• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Should the Fifth Gen games set the tone for the future pokemon games?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • The Fifth Gen games weren't like their previous pokemon games. The development of the characters, the plot was more fleshed out, and there were interesting options for the after-plot, like the gym leader cameos, etc.

The 6th generation games set their own tone, but this thread's question to you is, do you think that the future pokemon games should follow fifth gen's example of development, while fixing the problems the fifth gen games had? In other words, should the Fifth Gen games set the tone for the future pokemon games?

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2016
    Yeah, I actually think they should. I really appreciated the plot of Black and White, I think how much Pokemon players care about the plot is underestimated. I also think the maps and atmosphere of Unova was one of the best, it had very varied, large and interesting areas. The characters weren't what I would call "deep," but they're surely the best written and developed of the Pokemon series (perhaps with the exception of Silver, he developed nicely in HGSS.)

Gen 6 brought new and desirable features to Pokemon, but the maps were lackluster, easy and small and the plot was a little convoluted and poorly written (the idea was okay, but half the time I was like "???" and the pacing was very odd.) There was a large roster of characters, none of which got a lot of unique dialogue. I swear I don't know the personalities of any of the characters in XY aside from Tierno liking to dance and such.

EternalSushi

Fresh for a lifetime.
    Years
    • Age 27
    • HK
    • Seen Sep 9, 2017
    Agreed with everything above. Gen IV in my opinion has the best soundtrack overall, and while Gen V's is also spectacular, what makes it better than some others gens is its story.

B/W was great, but again, as said above, BW2 seemed like the perfect sequel to the game. It's corrected some of the flaws from the previous version while also nearly perfecting the region (god bless Aspertia and its music).

It's a shame too, as I understand why the Pokemon Company would tone things down in Gen VI again - ORAS to draw in old audiences into the franchise, while X and Y kept things simple for a new, younger demographic that just got their 3DSes. I get it and all, but...you're right, Gen V really did shine in the story department, and I'd love to see something similar in the future.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • XY was kind of meant to appeal to the Gen I crowd, so they simplified the story to a more Gen IV level than keep it at V's. At least that's why I think they went that route.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I think they really could go down the route on developing their storylines in their future games. One thing I did always praise about 5th gen was how they've handled their characters, but yeah, the other things could use some work, like linearity, etc, etc... But I think they can improve on that for their future games indeed!

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • It certainly wouldn't be a bad thing, imo. There's a lot of things that fifth gen did right that I thought were a positive step in the right direction for the Pokemon main series (not without its flaws, of course, but future games could fix those). The depth of the plot and the maturity of the issues it dealt with was definitely something I enjoyed, and made it feel like the series as a whole is evolving.

There's also the fact that eventually, the supply of "generic" plots that we're used to seeing in Pokemon games will eventually run dry (e.g. Earth vs. sea, space vs. time, destruction vs. creation, etc.), so GameFreak will inevitably have no choice but to start making the themes a bit more complex.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Let me take a shot of this so...

One thing that some people might say is that okay, Gen 5's tone was way too srs for a pokeyman games, but that's what got the people liking it. The themes, tones, and stories written and played in the Gen 5 games was something that pretty much stuck to older players and fans. Its something that if this was back in the 2010-2011 (forgot what year BW and BW2 were released) this was really groundbreaking in terms of well crafted story telling, and in such as kid friendly game as well. And to be blunt but really nice as well, it was the story of the games that got me playing both BW and BW2, if not for the obvious gameplay content flaws.

Granted, forgetting the really noticeable gameplay content flaws that Gen 5 has, there's a thing we call "Learning from community feedback and support" so definitely should the future gen push through with our DARK AND EDGY, with SRS BUSINESS Pokemon game (Pokemon Lawful Diamond and Chaotic Obsidian rito plz?), i'd really support it. And in order for this to work again, Gamefreak's story writers need to read a lot of current events and whatnot, as well as national issues and other relatable happenings around us, and really with what's going on in the world right now, there's so much room to work with. I don't expect a pokemon game to cover issues such as terrorism, racism, poverty, and other national issues but hey, we can all dream right?

Years
  • I think Sopheria's comment really stood out to me here. The darker and more mature plot that Black & White took was quite a risk taken by Game Freak (on top of all the other stuff that broke the mould in this generation) but was definitely rewarding given it's got one of the best reception to a plot in Pokemon. There was also very memorable characters, such as N and the rivals who can feel very relatable since they go through things that one would kind of do so in reality as well.

Also, as Sopheria said not every game is perfect and they each have flaws but 5th Gen made a lot of advanced steps forward, and the fact we could be seeing more games in future generations have more complex plot concepts is definitely something the older players could take interest in.

Also, as Shawn said 5th Gen handled character development well, something which X/Y somehow lacked but there's always room to improve in the future.

Back