• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] The Great Reunion A Comashipping Fanfic

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2013
    I wrote this for a friend for national Comashipping day. supposedly October 25. For those of you who might not be familiar Comashipping is a percieved relationship between Ash and Paul.

Warning: From my understanding of the Forum rules, this story doesn't contain anything that violates them. However, it does contain some semi-intimate moments between the boys i.e. kissing etc. Anyone who might be offended might want to avoid reading it.

Morning broke slowly through the glass door leading out to the balcony on the east side of the hotel room. It was still early, but the light made its way over across the floor and on top of our sleeping hero. Ash rolled slightly to the right without trying to turn his back to the incoming glow and to grab a few more minutes of sleep. It was instinctive and he wasn't fully awake yet. He closed his eyes groggily again and tried to collect some more sleep. It was a fruitless effort as the light crept further and further in and over him during the next few minutes.

Fighting a losing battle, the young Pokémon trainer decided to make the best of things and opened his eyes once again. Several things had changed from when he had fallen asleep several hours ago. The covers of the bed had been wrapped warmly around him quite tightly to fight off the cold. Paul was absent from the bed beside him where the other had laid the night before. He looked around a little more acutely noticing the absence of the other trainer he had shared a bed with the night before. Things hadn't gotten particularly far, but it had been an interesting evening to say the least. He looked downwards towards the foot of the bed. Pikachu was curled up at his feet in a tight little ball still far enough south that the encroaching light hadn't reached his small yellow friend.

" Huuu Pika. Huuu Pika. Huuu Pika" Ash listened to the small electric rodent as it drew in and exhaled almost snoring soundly.

Ash was dressed in the light blue shorts and the white T-shirt that served as his pajamas when he was away from home. His mother still had him wear the little green and yellow ones when he came back. The tired trainer moved his eyes around the room trying to find what had happened to Paul. His ears began to regain some function and he heard water running in the distance. He gathered that his roommate was probably absent and in the shower. Ash was reluctant to leave the warmth of the bed, but he decided that he needed to rise and draw the blinds if he wanted any chance of getting some more sleep. Slowly he drew his arms out to wipe the sleepiness from his eyes and have a good morning yawn.

It was a rather unpleasant surprise when his arms didn't respond to this body's request.

"What the Heck!" He spoke quietly to himself as he tried to understand what was going on.

Ash gave his arms another tug and met with some rather stern resistance when he attempted to move them. Slowly he pushed himself upwards into a sitting position using his legs so he could see what was going on. There was more than adequate light shining through the doors to the balcony to reveal the situation for what it was. Ash looked down over his shoulder towards where his hands were. His wrists were criss crossed behind his back and bound together quite securely with a piece of rope about 2 or 3 meters in length. He stared down in disbelief, when had this happened.

Ash worked his way out of bed and stood up his legs were not restrained like his hands were. He rolled himself to the edge of the bed and stood up hastily finding his footing. The boy crossed the room quickly and went to inspect the main door. The door was closed and the chain was set in place. Ash panicked suddenly remembering the patio. He turned and darted over to inspect it worrying that perhaps team rocket was planning to steal Pikachu and his other Pokémon. However, when he reached the patio door it was closed and the latch was turned securely in place. Perplexed he turned around and looked back towards the bed.

Pikachu was still there, it's head lifted by his current antics, but otherwise still curled up in a nice warm ball. Suddenly Ash heard a click from the door leading into the bathroom. His worries shifted away from himself and towards Paul. What if whoever tied him up had captured Paul as well. He turned himself around a prepared to face whatever was coming through that door.

"Pikachu Thunder Sh . . . ." Ash stopped issuing the command and Paul emerged from the bathroom. The other trainer was shiftless with a toothbrush in one hand working it back and forth in his mouth. Paul had on some light green pajama pants with a leaf print on them and some slippers that looked like bulbasaurs. A towel was wrapped about his shoulders and the water was still dripping on of him slightly.

