• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen This reminds me so much of 1st Gen...

Years
  • In the Unova Pokedex, we had a few notable Pokemon who had designs that were a shoutout of sorts to the Pokemon from 1st Gen, notable examples including the Roggenrola, Timburr and Woobat lines to name a few. They did a good job with the influence, but at the same time still made them have some uniqueness of their own.

That said, did you find this interesting? Are you hoping for more games to do twists on classic designs like this?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I actually really disliked a lot of them. This is the first game since Gen I that had an entirely unique regional dex, I believe, but a lot of them I'd describe as clones rather than shoutouts, and at some point it messes with my sense of realism. Seriously, there are now two species of Pokémon that evolved to look like a Poké Ball?

It feels like they wanted to design a totally new set of Pokémon for the region but really just took the easiest path and copied a bunch of the designs with slight adjustments.

Years
  • I actually liked the shoutouts with the designs, because Black & White were heavily advertised as a reboot and it gives off the feel you're discovering Pokemon games all over again. Plus I think most of these designs are more cooler looking than the Kanto Pokemon they were influenced by.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    I really like 5th gen, its one of my favorites. I honestly expected Basculin, Alomomola or even like Stunfisk to evolve into a Gyarados analogue but that never happened :(

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I really like the way Gamefreak handled it by simply introducing a whole new region with a whole new bunch of pokemon. When they said they wanted to make the players feel like they are playing the games again, with a different facelift and a paintjob, they did deliver very well.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    The knee-jerk reaction is you don't like it because everything's different but when you play through the game, damn. This game is well-made and most of these designs are really good. People forget there are bad designs and bad Pokemon in Gen 1. Every Gen has amazing Pokemon and poopy Pokemon (in everyone's own opinion). So why is Gen 5 bad? It isn't! It's great!

Years
  • The knee-jerk reaction is you don't like it because everything's different but when you play through the game, damn. This game is well-made and most of these designs are really good. People forget there are bad designs and bad Pokemon in Gen 1. Every Gen has amazing Pokemon and poopy Pokemon (in everyone's own opinion). So why is Gen 5 bad? It isn't! It's great!

You make a good point, every generation does have its "bad" Pokemon but there's always some positives you really need to see deep down.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I agree, Gen V remind me a lot of Gen I. It's like what would've been Gen I in another universe :D
    Machop > Timburr
    Swoobat > Woobat
    Munna > Drowzee
    Pidove > Pidgey
    Roggenrola > Geodude
    Trubbish > Grimer
    Audino > Chansey
    Throh/Sawk > Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan
    Jellicent > Tentacruel
    Bouffalant > Tauros
    Klink > Magnemite

I loved this generation. I hated it at first, but that was when I didn't even give it a try. But then my girlfriend bought it for me for Christmas and I already started to love the game right from the start :)

atmmachine11

Jumping portals since 1997.
    Years
  • My favorite two Pokemon generations just so happen to be 1st gen and 5th gen, that being said, of course I love these shutouts as you call them. What I really liked about Gen 5, is I felt it started to actually give us some really unique Pokemon (such as an Ice cream cone) I know a lot of people hate this, and actually detest gen 5 for having weird designs, but I for one welcome them. I also really like stuff like Bisharp, since he's basically a power ranger. I felt a lot of the designs in gen 5 were very unique and unlike gen 1, whereas in gen 1 it's sort of a stark contrast with Pokemon almost all looking exactly like a real life animal.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    i liked the idea behind it because like in nature different regions have many similar animals, but they're unique to where they live. i just wish the unova's version of these pokemon weren't so ugly. rather than complain about all the bad ones here's the ones i liked

drowzee/munna
    tauros/bouffalant
    persian/liepard
    vileplume/victreebel-lilligant/whimsicott
    muk/garbodor

there are others i like too, but they're not totally comparable to the first gen

Years
  • Generally speaking, Pokémon created just to fill the gap left by certain other roles being left out needn't be novel, and already came up in Gen. III with Taillow, Zigzagoon, and so on. It's more like a like-for-like substitution in football, as it were, than a shout-out, technically. In any case, while a couple of those names come across as slightly self-deprecating on their part: 'woobat' in contrast to 'Zubat,' emphasising 'woo' in a slightly cynical manner, for instance, while 'Roggenrola' of course would have been identified with the hidden Regis and their names, while nonetheless adding a slightly unserious reference to rock 'n' roll in the sense of generic enthusiasm. Evidently, there was little motivating them at the time to be too respectful about Gen. I, when most of their promotion at the time was that Gen. I and such were lacking things and hence of improvements of some kind to those, etc. In addition, the series is quite identified with the first generation of games, as well as their Pokémon, and as such they probably wouldn't have wanted to distract others or give others a chance to focus too much on those instead of the newer ones. Often they're more inclined towards ripping 'themselves' off, and of course a feature being new wouldn't stand out if there wasn't a significant similarity for the changes to it to stand out. There was a lot less atmosphere and direction to B&W as well, which means that generally it would come across more as taking and bringing it to seem like Gen. V rather than anything else in favour of such games.

Back