• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Going at it :/

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    Helloo pokemonders:)
    Recently ive decided to play pokemon.last game i played was pokemon red.so im thinking playing 1 game from each gen so begining from gen 2 i guess?not sure whats in fire red.well i want to start at firered.than go from there.i really like some of the hacked roms but i have never seen any of the pokemons...
    Was hoping to share my gameplay and feedback as i play.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    I'd say FireRed/LeafGreen would be a good comeback to the series, just like it was for me - pretty much the same game as the gen1 ones only with bugs fixed, general improvements and adjusting to what gen3 brought into the mechanics. And what I consider a downside of those two games - no way of getting species introduced in gen2 and gen3 before the postgame - might be advantageous for you, with not too much to take in at once. Plus well, no matter how much Pokémon veterans laugh at the help system present in FR/LG, it does have a purpose, so it could, well, help you.

Other way you could go by is going from gen1 onwards, let's say for example, Red/Blue, Crystal, Emerald, FireRed/LeafGreen, Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver and the later games. That in turn would give you some better pacing when it comes to being introduced to new mechanics, but at the cost of starting with less information given in-game (for example note that gen1 games don't even show you the powers or the descriptions of the moves you have so it's pretty much just a guesswork).

I was in the same situation as you a few years ago, coming back to the franchise after a years-long break from Red. The order I went with was was: FireRed, Emerald, HeartGold, Platinum, Black, Black2. And only later did I play Red again and Crystal for the first time.

Whichever order you pick, good luck and have fun!

Years
  • FR/LG are attempts at re-making the early games, so if you've already played those I don't see why you'd want to start with effectively the same things. Not that much has changed, they aren't separate games per se. You could, of course, start with the second generation if you want a quick start, as the beginning becomes increasingly more laborious as time goes on, but that may depend. Whichever you prefer, playing through the different ones would seem slightly disorderly, as you don't particularly have any clear idea which is good or if you'd want to continue past a certain point, and if you're just getting back into it rather than having any particular enthusiasm for the series then you might recommend looking into which games seem most suitable, rather than presupposing a linear development in series of Pokémon games.

Anyway, the third gen are perhaps a decent combination of accessibility or shiny impressive things and gameplay for such as you, but can perhaps seem a bit gaudy for a beginning, the second gen might be best for players more interested in the series, the fourth gen is a bit slow and perhaps a bit 'animated' for new players (eg. 'Starly' and 'Bidoof' replacing 'Pidgey' and 'Rattata,' although perhaps Starly could be of some trivial interest if you stuck with it for a bit), but I mean if you wanted to start those out you might notice some of the newer Pokémon, and in that sense you might want to choose carefully. Newer generations, apart from perhaps in the Johto games, which is to say G/S, do tend to be a bit light on earlier Pokémon and might not help with that, so if for some reason you wished to use them as a sort of Safari for surveying Pokémon, you might want to keep that in mind. I mean, someone saying something like, 'I used to like the FF games [eg. the Hunger Games but with Missingno in charge of such things], then stopped, now I'm going to play each of them in order,' might come across as a bit more akin to a fan, so you might not want to go in that enthusiastically if you do. Presumably you might have a reason for playing them, and want to play the ones which suit this, but the reasons for your interest are at this point fairly unclear.

Other way you could go by is going from gen1 onwards
    That particular order seems a bit problematic, as most of that time is spent on spin-offs or re-makes, and if they wished to get an impression of any particular gen of games, they might want to focus on the actual core, for instance Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire, etc., rather than games which are basically just 'Gold/Silver with more focus on Suicune,' 'Ruby/Sapphire with a different plot-line focusing on Rayquaza,' re-treads, etc. Presumably you don't experience one gen by experiencing a different one.

Back