"Paul look out there is somebody in this room. They tied me up while I was sleeping. They are probably still . . . "

"Pathetic as usual." Paul commented sarcastically at his friend across the room. Ash calmed down a little and looked across at his friend. The wheels in Ash's began to slowly churn as he tried to put two and two together to get a better perspective on the situation.

"Wait a minute if nobody else is here? Does that mean you tied me up?" Ash asked looking rather confused at Paul. Paul nodded as he took a drink from a cup in his hand and spit the contents of his mouth out into a sink set in the counter of the room. "But why?" Ash asked looking across the room.

"Because you're too impulsive. Remember when you left the Sinnoh region? You did it without a call, a letter, or even a hey Paul why don't you come see me off at the airport. We never got to have our next battle now did we. You left me there high and dry without even a word. I just thought if I tied your hands it would at least keep you in the hotel room until after I finished my shower. Sheesh. " Paul explained. There was more to it than that, but it served to fill in the gap in Ash's understanding.

Ash's face went through several emotional changes quickly. Anger, frustration, regret and then curiosity all crossed his glance over the course of a minute or two. Paul tossed finished drying his hair with the towel and set it and his toothbrush down on the counter next to the sink.

"You had no right. I was sleeping and you tied me up without even asking!" Ash shouted finally.

Paul just shrugged his shoulders and made his way back over to the bed. He climbed back on top of it and began to slide gently across towards the center of it. Ash fiddled with his ropes struggling for another minute before he gave up on freeing himself without help. The young trainer took a few steps toward the bed and turned around. He seated himself on the edge of the bed and raised his hands upwards toward where Paul was sitting.

"Well, I am still here. So, you can untie me now." Ash stated without making eye contact with the other boy.

Ash felt the bed shift and Paul worked his way across it slowly to where Ash was sitting. Paul was now in a kneeling position behind Ash. He reached up and put his hands on Ash's shoulders gently.

"Oh come on, you're not all that mad at me about this." Paul replied giving Ash a light kiss on the cheek. Ash's face turned red blushing from being caught a little off guard by the situation.

Paul's hands began to work back and forth over Ash's shoulders. Paul began to massage Ash trying to release some of the tension that the situation had built up. It was a slow process that took a few minutes, but Ash just sat silently and let it happen. The process worked at some of the red fell from Ash's cheeks. It had a calming effect and Ash seemed to like where it was leading. Pikachu seemed to disregard the whole situation. A little aggravated that it's nap had been ruined. The yellow rodent made its way to the opposite corner of the bed and curled back up to resume sleeping.

After the massage finished, Paul drew Ash backwards slowly and not too forcefully. The second trainer followed and used his legs to help the movement as best he could. A few moments later, the pair was sitting side by side in the center of the bed again looking forwards. Ash's arms were still wrapped securely behind him. Ash's face turned toward the other member he was sharing the bed with. He was glad that he had taken Paul up on his invitation. He missed the boy greatly from the time they shared in the last region and had grown very fond of him despite their differences in personality and their rivalry. Paul was still Paul, there was no changing that. But, if you wanted to have a relationship with somebody then you shouldn't expect them to change who they are. You should take them as they come.

"Is this your first time?" Paul asked.

Ash shot him a strange glance not sure how to respond to the question.

"Your first time tied up like this I mean." Paul clarified.

Ash had been captured and bound several times during his adventures. However, this was the first time he had been tied up by somebody who he cared about. Paul reached over towards his bag on the night stand and drew something out of one of the outside pockets. It was a second piece of rope a few meters long, he uncoiled it and let it hang out. He watched Ash measuring the other boy's reaction. Ash's face took the look of confusion.

Paul reached down and drew Ash's legs upwards from the cross legged position the boy was sitting in and straightened them out. Ash realized what Paul had in mind, but didn't put up much resistance. Paul got Ash's legs to run parallel and began to wrap the piece of rope around his ankles slowly. He was careful to make it snug, but not uncomfortably tight. After 7 or 8 passes, he took the remainder of the length and wrapped the center of the tie cinching it off before tying a knot.

