• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Improve a Character.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
In this thread, you can improve a Pokemon trainer from the anime or one of their Pokemon. Anywhere from team improvisation to move changes. Have fun with this. Also, this goes without saying, avoid changing everything because "that trainer sucks", please.

Years
Some of that may indeed occur.

Anyway, the straightforward answer to this would be that Pikachu could evolve into a Raichu. Less straightforwardly, it could have more of an impact on Ash and their team, reacting to the battles or having preferences involving training - not wanting to continually get put into type-advantage battles after having trouble with a few, instead wanting to make sure that they know what they're doing there, etc. -, as its character development mostly stalled after it was tamed at the beginning. In addition, when Ash is down to a re-match at a Gym, they're actually in a fairly desperate situation - even moreso if they had to do so any more times - and taking up more time than it's assumed each trainer would get in terms of interactions with the leader, etc., which was at least partially recognised with Gary earlier on, but since then they've been put in such situations with regularity without much tension, and as such re-matches just come across as a done thing or habit in their quest, such that their Gym battles and the others come not to mean nearly as much. In addition, chivalry is apparently dead, and he has hopefully moved on from it since the first series.

pkmin3033

Ash actually wins a Pokemon League.

This would dramatically improve his character, because firstly it would make the entire show, and his journey up to that point, mean something. The Pokemon anime has been one giant game of "your princess is in another castle" up to this point with Ash's repeated losses of any significant tournament: sorry Ash, go to the next region and try again. It makes all of his character development, and all of his Pokemon's character development, utterly meaningless. To have him actually win, to be rewarded for travelling through the region, would make everything so much better. That it'd improve his Pokemon's characters as well would be a great bonus. Remember how amazing it was when Ash's Infernape overcame Paul's Electivire? It was the culmination of an entire arc's worth of rivalry, bitter failures, and emotional scarring. Wouldn't it be nice to have that for Ash and for all of his Pokemon? Just once?

There is nothing to say that this would be the end either, or that Ash couldn't continue to improve following this victory. After he won the Battle Frontier, he was utterly curbstomped by Gary, which prompted the Sinnoh seasons, which were the best the anime has ever had to offer in my opinion. Not having Ash reset to factory default would be another great way to improve his character, for obvious reasons. He didn't lose all knowledge of his previous journey in Johto, or when going from Battle Frontier to Sinnoh. He's not a bloody goldfish. To see him actually develop as a person outside of a single series would be great.

Also, if Brock comes back, let's call in his hormones just a tad. It was funny when it was just Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny, especially when it was lampshaded by Brock himself, but EVERY girl older than he is? Got very tiresome, very quickly.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
Years
I'm going to post the obvious one here:

Ash actually wins a Pokemon League.

This would dramatically improve his character, because firstly it would make the entire show, and his journey up to that point, mean something. The Pokemon anime has been one giant game of "your princess is in another castle" up to this point with Ash's repeated losses of any significant tournament: sorry Ash, go to the next region and try again. It makes all of his character development, and all of his Pokemon's character development, utterly meaningless. To have him actually win, to be rewarded for travelling through the region, would make everything so much better. That it'd improve his Pokemon's characters as well would be a great bonus. Remember how amazing it was when Ash's Infernape overcame Paul's Electivire? It was the culmination of an entire arc's worth of rivalry, bitter failures, and emotional scarring. Wouldn't it be nice to have that for Ash and for all of his Pokemon? Just once?

There is nothing to say that this would be the end either, or that Ash couldn't continue to improve following this victory. After he won the Battle Frontier, he was utterly curbstomped by Gary, which prompted the Sinnoh seasons, which were the best the anime has ever had to offer in my opinion. Not having Ash reset to factory default would be another great way to improve his character, for obvious reasons. He didn't lose all knowledge of his previous journey in Johto, or when going from Battle Frontier to Sinnoh. He's not a bloody goldfish. To see him actually develop as a person outside of a single series would be great.

Also, if Brock comes back, let's call in his hormones just a tad. It was funny when it was just Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny, especially when it was lampshaded by Brock himself, but EVERY girl older than he is? Got very tiresome, very quickly.

Nah, i dont think thats a good idea.. Ash winning a Pokmemon League! Such a think could curb a lot of excitement from the pokémon anime(maybe).

pkmin3033

Nah, i dont think thats a good idea.. Ash winning a Pokmemon League! Such a think could curb a lot of excitement from the pokémon anime(maybe).
Really? I think it'd actually be more exciting if Ash won a Pokemon League. Note that I said "a" league, not "every" league. At the moment, it's pretty much guaranteed that Ash will lose. It's not particularly exciting at all when we know how it'll end. If he wins just one League, and isn't reset to factory default settings in the aftermath, then the next League will be far more exciting: there is nothing to say he will win the next one. But he has a chance to. That's the point. Just one win would do wonders for him, make the arc much more satisfying, and make the next one more interesting to watch.

A lot of characters could be improved just by having them return, actually. A large part of the problem is that most barely develop over time and then they vanish into the ether. Just bringing them back and showing how much they've changed would improve them in my opinion.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Trip losing to Ash multiple time but still can't accept his skill in BW Series.
He will act as the "Straight-man" of the series who often wonder how trainer like Ash and Alder become stronger without following basic.
That would have improve his character , He was far better off a as "Straight-man" rather then a main rival.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
Years
Really? I think it'd actually be more exciting if Ash won a Pokemon League. Note that I said "a" league, not "every" league. At the moment, it's pretty much guaranteed that Ash will lose. It's not particularly exciting at all when we know how it'll end. If he wins just one League, and isn't reset to factory default settings in the aftermath, then the next League will be far more exciting: there is nothing to say he will win the next one. But he has a chance to. That's the point. Just one win would do wonders for him, make the arc much more satisfying, and make the next one more interesting to watch.

