• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SECTION ANNOUNCEMENT: READ RIGHT NOW AND YES THIS MEANS YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
  • This announcement is henceforth null and void. The below is preserved only for posterity.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
  • I can understand how you may be angry over the fact that many have sent you VM's or PM's constantly asking whether or not their RP's got accepted, and then its even worse when you go over their RP's and find that little to no effort has been given, but I hope that in the future when you've had enough time, to at least start giving out advice again. Not for my sake, because I know that I will most likely never make an RP, but there will be others in the future; new people that might not know exactly what should be added, even if there are countless others to be seen and learned from, but mistakes happen, especially to new people.

So I understand you irritation and anger -heck, anyone would be pissed with your kind of job and all the whiny teens :) - but I'm just saying this that hopfully in the future when new people (with new RPs) can at least recieve advice, because the first person they go to won't be their friends, but you.

Monochrome

[♠]♦]♣]♥]
    Years
  • Sorry bout this Alter Ego, I share WolfWhispers feelings on this one and wish to apologize for the community in general, I understand your frustration.

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    I can understand where you are coming from. People bug you, you get annoyed. Trust me, I get annoyed easily. However, I also believe that as an authority figure, you should have handled this in a slightly more mature way. You were quite snappish. You should have gone about this in a more pleasant manner. Whilst I understand the need to be firm in your statement, you were anything but that. I am not saying that you are to be "buddy buddy" with us, but to have handled the matter in a way that an authority figure would, or at least the way an authority figure should.

Alright, I've seriously had enough of this.

Of what, you may ask? Check my freaking VM board, enough said. Shocking news as it may be to you people, I actually do have a real life and commitments in it, commitments which frankly take priority over moderating work. )This sentence does have a bit of sarcastic humor, which not the way to handle problems) I have friends, friends have issues, and I have university exams to study for. I am fully aware of what pace the moderation follows and I EMPATHICALLY DO NOT NEED to be reminded of it by a bunch of whiny teenagers(That is horribly put. It is very rude.) who didn't even spend half as much effort on their actual writing as they do on persistently whining at me for not declining it fast enough for them and who also waste my time and patience in doing so.

Well, you want speed? Fine, you'll get it. From this point on I WILL NOT GIVE OUT ANY SPECIFIC ADVICE OR DETAILS ON WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO CORRECT DECLINED RPs.(This sounds rather arrogant to me. No one asked you to this, you did it on your own will.)

Yes, you read that correctly. This change should improve moderation times considerably because it's by far the most time-consuming part of the process, so freaking smile; you got what you wanted.

That is all.
    (again with the sarcastic humor)

I do understand that you have been driven over the edge with visitor messages, but that is no reason for a post like this. Even though I myself have not created an RP, I still find your little rant offensive. Things like "whiny teenagers" where not needed. I think that you, as an authority figure, should have put more thought into this before you posted it.

I'm going to rebut this because while I do acknowledge objective opinions, there are some arguments you've made that seem a bit misinformed. Of course, I'm not talking on behalf of Alter Ego but just from my own experience here with RPs in general.

First off, just to nitpick the sarcastic humour remarks, while I do agree that they may not be the best way to handle problems such as this, I don't believe there's anything in Alter Ego's post that comes across as overly sarcastic, humorous or a mix of the two. Believe it or not, life outside of PC is more important to some and while he/she is an authority figure here, life comes first. He/she prioritises moderation work above all else here, so I don't think slandering him/her on that is necessarily helpful either.

As for the 'whiny teenagers' remark, yes, it's snappish but it's also more or less true. Think about the majority age of roleplayers here. Many of them are young to late teenagers, so while generalising the masses may be a bit 'rude', it's still applicable, especially when he/she gets swamped with VMs and PMs from them every day about the exact same thing.

Now, your next argument is where I take a little bit of offence to personally. It sounds arrogant to you that Alter Ego chose to offer critiques for RPs but has now stopped doing so because of all the nagging he/she's received and that since no one asked him/her to do this, he/she shouldn't have bothered to in the first place and thus wouldn't be as agitated as he/she is now. But this is where I think you're the most misinformed. People have asked him/her to review their RPs time and time again and from what I know, he/she did this out of his/her own free will in order to help them. It's a privilege that he/she chose to offer everyone and I think a lot of people have taken that for granted. You admitted to not creating any RPs yourself and from your post history, it seems you haven't dabbled in participating in them either, so it's a bit annoying to hear you accuse him/her of being arrogant when it's something most people who roleplay here have and still appreciate.

I do get where you're coming from and again, I'm not speaking on behalf of Alter Ego, but if you want to discuss RP issues, it might be more beneficial for both parties if you knew more about how things work here. I'm no innocent bystander just speaking my mind either, I'm guilty of what Alter Ego's post has addressed too, so I think this is just an issue that should be acknowledged and hopefully righted.

