• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon childish??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azonic

hello friends
Years
  • The Anime is most undoubtedly childish. Just take a look at some of the characteristics that the Anime has. The characters all act in a polite, goody-goody manner, and they try to stop a team of wimpy bad guys. Also, most of the episodes will teach you a lesson, which is a common characteristic in childish shows and stories.

The games are said to be childish because of the Anime's characteristics and Pokemon's overall childish appearance (cute cuddly electrical yellow mouse awww). It is childish, except for some better, more mature features that were added to the games (EV / IV / Natures, etc). The games have a childish side to it, and a mature side to it. That's all I have to say.
    This is a subject that comes up often, and should really be understood a bit better.

Pokemon is labeled as "childish" because it involves children traveling around and little creatures as their companions. Well, that certainly could be called childish. But there are 40 year olds out there who love Pokemon and are not "nerds" or "childish" at all. As you said in the first post, Pokemon can actually teach people a lot, no matter what their age. It can teach friendship, loyalty, and responsibility. People who label it as "childish" are the real losers because they cannot understand the full potential of "some anime series".
    Please, open your eyes. Just because a small quantity of the older ages enjoy this series does NOT excuse the childish characteristics of a certain franchise. If I was 60 and I watched Bob the Builder, does it make Bob the Builder an adult show? If I was 5 and watched... um... well some rated NC17 crap, does it make it a children's show? No. And psh... lessons in an episode? Wouldn't you say that is a childish characteristic of a show? Okay, the Little Engine that Could teaches us a lesson! That makes it an adult book, right? ...
    -sigh-

Whether I play pokemon or not, I shouldn't really care what people think of me when I do If they don't like Pokemon, then that's them, and I can't really change their mindset about how they feel about the series. I'll mind my own business and they'll mind theirs.

...Even though I never said I would feel just a tad bit uneasy, though(I know, I contradicted myself a bit, but still). ;__;

But in other words, no, pokemon is not childish at all. Anime, mayyyyyybe. Juust a tad bit. But not really at the same time. D:
    ...oh derk.

RaikaCastillo

Spark Javelin!!!
    Years
  • The Anime is most undoubtedly childish. Just take a look at some of the characteristics that the Anime has. The characters all act in a polite, goody-goody manner, and they try to stop a team of wimpy bad guys. Also, most of the episodes will teach you a lesson, which is a common characteristic in childish shows and stories.

The games are said to be childish because of the Anime's characteristics and Pokemon's overall childish appearance (cute cuddly electrical yellow mouse awww). It is childish, except for some better, more mature features that were added to the games (EV / IV / Natures, etc). The games have a childish side to it, and a mature side to it. That's all I have to say.
    Please, open your eyes. Just because a small quantity of the older ages enjoy this series does NOT excuse the childish characteristics of a certain franchise. If I was 60 and I watched Bob the Builder, does it make Bob the Builder an adult show? If I was 5 and watched... um... well some rated NC17 crap, does it make it a children's show? No. And psh... lessons in an episode? Wouldn't you say that is a childish characteristic of a show? Okay, the Little Engine that Could teaches us a lesson! That makes it an adult book, right? ...
    ...oh derk.

Are you trying to say that the logic you are quoting is flawed or are you actually implying that Pokemon is as childish as Bob the Builder and The Little Engine that Could or would be just that except for the natures/EV/IV elements?

EDIT: Even the Anime isn't as Childish as Bob the Builder, which is geared towards ages 2-5. It's more childish than used to be but it's still not that childish.

Last edited:

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    Well they're obviously judging from the anime which is childish as others have said. If you play the game to it's full advantages then it's certainly not childish. It's just a stupid stereotype that sticks with Pokemon.

FalconJoker

Joking with the Devil
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2009
    Hell no Pokemon isn't childish. It's addicting, challenging and just as fun as any game. Some people just need to learn to open there minds, but a lot don't care to try it. I mean hell, look at me. I'm twenty five, in the military and I play it openly. Who cares if they know. I love Pokemon. Always have, always will.

Fredu999

Pro Drummer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2013
    It depends on how you think. It is actually "meant" for children (at least the anime) but when i was young, I didn't understand what was happening at all (not from USA :P).

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Pokemon is a franchise aimed primarily at kids. Yeah, it's childish.

