• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Did you get the physical or digital version of the game?

Physical or Digital copy?

• I got a physical copy of X/Y

Votes: 72 90.0%
  • I got a digital copy of X/Y

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • I got both

Votes: 4 5.0%

• Total voters

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
  • I got a physical copy of X, because that time, I like seeing the box art, the cartridge and everything that I can hold. Even though nowadays I'm considering if I should buy the digital version in any time soon.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Is getting a digital copy really that risky? I've noticed that some of you have said something like that in here.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • Is getting a digital copy really that risky? I've noticed that some of you have said something like that in here.

What if you ended up losing your system, and on the off-chance that you wanted to revisit this game 10 years from now, wanted to pick up where you left? Also, there's no guarantee that Nintendo's servers will be there for redownloading your game in the future, or even if you just don't have access to the net for some reason.

Having it all there on the cartridge is waaay more convenient and reliable, to me.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • I own a physical copy of X, which I bought when it first came out, and a digital copy of Y, which came predownloaded on my 2DS when I bought it at Christmas time last year.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • Physical copies. In Australia, internet is horrible unless you live in Sydney or Melbounre, meaning it'd take ages to download both X/Y. On top of that, if you lose your SD card/3DS, you're done for, and something you can put in a case and onto a shelf is nice.

J a s m i n e ©

Girl Trainer Domination
    Years
  • I have a physical copy of X. I prefer the physical copy and I agree with previous posts about digital copies being too risky. If something happens to your 3DS/2DS you're screwed. I do agree that digital copies are more convenient. You don't have to worry about traveling to the nearest store to get a copy of the game. Fortunately for me, I live around the corner from a GameStop and I work next door to a Walmart.

Years
  • I couldn't imagine not having a physical copy lol, it's so much fun seeing what the cartridge will look like (well, moreso in the Gameboy era when you got different coloured cartridges lol but you know what I mean) :) Not to mention the cases themselves, very often a game can be picked based on the mascot and it's nice having the physical copy so you can look at the artwork :)

I'm that way with everything though not just video games, like I'll always prefer having an actual book in my hands as opposed to buying a Kindle or something lol.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • What if you ended up losing your system, and on the off-chance that you wanted to revisit this game 10 years from now, wanted to pick up where you left? Also, there's no guarantee that Nintendo's servers will be there for redownloading your game in the future, or even if you just don't have access to the net for some reason.

Having it all there on the cartridge is waaay more convenient and reliable, to me.

Plus, there's that added satisfaction and pleasure knowing that you actually own. That you can hold the game in your hand and actually feel it. With digital copies, I don't know..it doesn't feel like I own the game. If that makes sense?

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
    Years
    • ~
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    I don't like juggling physical game cartridges around, so I have digital copies of both X and Y. To me, it feels like a safer alternative: I can easily back up my saves and I can't lose the cartridges somewhere because there is nothing to lose. I don't get all the fuss about digital copies being unreliable or risky.

I guess I'm also kind of paranoid about accidentally bumping the cartridge while the game is saving and corrupting the save data or just plain breaking the thing, so digital copies feel a lot 'safer' to me in that regard. Plus I don't have to drag my lazy butt into a store on the launch day or wait for a preordered copy to arrive; I can just download the game as soon as it hits the Eshop in the comfort of my own home. There isn't really anything risky about digital copies save for breaking/losing your 3DS, and even that's not really a problem if you just, you know, take good care of your damn console. :U

EDIT: and I guess there's the added benefit of not having a huge bunch of pointless cardboard/plastic boxes lying around. Better for the environment, I guess?
    This is probably also a part of why I like Steam. No physical games, no physical garbage.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Physical. I have two copies of both versions and they're all physical versions, as I couldn't be bothered to install the digital version on my XL. Maybe if the capture card mods for the XL release, I would, but right now it's not something I can feel bothered to do.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2015
    Physical for X and Y here.

Just bought a digital one of Sapphire though.

Years
  • why would you get a digital copy damn

there is none of that amazing box opening feeling with digital copies, and we all love that box opening feeling, don't we?

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    I prefer buying physical copies of games because I don't typically like the hassle of having to use up space on my SD card (or any memory device on a console in general). However, I lost my physical copy when I was out once so I had to resort to buying a digital copy. I couldn't wait. >-<

To this day I still lament the loss of my completed game and bomb team. D':

Back