Okay then, I do apologize, I guess that I should be probably stick around and learn more before I do something, eh, I can't think of the word at the moment.

I do still think that it should have been handled in a slightly more mature way, however. And whilst the whiny teenager generalization may be true, it still should not be said.

Last edited:

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • Thumbs up Alter! b(*_*)b Show them who's boss.

If anyone is seriously put off by the lack of advice Alter's going to be giving, you can probably PM your failed submission to a friendly RPer and ask them for comments.

Getsumei

The Avatar of the Beaver
    Years
  • I'm with Rabbit here, good job Alter! XD

This looks almost exactly like when I had a similar meltdown back on another RP site where I'm Admin, due to people whyning over how slow stuff was going, even though we'd explained to them several times that we all had some important stuff going on and people had to be patient until it had all been worked out. So yeah, totally with you there! XD

Lucciola

Vibing with the music
    Years
  • I'm all cool for real life being more important the online life but for those of us who have little choice in the matter it is a bit of a shame but hey I'm cool with it even though I'd like to know why mine didn't go up it's all good because I have responsibilities elsewhere anyway, and I make my role plays as a privilege for people to play in and even though I rarely have time for some of them now days it's because of the combination of real life problems/responsibilities and online issues that I can't always keep up with everyone of them.

So I can feel where you're coming from Alter and even when you commented on the people here as whiny teenagers because in all truth it isn't far off the fact though I myself may not be one of those teenagers or even a whiner because I know that pushing people isn't very nice, and unlike others I read the rules that said not to continuously ask weather an role play is going to start so I figured it'd also work for staff validating the ones as well.

But I do have an idea in that maybe you or whoever else is in charge to get someone else to help moderate this part of the forum so that people can have the time off they deserve and people that have the time can take up or help at your posting and it goes without saying they'd better to be someone with good and or long role play experience, either way I hope things work out for you and that this place's role play forum doesn't die like many other places I know of.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Okay then, I do apologize, I guess that I should be probably stick around and learn more before I do something, eh, I can't think of the word at the moment.

I do still think that it should have been handled in a slightly more mature way, however. And whilst the whiny teenager generalization may be true, it still should not be said.

The same could be said for your own behavior. Stepping in completely new and uninformed to lecture someone who has been around for years about their 'arrogance' is hypocritical to say the least, as is flat-out insulting someone in the same sentence where you condemn them for not being nice enough to others.

It is very easy to judge when you are not the one making the decisions, and to simply assume that this is some kind of instantaneous knee jerk reaction I gave without any rhyme, reason or thought to it. This was certainly not my first option, and I have already tried to resolve this matter personally with people as well as through other means that wouldn't mean anybody's lose, but none of these attempts produced any concrete change.

Second, as has already been said, detail on declines is something I get regularly asked for (I have already received questions about it now, despite this announcement) which is why I gave it out to everyone on default to save the time of all involved. It is neither fun nor particularly rewarding for me, nor is it anything I am obligated to do, so I most certainly am not pushing it unwanted to anyone. Yes, I am sick and tired of people taking it for granted and treating it like something I'm obligated to do for them, just as I am sick and tired of every last little whiner and conceited newcomer who wants to come around and tell me he how to do my job, but that is not why I made this change. The reason I made it? See above. Moderation does go a lot faster and can be completed at times when detailed moderation would not get done, which is what this change was implemented to do. Dropping the details is a change of efficiency first and foremost; not one of personal spite.

Could I have phrased myself nicer and given this a sugar coating and a pretty little cherry on top? Absolutely. Did I feel any inclination to do so? No, not really. Would I, in retrospect, write that differently? Most likely yes. Does that give you the right to lecture me after taking that condescending approach and failing to provide any concrete alternative? No, not really.

If you've got a problem with somebody else's tone, I'd suggest that you clean up your own first if you actually want to be taken seriously. Talking about how important it is not to put things rudely when you yourself do so is just not very convincing.

As for going back to detailed? That will happen when and if I feel inclined to change back to it. For the foreseeable future, however, I don't, and I strongly urge for everyone who does want it back to not nag me about it. That is part of the problem; not the solution.

Let me stress, this is by no means aimed at everyone or even the majority. It is just a loud, obnoxious minority that I need a break from.

This thread has also lived long past its prime already, so I think this calls for a padlock.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Just a small update for you guys.

I think I've had enough of a breathing break now, and fast as it is it just goes against me to watch people doing things horribly wrong and not explain why. SO

WE'RE BACK IN BUSINESS PEOPLE. DETAILED COMMENT WILL BE GIVEN AS USUAL.

My thanks to those who respected my need for space and to Loki for a much appreciated intrusion on the thread moderation. Hopefully this will be the last time I need to do something like this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back