditional pokemon hacks"?

I want to work on something that greatly changes the way that "travel" is seen in a Pokemon game, with longer routes and encouraging saving up items. At the same time, I'd love to create something more psychological, as well.

EDIT: A google search brought up your thread. I like the idea you have, although I think that its a bit different from the direction I am going in.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Are you still planning on working on Thief of Amar?

As for the thread title, I wasn't sure what else to put there. Maybe "Original Pokemon hacks" or "untraditional pokemon hacks"?

I want to work on something that greatly changes the way that "travel" is seen in a Pokemon game, with longer routes and encouraging saving up items. At the same time, I'd love to create something more psychological, as well.

EDIT: A google search brought up your thread. I like the idea you have, although I think that its a bit different from the direction I am going in.
    Yeah, it's still being planned, though the ideas in it aren't quite the same as a MGS styled hack. The reason I brought it up, though, is because it follows some of the same concepts as the hack idea that you described.

But I just meant, in my previous post, that I don't really think that the ideas should be considered oddball because I think they're pretty normal ways to look at Pokemon hacking. When you consider how vast and expansive Pokemon Hacking has become and the state that it's in in 2014, it's staggering. And with an engine that has so much to offer, I think that ideas of this nature should be explored because they offer a number of options. There's so much potential in generation 3 that has yet to be untapped, even still.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    Lightning Thunder? Do you mean Super Rising Thunder? I love that hack. I hope it's still being worked on. It's what inspired me to start hacking :<

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2015
    Yes, I meant Super Rising Thunder. Haha, the one in your signature. What made me get into hacking is when I saw a friend insert "Missingno" into Fire Red and made a youtube video of it so that we were tricked into thinking that the RBY Missingno was in the game.

After looking at JPAN's engine, I realized that there is a lot more possible than I thought, now that I know there are even additions such as a timer! Maybe I'll go after my crazy idea after all!

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
    Years
  • One night I had a dream where there was a Metal Gear Solid-type sneaking mission where you had to get through a warehouse without being seen by the guards, or else be chased down with many Pokemon battles that you would not be likely to make it through. I am not certain if a MGS/Pokemon crossover would be able to be executed, but its a fun idea to entertain.

Considering Pokémon has a giant robot, genetically altered clones, and plenty of Pokémon with crazy super powers, this isn't too much of a stretch. Also, the Gen 5 starters.

I dunno if this would ever be physically possible in a ROM hack, but I've often thought about what a Pokémon game where YOU write the dex entries and YOU draw their images would be like. It could be a prequel starring Samuel Oak and your rival is Agatha.

Another idea I had is a hack where the point is to glitch out the game, and every "bug" that you exploit is intentional. It could be a Gen 1 thing where you build around the existing bugs or a Gen 3 hack where every "bug" is scripted, something like that, you get the idea.

Back