• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What Game Should I Get?

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2015
    Hey guys. I am new here, and I have never played a Pokemon game. I do not have a DS/3DS, but I do have a GBA. I think I am going to get Leaf Green, since I love Bulbasaur so much. What are your thoughts?:) Though I will not be getting a Pokemon game soon, because I have to finish completing my other video games.:(

Melodika

Please don't eat me
    Years
  • LeafGreen's a great choice, man! I loved playing through Kanto and I think you'll like it, too.

And if you're open to GBA games, you could also try a Hoenn one (Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald), as Hoenn is a great region as well.

Happy gaming! :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Unless you want to trade with the Hoenn games, just play the original RBY over FRLG (which can still be done on a GBA). Even with the horribly outdated graphics and mechanics, they're still a more enjoyable experience than their lazy remakes, IMO. (Plus, Bulbasaur's line kicks ass in the original RB thanks to crithax Razor Leaf and the Leech Seed/Toxic glitch.)

As for Hoenn, no question that Emerald's the best. More complete storyline, Battle Frontier, and slightly better graphics.

While a little off-topic, I'd also recommend Crystal from Gen 2. It can also be played on a GBA, and despite its age, is still generally considered to be one of the best Pokémon games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    If you're just starting out, you can't beat the originals. Red/Blue are awesome, back to where it all began and still classic and timeless despite the aged graphics. Yellow is more of the anime storyline where you're able to pick up Pikachu plus all the three original starters; cause of that I always felt it was a bit too easy mode. Second generation, Crystal is the best for sure and in the third gen, definitely Emerald.

kyuubi93

What a bother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    My favorite two games out of generation 3 were Emerald and Fire Red. Emerald because the changes from Ruby/Sapphire brought the Hoenn region to life with the Rayquaza event before the 8th gym, and the Elite 4's champion is also more of a challenge. The only differences in Fire Red and Leaf Green are Pokemon in certain locations, that's about it. I like Fire Red's wild Growlithe more than Leaf Green's wild Vulpix, but that's just my preference. :P

OliDSi

Pokemon Friend
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2015
    You should start with LeafGreen. I started with FireRed and it's awesome!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • LeafGreen is a great place to start since it's a remake of the original games. :) Can't go wrong there plus you can use Bulbasaur and its evolutions! If you can't get a copy of LeafGreen, you can still use Bulbasaur in FireRed. There aren't huge differences between the two aside from certain Pokemon you can get in one copy and not the other. Here is a list you can look at and make a decision from there. :) After you finish that game, if you end up enjoying FireRed/LeafGreen and want to play another game in the series, I recommend checking out Emerald next if you still don't have a DS or 3DS when you get to that point.

If you plan on buying Pokemon GBA games online, please be very wary of fakes. There is a handy guide in the FAQ in this section to identifying fakes, so I suggest you read it when you get the chance. If you find a copy on Amazon or eBay that you are considering for purchase, you should come back to this thread and post pictures and get advice. The GBA games are faked a lot and most people end up getting fake cartridges unknowingly. :( If you buy from a local used game shop though, I'd say you're in good hands. They're usually good at checking games to make sure they aren't fake and are in working condition.

Good luck! I'm excited for you to play your first Pokemon game! n__n

Years
  • I'm working on FireRed right now but I think that and LeafGreen are a great choice to start your adventure. My first pokemon game was Blue so Kanto region is always going to be my favorite.

I managed to snag FR/LG/R/S/E for a total of 40 bucks online too! Let me know if you want me to patch you a link to it might save you some money to buy all 5 for 40 bucks instead of LeafGreen for 20-30 bucks.

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    You should better start playing Pokemon Blue, I think that it will be a new experience to you and when you start playing a newer one, you will notice the new things and will enjoy them. Also, there are more than six hundred Pokémon and more than three hundred movements, so... why don't you start knowing them from the beginning?

When you reach the 3rd Generation, then you should play Pokemon Leaf Green and, after that, Pokemon Emerald.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    If you're willing to take a longer time to know Pokemon and you're new to it, I recommend playing all the gens, from Red/Blue/Yellow to OR/AS.

If you want a short one, start from FireRed/LeafGreen.

LadyVenus

Team Cipher
    Years
  • I agree with your choice, LeafGreen is a great choice as well as an outstanding remake, in my opinion. Pokemon Emerald is also a great choice! You get to battle two evil teams, and catch quite a few legendaries. The GBA games are great, and I hope you enjoy them!

Years
  • Like the others said, FR/LG and Emerald would be your best shots for a good 3rd Gen experience. The former plays like the originals but with some new mechanics added in, plus Emerald has a very decent postgame.

But if you plan to get into Pokemon long-term, you can go by what Giovanni said and play all the games and see how they improve with each new instalment.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • My personal recommendation goes a bit with Hika and Giovanni said. If you want to go long term, play from the beginning, if you're going short term play FireRed (the one i like more) and then Emerald.

ALthough i would really recommend you play from the beginning or at the very least play Crystal before or right after FR/LG. Crystal is still in my top 3 Pokemon games all time (not counting spinoffs) and it was a great opening game for me when I started out.

Let the nostalgia begin :)

Back