• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Character Help

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
Years
  • Anyone can use this for character help with their fics.

I need help! I need a male Protagonist for my new fic "Birth of the Lake Trio" I have saved it in Word for now until I can find a male protagonist...BUT I CAN'T THINK OF ONE! I have Writer's Block! Please anyone help me!

I need to know the following:

-Name
    -Looks(Hair style/colour, eye color etc.)
    -Wordrobe(clothes he has/ is wearing)
    -Pokemon he has(what they can evolve into would help too ;)
    -Personality

Please! I am in dire need of some help!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Usually, when you create a story, the first thing you think of is actually the main character. Otherwise, there's really no story to begin with.

That said, rather than help you via that little profile thing (which I always feel is a little forced because it makes me think you're inserting requested characters, rather than using the creativity you should be using anyway to come up with one yourself), I'll give you an idea of where to start. Take a long, serious look at your story. What is it about? What is the story? Is it a generic journeyfic, or is there something else here?

Now, I ask you these things because they bring up the question of, "Who do you need?" The story's lifeblood flows through its main characters. It's the characters who act out the plot and build the world, so without them, you're literally left with nothing. By thinking of the story, you should automatically jump to the kind of protagonist you need. An out-and-out hero? A chosen one? Some ordinary kid caught up in a whole mess? Who does the story need?

Okay, so got that character concept? It only has to be a line. Not even a sentence. Just say something like "a brave hero" or "a new trainer." When you have that concept, think about the story again. Shape the character based on that concept and your storyline. If you need a brave hero, you might have a scrappy kid who runs into battles head first. If you need someone shy to work up to the status of a hero, you might have a pale, heavyset boy who can't bring himself to speak to other people all that much at first.

Even clothing and Pokemon might reflect the concept you get from the story. A brave but possibly moronic kid will probably wear bolder colors and short sleeves and carry around Fire-type Pokemon. A shy kid might wear dark colors and long sleeves and partner up with a Water-type. Yes, it's judging a book by its cover, but let's face it. You're writing in a canon that's full of stereotypes as it is.

Point is, because we don't know your story (i.e. the part when and after the kid comes in), we can't really help you because we seriously don't know what you need. Not to mention it's just the easy way out if you ask us. The point of a story is to come up with your own ideas (partly because it's necessary for writing anyway and partly because no one's better at coming up with ideas for a fic than the author him or herself), so it's just better if you stop and think for awhile about what it is you're trying to write.

Good luck.

Blue Angel

Living for now
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2016
    Wow Jax
    I read what you said because I need help too, and it really helped me identify who my character was - what type of person.

Except Garrett is the one who walks between those two types of people. He is shy, but leaps before he thinks. He is friendly and semi-outgoing. He wears blues - the middle favorite color - and he uses a grass type (I wanted water originally - but he is so much better this way).

Thanks again Jax. You also inspired me with part of my story. ^ ^

Blue Angel

Living for now
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2016
    What style are you aiming for? Comedic? Romance? Just Friends?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Well I have the real Protagonist, a female. I just need a male

What's the difference? You still need to look at your story and figure out what it is you need. Given the fact that he is a protagonist, he's still going to factor into the story the same way as I've described above.

So, yeah, think for awhile about what kind of person your story calls for. Maybe think about your female protagonist as well as the other main characters in your story and figure out what kind of relationships you want them to have with your character, as Blue Angel suggested. (Don't forget the antagonists when you consider this!)

Also, to Blue Angel, no problem. Glad to help.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • What style are you aiming for? Comedic? Romance? Just Friends?

I was aiming for just friends at the beging and have it progress into a romance thing and don't worry guys, I got the antag all figured out ;)

EDIT: Jax, what you said at first got me thinking and I think I finally got my male protagonist!!! His name is Evan, he likes Fire and Electric types, he is very quiet, sometimes antisocial, he is kinda like Ruby from RSE but not as sissy, his fave pokemon is his Flareon named Blaze

So, what do you think??

Last edited:
    Back