• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime & Manga Derivative Work

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2016
    Just found out that Trans-Pacific Partnership is trying to make a deal to make any derivative work done based off of existing Anime and Manga will be criminalized and deemed illegal if not approved by the author.
    This includes doujin manga, fan fiction, fan art, and cosplaying. Yes. Cosplay.
    This could end Anime Conventions. ._.

If passed, 12 countries (including Japan and the USA) will have made it illegal to cosplay as anime or manga characters, to create fan fiction or art, and to make comics based off the author's story without permission by the author. Even if the author files no charges, you can still be charged by authorities.
    I believe I read that the treaty must be signed here shortly, and hopefully it isn't passed.

Sources: http://goboiano.com/original/3219-a...minals-with-new-international-trade-agreement
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHAcb9CbwlA

Last edited:

Outlier

You'd think that most of this "derivative work" would actually help promote whatever anime/manga they were based on. I know I've been turned onto certain anime after watching a cool AMV or seeing some interesting fan art.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Oh gawd. I hope the hell this doesn't pass. I'll be so upset if it does because I cosplay at an anime convention yearly. I can't believe a bill like this was even thought up! My anime convention is really the only way I can make friends. I don't get out much because of my special needs, and it's hard for me to mingle with just anyone. I hope they take into consideration the amount people who live for anime conventions like I do. D:

Edit: I googled this, and it looks like anything I find dates back to feb. 2015 at the latest. Can you link to any sources or whatever stating this to be happening now? O_o

Last edited:

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I love how motivated people become upon realization of self-interest

Things like the Trans-Pacific Partnership are internationalized versions of the cancer that devoured the United States economically

The irony is that very same self-interest is what allowed these groups to take advantage of the public in the first place

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2016
    Oh gawd. I hope the hell this doesn't pass. I'll be so upset if it does because I cosplay at an anime convention yearly. I can't believe a bill like this was even thought up! My anime convention is really the only way I can make friends. I don't get out much because of my special needs, and it's hard for me to mingle with just anyone. I hope they take into consideration the amount people who live for anime conventions like I do. D:

Edit: I googled this, and it looks like anything I find dates back to feb. 2015 at the latest. Can you link to any sources or whatever stating this to be happening now? O_o

Just edited OP. Sources are there.
    Trans-Pacific Partnership is trying to do all this in secrecy.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Gonna shift this one over to Anime & Manga. Feel like it fits best there. Mods, feel free to move this to Round Table if you think it's more appropriate.

Also, it's a bizarre world we live in where Japan without cosplay is potentially a thing.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I have a feeling this won't pass. Considering how popular it is in Japan alone, I'm pretty sure their smart enough to not allow this. For the US however... that's what scares me the most. D: I'm not saying that the US isn't as smart, I'm just saying that they have the notion to skim through the bill and sign it without fully reading it. I could be wrong. I'm really praying this doesn't go through because it's going to jeopardize the anime and manga community as we know it too.

However, if you think about it, I think it won't go through. Hopefully, everyone sees how utterly ridiculous this bill is. It goes against our freedom of speech or whatever. Can you imagine how many people would end up in jail for merely cosplaying a certain character or drawing an anime character or whatever? That would fill up the jails far more than ever imagined. I honestly hope they will do everything in their power to make the right choice. Let's hope these countries won't be fooled by the big print and fail to read the much smaller print so to speak...

Back