However the difference between Pokemon and a cartoon/franchise that degrades children's intelligence like Dora the Explorer is that, you know, it doesn't treat you like an idiot. Once you get into the franchise there are a million ways to branch out and enjoy it. The fact that it has such an aging following shows the lasting appeal. Most of us got into it when we were kids and have stuck by it. Maybe it's because of its childishness and the nostalgia attached but the games are also good enough that even though we all wish there could be one with more mature themes, we still play them and have fun.

Can't say as much for the anime, though. I think it's gotten worse.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Well,for me,Pokemon is childish though it can be liked by older people.

Im the only one in school who likes Pokemon,therefore,people is teasing me but I would care less about that cause mostly students there are extremly dumb and harsh,which alot of people opinions getting bashed by the students there.They probebly never played its game or stuff,they just like fun of others.

Other then school.The anime looks childish now actully,I dont know why,but the older episode seems more mature.

EV/IV traning is not needed as you can beat the game with out it.So obviously,yes,it is childish,but you shold careless for that.

The Hero Without a Name

Da bee dee da ba mouse...
    Years
  • All of my friends in school tease me because I'm a pokemon fanatic. They say it's for 5 year old's and that it has no value. I completely disagree. I have learned a lot from pokemon. But, what do all of you think? It's pokemon for kids or is it for all ages? And what value does it have? I just want to hear you thoughts! ^_^
    Either
    1) Your friends are just playing around and you shouldn't take it seriously
    2) Your friends are still REALLY immature, but they'll grow out of it in due time.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Nintendo targeted Pokemon to children, but even high school students liked it.
    The EV/IV mechanics and competitive battling strategy makes the game more mature, it even involve some math including number theory.
    I don't tell people I like Pokemon unless someone said he/she liked Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2016
    What makes people believe Pokemon childish is the anime, which pretty much is childish, but the games are another story, so I don't think Pokemon is childish.

TERRA#493

Competitive Battler
    Years
  • An topic which makes me sick. Pokemon has only the "childish" image because of the anime - and the anime episodes were childish. But what makes me angry: Competitive wifi-battling in Pokemon is a challenge, based on strategy and skills. And when you play at an competitive level.. is that childish? Must the characters (Pokemon) have axes, guns and other weapons in their hand? I dont think so..

Cherrim

Years
  • An topic which makes me sick. Pokemon has only the "childish" image because of the anime - and the anime episodes were childish. But what makes me angry: Competitive wifi-battling in Pokemon is a challenge, based on strategy and skills. And when you play at an competitive level.. is that childish? Must the characters (Pokemon) have axes, guns and other weapons in their hand? I dont think so..
    Not every aspect of the game is necessarily childish but... you're still playing a game aimed primarily at children. o_O It's not a bad thing. It's definitely not childish just because of the anime.

TERRA#493

Competitive Battler
    Years
  • Not every aspect of the game is necessarily childish but... you're still playing a game aimed primarily at children. o_O It's not a bad thing. It's definitely not childish just because of the anime.

Say me reasons why its aimed primarily to children. And when you say "Its definitely not childish just because of the anime"... what aspects IN THE EDITIONS do you think, are childish?

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Of course Pokemon is childish, I think deep down that is the reason most of us like/love it, nostalgia, it;s something we grew up with. ;]

Cherrim

Years
  • Say me reasons why its aimed primarily to children. And when you say "Its definitely not childish just because of the anime"... what aspects IN THE EDITIONS do you think, are childish?
    1. Cute little creatures
    2. Nothing dies. (They never go into detail about the graveyards, do they?)
    3. Messages of love and friendship and treating your Pokemon like friends
    4. All the games are rated E.
    5. The protagonist is eternally 10 years old.
    6. The most "mature" theme in any of the games is like... Slowpoke having their tails cut off.
    7. etc, etc, etc.

Why don't you tell me some reasons Pokemon is deep and mature and made for adults? If all you can do is rattle of reasons related to competitive battling, don't. Game mechanics that are rarely touched upon in-game or in official guides and that interest only a small percentage of the population interested in the franchise don't count.

Master of the Shadow

New to pokecommunity
    Years
  • Nothing is too old for someone as long as they love it or it means something to them. I've been playing pokemon and watching the anime since i was like young when it started. Now I play the video game but not watch the anime because I don't have Cartoon Network. -_-

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back