• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen R/B/Y or G/S/C?

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
  • I feel that GenII (original) was superior in every way. I still remember how amazing all the music was, especially the remixed Kanto themes. Oh gee, the hours I spent in National Park, just listening to its theme...those were the good ole' days, haha.

I would even go so far as to say that some of the most creative and coolest pokemon designs were done in GenII, to me.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Definitely prefer G/S/C. Had a lot more to do and the graphics were upgraded. Just a lot more to love.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    Red, Blue and Yellow. Gold, Silver and Crystal are my least favourite Pokémon games for how slow-paced and underwhelming they are. RBY is a wonderful start to the Pokémon series, even if it doesn't have much to offer. Not only that, but I kind of like the hilariously ugly Pokémon sprites, as well as the fatal glitches.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • It's all about G/S/C for me. It has my favorite everything. It was my first Pokemon game, although I am old enough to have been a Kanto lurker. I watched the Kanto anime, but never got into the games until a friend of mine convinced me to buy Gold. I bought it, fell in love with it, and I ended up buying three different copies of the same three games! I even bought an N64 solely for Pokemon Stadium 2. Johto is the only region where I really know where everything is, haha. It was also the only generation where I was pleasantly surprised by a whole new region, new characters and gyms, a truly horrible rival who isn't a good guy no matter how you twist it, amazing Pokemon, Team Rocket and Red. Not to mention the music.

In my opinion, G/S/C make the rest of the games look like crap.

Years
  • G/S/C. I wasn't really into video games when Gen 1 came out, as I was like 2, so I didn't really have a "concept" of games. However when Pokemon Crystal came out, I was 5, so I had a better understanding of games. So Crystal has a more nostalgic meaning to me than the Gen 1 games. So I have a deep love for the Gen 2 games

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    The first Pokémon I had ever gotten was Blue version, I believe; it was gifted to me by parents as a gift for Christmas, and have loved playing as soon as I unpacked. Was very addicted to it, to be honest, and would spend hours going through it almost each and every day. To successfully complete its story, it had taken me merely three or four days, which isn't much; afterward, I found myself spending much of my time capturing Pokémon and making myself familiar with all the game's locations, trying to uncover secrets.

However, I would have to say I liked Gold, Silver, and Crystal far better than Red and Blue; their plot seemed to be much more engaging to me, and made me feel as if I were a part of the game itself. Plus, they had also introduced many new Pokémon that I was pretty fond of, such as Lugia, Meganium, Hoothoot, Ho-oh, Stantler, and much, much more.

As for Yellow, I liked it more than RB (but not GSC), mainly due to some of its features, especially walking-Pikachu (found it to be extremely adorable, haha).

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    I'd go with G/S/C. Particularity Crystal. It was the most nostalgic region in Pokemon. It was basically G/S but bigger. I really loved the game alot. By far one of my favorites.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    G/S/C were my first games, but I'm going to have to go with R/B/Y. There's something about gsc that is lacking and I have never been able to put my finger on it exactly. I kind of felt it when I played it long ago and then I noticed it again with HG/SS came out. I think the region is almost too accessible. There's a point in the game where you pass Goldenrod and then you're able to travel to multiple towns in whichever direction you choose. This opens nearly the whole map of Johto to you fairly quickly and there's this lack of discovery left at the end. So I usually find myself bored quickly with these games.

I really love a lot of the towns/cities in rby along with the music. There's also a few landmark areas I really enjoy. I prefer the characters also.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I prefer G/S/C. Specifically Crystal. I simply cant get myself to love RBY....the sprites bothered the heck out of me. The music was too high pitched at times. And personally the story didnt capture me at all.

I had far more fun in G/S/C and the world was so vast. And it wasnt so heavily linear. Made me want to travel to these areas. Plus with the night-day feature, it would've been a hassle of it was too much of an obstacle.

I will say the rival Blue felt more like a rival as he was always around and trolling me. Silver didnt annoy me as much but I questioned his relevance. Though I guess it was confirmed he was Giovanni's son. Which I felt could've played a bigger role.

Years
  • Red, Blue and Yellow for me. While GSC did have Kanto, the Pokémon in those games just didn't click to me. And there is the fact that RBY is more glitch-ridden, but i've still had more enjoyment playing them than I did with GSC.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I wish I understood more on those who are on the RBY side. Not that I find that opinion wrong, but I would like to relate to it to a degree.....

Here's my theory: Nostalgia...I know some people claim that they played GSC first before RBY at certain times. But I think the nostalgia is more on the design. Games when they were so minimal, the usage of imagination was there. That and the black two_tone color made things appear a little unique.

With the usage of imagination to build the game, made certain pokemon better.

Generally I prefer GSC regardless if kanto isnt really used to the fullest. The pokemon designs were very beautiful. I appreciated all the pokemons design to a degree which is more than what I can say for RBY's nidorino and ratatta, and even pikachu. Although Yellow did fix that.

But I really just want to know what RBY beats over GSC that is easy to understand....idk its kind of like preferring the original simply by having the status of the original. Beautiful thing about Gen II is it has Gen I pokemon too...it just enhanced everything.

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Gen 2 outclasses Gen 1 in every way, except for the glitches. Can't beat Gen 1 on that one.

GSC polished the old mechanics (click bush to use Cut instead of having to go into the menu every time, better sprites) and patched most of the old flaws (type effectiveness, Psychic not OP anymore).
    Sure Gen 2 had it's own flaws, mainly time management on the devs side. You'll notice it as soon as you beat the E4, that they didn't really had the time to make Kanto as good as an experience as it could have been (removal of Safari Zone, terrible balancing leading to stupidly long grinding sessions, which is also still a thing in the remakes).

So yeah, I like gen 2 a little bit more, especially because I played Gold way longer than Blue. Also SHiny Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I might also claim that it is a space issue. Two full towns may not have fit...then again...two dragon quest games were compiled into a gameboy color...but that could be using same assets. Im not sure but I always believed it to be a space/size issue. As for glitches...only ran into two. I have yet to experience missingno. Or Glitchcity.

Jdlasja

Poketuber
    Years
  • Well Red Blue and Yellow were the first games I ever played so I'm emotionally bound to them, but personally, Crystal would be my Favourite Pokemon Game ever, so for that reason and only that one imma roll with Gold Silver and Crystal.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2015
    Pokemon Blue. Just because it was the 1st Pokemon game I got.

Just love the Simplicity of the 1st Gen

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2023
    Gold because there is more and better story. It was my firs game too...

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2014
    Honesty Silver, the feeling when you beat Johto, than realised that you need to go Kanto (even thou it was really quick.)

Nyro

The Bug Master
    Years
  • Yellow, I loved starting with Pikachu and being able to get all the starters like Ash did.

Years
  • Easy, Yellow! For 2 reasons: #1: I love Pikachu! #2: All my favorite pokes (charmander and his evos, bulbasaur and all his evos, squirtle and his evos, and PIKACHU!) are accessible in this game, no trading required! Not to mention it's in my favorite region, fav gym leaders, and it has THE Team Rocket on it (the one from the anime I watched when I was little.) Overall, this game was the perfect match for me. Also, to brag, I used my pokemon stadium, and of course, Transfer Pak, to get my Pikachu Surf!

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Yellow, because all of the starters. And then Pikachu following you, though I didn't really use it all that much.

Back