• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen New Legendary Pokemon - Xerneas and Yveltal

Which do you prefer?

• Pokemon X

Votes: 148 34.6%
  • Pokemon Y

Votes: 192 44.9%
  • Both

Votes: 88 20.6%

• Total voters

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oh right Levitate too. In some way it'll be able to avoid stuff from the ground I'm assuming :x

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Yeah, or if it's Dragon I guess it'll be floating even though it may not be given levitate, sort of like the Tao trio which can fly but don't have either levitate or are part flying.

If Xerneas is indeed part electric, and if Yvetal is indeed part Fire (I'm guessing it'll be dark but one may never know) I see the third being Water as a call back to the beasts sort of like how the Tao trio were a call back to the bird trio.

Years
The most useful cover legendaries with abilities, were the Hoenn mascots. The rest all have pressure...or some form of mold breaker, except for Giratina who has levitate in it's cover forme (Origin forme). So perhaps they'll have pressure again, or some mold breaker...maybe even a form of levitate...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
The most useful cover legendaries with abilities, were the Hoenn mascots. The rest all have pressure...or some form of mold breaker, except for Giratina who has levitate in it's cover forme (Origin forme). So perhaps they'll have pressure again, or some mold breaker...maybe even a form of levitate...

Really that's not all entirely true. Drizzle is nice but only in competitive play seeing as you can't use Kyogre in any of the facilities. It also opens the owner up to its weaknesses a bit more than normal. Same with Drought on Groudon. Air Lock Rayquaza is also fairly useless as an ability unless you are trying to battle against weather teams. Either way this is all just in the competitive aspect. Truely they are no more useless than Pressure which causes your opponent to run out of attacks twice as fast.

Their usefulness isn't any better than any other cover legend. So it really doesn't effect what abilities the two new ones can have.

Honestly...Reshiram and Zekrom's are better. Reshiram/Zekrom's allow his attacks to hit past defensive abilities. I mean its special Mold Breakers.

Their abilities allow them to attack through these abilities:
Battle Armor
Big Pecks
Clear Body
Contrary
Damp
Dry Skin
Filter
Flash Fire
Flower Gift
Heatproof
Heavy Metal
Hyper Cutter
Immunity
Inner Focus
Insomnia
Keen Eye
Leaf Guard
Levitate
Light Metal
Lightningrod
Limber
Magic Bounce
Magma Armor
Marvel Scale
Motor Drive
Multiscale
Oblivious
Own Tempo
Sand Veil
Shell Armor
Shield Dust
Simple
Snow Cloak
Solid Rock
Soundproof
Sticky Hold
Storm Drain
Sturdy
Suction Cups
Tangled Feet
Telepathy
Thick Fat
Unaware
Vital Spirit
Volt Absorb
Water Absorb
Water Veil
White Smoke
Wonder Guard
Wonder Skin

I'm hoping they do something similar with Reshiram/Zekrom's ability.

Years
Well weather rules competive battling these days it seems, so I see theirs as very useful...but that's just me. Of course Zekrom and Reshiram are useful too, just never really used them much...
Anyways on topic, I hope that the legends have whole new abilities that aren't Cloud nine, or Mold breaker by another name (Air lock, and Turboblaze, and Teravolt) as I'll like to see some diversity in abilities. Maybe give Xerneas Sap sipper...while as useful as the already mentioned abilities it seems like it'll fit it well being a Stag and all.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think it'll likely be something related to genetics. Whether it's gene-altering or not - I don't know. But I'm sure it'll have something to do with that.

H.Vega

Johto Wanderer...
Years
I like the genetics idea, but I think they're related to Norse myth. Xerneas might be based around one of the four stags, Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór, that guard the tree. Yveltal might be based on Nidhogg, Veðrfölnir the hawk, or the unnamed eagle that sits upon Yggdrasil, the world tree.

Then again, who's to say they can't do both?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I think it could be both genetics and Norse mythology.

There's nothing that said they can't combine influences....that might actually be more interesting because it will be less predictable what will happen.

Years
Also it can be a pun on the family tree.
Perhaps this generation will have changed breeding 'genetics' (aka mechanics).

Anyways perhaps Xerneas stores the genome within those horns, sort of like Mew has all the genes of every Pokemon (except for the weather trio, Dragon trio, and Regis (man made), Arceus, Lake trio, and maybe even the Tao trio (not sure on this one)). The evil team may want that data so that they can create the Ultimate Pokemon.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I like the genetics idea, but I think they're related to Norse myth. Xerneas might be based around one of the four stags, Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór, that guard the tree. Yveltal might be based on Nidhogg, Veðrfölnir the hawk, or the unnamed eagle that sits upon Yggdrasil, the world tree.

Then again, who's to say they can't do both?
They can easily base their designs off of Norse mythology, but influence their back story in the games on genetics.

The evil team may want that data so that they can create the Ultimate Pokemon.
Don't you think that would feel to repetitive and closely related to the story of Mewtwo though? Although, I could see Newtwo fitting in with the purpose of Yveltal and Xerneas here with that idea.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Maybe those Pokemon together have created lots of abnormalities in DNA everywhere, and thus why they need to stay parted? Relative to genetics and means norse mythology can still fit in!

Years
Perhaps. I read a theory that perhaps the two legends may create something when traded... it'll be interesting if that were to come true...

Perhaps these two legends cause Pokemon to mutate (maybe Sylveon and Newmew mutated do to their presence?)

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
Perhaps. I read a theory that perhaps the two legends may create something when traded... it'll be interesting if that were to come true...

Perhaps these two legends cause Pokemon to mutate (maybe Sylveon and Newmew mutated do to their presence?)

That would be pretty strange. We have the Pokemon to back it up, but I'm not sure if that's their purpose in it. I suppose that would kinda explain X and Y, but mutation is still kinda crazy. Or maybe I'm thinking of it incorrectly... modification perhaps? Although since we are speaking of genetics, mutation probably is the proper word. Just makes them sound evil... *shudder*

As for trading, they always make some new mechanic with each generation (or at least it feels like it) so I wouldn't be surprised.

Both look amazing. I'm pre-ordering both!!!

Eh. I'm not crazy for pre-ordering. I'll just buy Y on the day it comes out and get X for my birthday two weeks later (or vice versa). Pretty sweet deal imo.

Years
Wouldn't that mean Xerneas and Yveltal would have to be present in the upcoming Genesect/Mewtwo movie?
Kyurem's movie didn't have Reshiram and Zekrom, and it could still change forms. Also the Deoxys movie lacks the meteors needed to transform it. Anime forme changes aren't always like the games' version.

Years
Xerneas looks amazing, the other one is pretty meh. But that's how I like it, for me there's been a main legendary with a way better design than the other since R/S/E which has made it easy for me to choose which version to buy.

Groudon > Kyogre, Dialga > Palkia, Reshiram > Zekrom

Ho-oh vs Lugia was a bit closer though. Anyway I'm happy with the designs for this reason.

GrayJM9

Playing White 2
Years
  • Seen May 14, 2013
What types will Xerneas and Yveltal be?

I have no clue what types they will be, so this will be a fun guessing game to look back at when the types are released.

Back