"There, I don't want you running around the room with your hands tied behind your back. It's dangerous you could fall and get hurt." Paul offered with a measured amount of concern in his voice.

Ash struggled and tested the ropes on his hands and feet. He was bound quite securely and escaped seemed a distant and remote possibility. Paul scooted closer to his boyfriend and wrapped one arm around Ash's shoulder drawing the other trainer closer to him. Ash followed the motion and let his head come to rest against Paul's chest. Paul just held him there in the silence for a long time. The pair sharing their body warmth.

Ash felt the rise and fall of Paul's chest with each breath the other took. It was a steady, deep and relaxing rhythm. The sun seemed to creep through the blinds further and further encroaching on their little party. Paul held Ash in place with one arm and gently stroked the boys hair with the other occasionally. It was a welcome feeling. They sat there like that for what seemed an eternity. Neither of them wished it would ever end. Paul had made this journey to find Ash and now that he had, he didn't want to let him go.

Unfortunately, all good things do come to an end. There was a loud knock at the door across the room. It interrupted everything. Paul quickly lifted Ash away from his chest. Without being able to move, Ash fell away quickly and landed on his side with a soft thud in a laying position on the bed. Paul rose and grabbed a long bath robe that had been sitting on a chair next to the bed and draped it around himself as he headed towards the door. Paul opened the door and found a man well dressed in a suit standing before him with a cart.

"The breakfast you ordered sir. Shall I wheel it in for you?" The waiter asked. Paul shot a quick glance back towards Ash and shook his head.

"No, I will just take it here. Put it on my tab and add a tip for yourself. Thanks a lot." Paul scooped up the tray and slammed the door in the attendants face before the poor man even had a chance to respond.

Paul crossed the room and seated himself back on the edge of the bed. He laid the tray on the seat of the chair next to the bed as well and removed the cover. On the tray was a rather generous portion of pancakes, eggs, bacon, toast, orange juice, milk and a few other trimmings for a large breakfast. Paul took some salt and pepper and sprinkled them over everything slowly. He followed by pouring some syrup over the pancakes and then took up his knife and fork and began eating.

By this point, Ash had managed to right himself and was up in a sitting position again despite the difficulty in achieving it. He sat there stunned as he watched Paul start eating the huge meal.

"Hey that looks good." Ash commented. He hadn't eaten anything since noon the day before and he just suddenly realized that he was hungry in the presence of the food. He twisted his hands realizing that even if Paul intended to share he couldn't eat with the ropes on his wrists.

"Hey do you think you could untie me so I could get something to eat too? I haven't eaten since lunch yesterday and . . . " Ash's speech got cut short by Paul thrusting a fork full of pancake into the other mouth. Ash took it gratefully and started chewing the mouthful of food. Paul took another bite himself and them offered the next fork full to Ash. After a few mouthfuls he brought up the glass of orange juice and offered Ash a sip. Ash wanted to thank Paul, but the other kept his mouth full with food. It seemed that every time he swallowed something there was another fork full of stuff waiting for him. Between the pair they polished off the breakfast in about 20 minutes.

"Thanks for sharing that was really wonderful." Ash finally managed to get out because the food had run out except for half a piece of toast that Paul didn't intent on sharing.

"Don't be such a baby." Paul offered giving Ash a light pat on the head. He slipped his robe back off onto the chair and joined Ash on the bed as the pair scooted back towards the center. Paul switched the television no quietly and began watching something. Ash scooted over and laid himself down on his left side. He let his head fall effortlessly into Paul's lap and just laid there enjoying the moment. Paul seemed to have his attention focused on the television but Ash ignored it. He let his thought wander about how this occasion had come to pass.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

He had been standing outside the airport when Paul and come up behind him and wrapped one hand around his head covering his eyes.