A lot of characters could be improved just by having them return, actually. A large part of the problem is that most barely develop over time and then they vanish into the ether. Just bringing them back and showing how much they've changed would improve them in my opinion.

Um yeah, seems you are a bit correct. But still, i personally don't beleive that ash is good enough to beat a league champ. What i would like to see is, him defeating all the elite 4, but losing to the champion.

pkmin3033

Um yeah, seems you are a bit correct. But still, i personally don't beleive that ash is good enough to beat a league champ. What i would like to see is, him defeating all the elite 4, but losing to the champion.
Well, in the anime the Elite Four and the Champion don't factor into the tournament...or if they do, it's off-screen and never mentioned. I was just thinking of him winning the tournament; whether he'd get to face off against the E4 or Champion later didn't really factor into it.

That said, I wouldn't want him to beat a Champion either unless said character faced off against him more than once through the series, so his victory meant something.

I guess that is the crux of my argument: that I want his and his Pokemon's character development through the series to actually mean something. If they're not going to let Ash win, they should let his rival win, and have that rival go through similar development; losing and winning against Ash and Gym Leaders, appearing frequently, and not just right at the last second so we know next to nothing about them. Something like the Zoey/Dawn situation is an example of perfect character development and an acceptable (albeit not ideal perhaps) outcome in my opinion. Any of Ash's rivals and Ash himself could be improved with this kind of dynamic. The closest Ash has had to that is his rivalries with Gary - who went down a completely different path - and Paul - who we'll never see again.

Anyways, I'm derailing the thread into an "Ash should win the league!" thread, haha.

Years
I'm with Serena08, I think Serena could have been better with more Pokemon and evolving Braixen into Delphox. Seems unlikely but it would have improved her if you ask me.

Guest123_x1

One improvement I'd like to see occur would be for Ash to make constant, and lasting, progress through each region that he goes through, instead of being 'nerfed' at certain points in time. Another change would be for him to actually keep all of his Pokémon that he has with him at the time he finishes a League into the next region that he goes to. (This means no more leaving everything except Pikachu at the start of a new series.)

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Serena --

--1) Slightly Regrow her hair because her short hair feel too short and "incomplete"! At least , make it this big-

42792.jpg

--2) Make her less dependent on Ash ! Even May didn't feel as dependent as Serena.

--3) Make her less desperate for Ash! There are other childhood friend with deep crush but they doesn't act desperate like Serena.

--4) Make her crush less obvious.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 16, 2016
No! Absolutely not. The girl is amazing. Simply fantastic. And even though im into my 20's (specifically 23 and im not afraid to admit it) having watched the show for its first 12 seasons regularly(repeats and all) and sparingly the rest and only now revisiting it again with the intention to see it regularly once more(cuz its getting darker after all this time), I feel Serena's demeanor, look and aptitude is perfect to what the show really needs right now. I feel like the show is finally maturing alongside me. She adds something beyond words to the mixture. So no. There is nothing on her that needs changing. Of course both our opinions are subjective. Only i dont feel the same drive you do, which is changing her just to change her. And..uh.. maybe perhaps im a boy-man that is into this anime guilty pleasure thing and i kindof have a crash for her deep down..unconsciously ... Hmmm..i'll see myself out if thats alright.. <3

Last edited:
Years
I hope I'm not the only one that thinks it would be interesting to see Ash have a crush of his own. Not on Serena of course. Seeing Serena all jelly at Ash's crush would be too fun to watch.

As for why I think it would be interesting to see him have a crush. Well, there seems to be this joke I've seen quite often in meme form.

Ignore girls, catch pokemon.

It made me wonder how Ash would react to having feelings for someone.
Not that I think he should ever actually go for a relationship. Not unless they're planning to end his time as the main characters and bring his story to a close.

I'm kind of a fan of stories that stay around for the right about of time, and so far Ash had kinda just been clicking the rewind button on his year and having a new adventure instead of moving on. It's like freaking ground hogs day.

I don't get what's so hard about creating a new character for each gen.
Plenty of franchises have managed that just fine, Pretty cure being a good example, and Pretty cure has been around almost as long as Pokemon.

But some people are like "Nooo, they can;t get rid of Ash. Ash can't grow up either because of blah blah blah."

There are plenty of kid shows with adult main characters, and they do just fine. I don't see a problem is Ash aging. They could have easily made him age a year for every season of the show if they wanted to and it could still be the same awesome anime it is now. The only difference is that Ash would have been able to grow up with us, not just stay frozen in that same childhood form.

But I guess it doesn't really matter, does it? Pokemon likes this, and they have their reasons foe keeping it. I may not agree with those reasons, but it isn't really my place to say... I guess.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
No! Absolutely not. The girl is amazing. Simply fantastic. And even though im into my 20's (specifically 23 and im not afraid to admit it) having watched the show for its first 12 seasons regularly(repeats and all) and sparingly the rest and only now revisiting it again with the intention to see it regularly once more(cuz its getting darker after all this time), I feel Serena's demeanor, look and aptitude is perfect to what the show really needs right now. I feel like the show is finally maturing alongside me. She adds something beyond words to the mixture. So no. There is nothing on her that needs changing. Of course both our opinions are subjective. Only i dont feel the same drive you do, which is changing her just to change her. And..uh.. maybe perhaps im a boy-man that is into this anime guilty pleasure thing and i kindof have a crash for her deep down..unconsciously ... Hmmm..i'll see myself out if thats alright.. <3

Last Episode pretty much proved that Serena is better when she's angry and aggressive.
Even Mirror-Serena and Y-chan (PokeSpe) are better prof of that.
Unfortunately , It was just temporally as Serena gone back to being a Fangirl and Ash started to treat her like a New girl again.

Back