"Guess who." A voice had commanded from behind him and Ash new instantly who it was. He had lifted Paul's hand away without responding and turned around to confirm his friend standing right behind him.

The pair shared in a long conversation that switched between some anger, excitement and joy at seeing each other in this distant land. Ash was a little ashamed that he had left without so much as a goodbye. Paul had made hotel reservation and invited him to come and share a room for the night. After an hour of some site seeing they pair had been sitting together in front of the television watching a movie in their pajamas in the same bed. Ash had fallen asleep next to his friend and waken up a few hours later to a rather interesting surprise.

. . . . . . .

Paul gently shifted Ash off of his lap and rose out of the bed. He pulled his slippers off and went over to the dresser where he had laid out his clothes the night before. Ash managed to sit back up again despite being tied up. Paul collected his clothes and stepped into the bathroom out of Ash's view and stated to get changed. Ash waited curiously as the other boy stepped back around the corner a few minutes later fully dressed. He was still sitting there trussed up in the shorts and t-shirt that served as his pajamas.

"Hey what's going on?" Ash asked Paul and the other lifted his bag off the dresser and shouldered it.

"I have a few things to take care of. I should be back in a couple of hours." Paul explained.

"What about me?" Ash asked sheepishly. "You aren't going to leave me here like this are you?" He continued looking downwards at the ropes that bound him.

"Pathetic." Paul replied again. "Of course not." He crossed the room and lifted up the bathrobe that he had laid across the back of the chair. He drew it around Ash's shoulders and wrapped the other boy in it. Paul pulled it around Ash and tied the robe shut it front. It was long, soft and made of terry cloth. It came all the way down below Ash's knees and wrapped around him warmly. Then he looked down and shot a sly smile. He picked up the bulbasaur slippers off the floor and slipped them on over Ash's feet.

"My mom got these for me last year. They are probably going to be a little big on you but they are warm and comfy." He explained. Ash looked at him a bit perplexed.

"Yeah, they are but what about the ropes? Are you going to keep me . . . " Ash's second question got interrupted by a long kiss from Paul. After a minute Paul broke away holding Ash's chin in his hand. The other boy face was bright red with embarrassment.

"Yeah I am. I have no doubt that you could get free on your own with the help of your little friend their if you want to. But I am hoping that those ropes will keep you here until I get back." He explained he stated patting Ash gently on the head.

Without another word, Paul gently guided Ash back into a laying position on the bed. He rolled the boy over onto his stomach slowly and pulled the bed covers over top of him.

"Sorry about tying you up, but I wanted to make sure you didn't run off on me again so soon. I hope that you are comfortable like that, I shouldn't be more than a few hours." Paul explained.

He crossed the room and drew the blinds on the patio door shut and turned them so they blocked out the encroaching sunlight. Without another word, the boy exited the hotel room and left Ash laying where he was trussed up on the bed.

Ash laid there for a second debating his options. He watched now as Pikachu had roused from its slumber and was making his way down the bed to where Ash's head laid on the pillow. The small Pokémon came over and nuzzled it head against Ash's. A warm smile fell on the trainer's face.

"Sorry buddy, I cannot play with you right now. I am still all tied up." He explained.

Ash's worked through his options in his head one more time. He already knew he had enough movement that he could pull himself free of the covers. He could have Pikachu head over to his belt on the table and release Trico from its pokeball. The Pokémon could cut him free in a few seconds. He ran this scenario through his head a couple of times. However, he didn't take that course of action.

As Ash laid there spacing out, he felt a weight on his back. He suddenly realized that Pikachu wasn't next to his face any more. The small yellow Pokémon had crawled up on his back and was curling on up him in an attempt to steal a little body warmth.

"Hey!" Ash shouted as he squirmed back and forth a little. But it was no use the ropes made it impossible to do anything about Pikachu.

"Huuu Pika. Huuu Pika. Huuu Pika" started coming from above him.

It was no use, he thought to himself. Pikachu had the right idea. The bed was warm and inviting despite being tied. Besides, that annoying light was blocked out by the blinds now. He had finally won that battle. Ash let out a quiet yawn and shifted a bit getting as comfortable as he could. Paul would be back soon enough and he wanted to be here when he did. Ash let his eyes gently close and visions of all the exciting things that awaited him in the Kalos region. He drifted off to sleep.

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2013
    I am adding a second chapter to this.

Chapter 2:

Paul inserted the card into the key reader to the right of the door at the huge hotel. His errands were complete, his inquires made and his supplies were restocked for the journey he had ahead of him. Once inside he quietly closed the door behind him and kicked off his shoes. The room was quite dark with only a slight amount of illumination coming through the blinds where he had drawn them. He let out a quick sigh. The trainer dropped his bag by the door and stepped into the room. Most likely Ash had escaped and was long gone. He couldn't blame Ash. The boy was impulsive and somewhat undisciplined. Paul rounded the corner from the door and found a rather pleasant surprise.

Ash was lying face down on the bed right where he had left him with his face turned to the side. Maybe he had given Ash more credit than he was do. He crept slowly and silently across the floor walking on the sides of his feet to avoid making any noise. The chair was still sitting next to the edge of the bed. Paul turned it around slowly and straddled it, seating himself as quietly as he could.

Pikachu's head popped up slightly at the arrival of the other trainer in the room. The yellow rodent acknowledged the other's arrival. Paul put a finger up to his lips.

"SHHHHHH." He mouthed silently.

Pikachu stared at him a moment longer then lowered its head back down and closed its eyes again. Paul sat there in the silence staring forwards. Ash was sound asleep drawing in slow and steady breaths. He just watched as his friend rested peacefully.

'He's adorable when he's asleep.' Paul let the thought flow into his head absent mindedly. He had planned on stopping in to get his belongings packed up so that he could leave early the next morning. However, the fact that Ash was still here changed his plans. Their feelings and friendship had never been hidden and now they had been tested and stood true.

Paul let Ash rest a while longer while he just watched. After a while he reached down and gently stroked the top of Ash's forehead with the back of his hand. Ash's eyes slowly opened and began to adjust to the darkness. He looked upwards and saw the outline of the figure hovering over him. The realization of what was happening suddenly kicked in.

"Paul? Is that you?" Ash asked in a rather sheepish voice.

"No, it's Team Rocket and we're here to steal Pikachu." The voice replied in a harsh tone.

Ash shot up instinctively at once to defend his Pokémon. However, he quickly realized that his hands and feet were still bound securely. He shot up quickly and dislodged Pikachu from its perch.

"Pikachu, thunder shock!" Ash shouted.

Pikachu reacted from the sudden commotion instinctively and released electricity all around it. Both of the trainers got caught in the blast and collapsed hard against the bed. The chair toppled down to the floor. Paul collected himself and began dragging himself upwards by the edge of the bed. Ash wriggled a little and attempted to sit up.

"You pathetic idiot!" Paul shouted grabbing Ash by the front of the bathrobe he was still wearing.

"Pikachu don't! It's Paul" Ash shouted almost immediately hearing Paul's voice. The Pokémon stopped charging its second blast upon hearing Ash's voice.

"Why in the heck did you have to do that?" Paul yelled holding Ash tightly.

"Well, you said you were team rocket and I didn't know what else to do." Ash explained dropping his tone of voice and lowering his head.

Paul looked down at him. Ash's arms were still inside of the robe. "Are you still tied up?" Paul asked looking at him.

Ash nodded. "I'm sorry . . . " Ash began however, his speech was cut short by a kiss from Paul. The two locked lips for a good couple of minutes. Paul's arms released their hold on the front of Ash's robe and found their way inside parting it in the front and drawing the top half of it downwards somewhat. After what seemed like a welcome eternity, Paul finally released his hold on Ash and withdrew his arms letting the other sit up under his own power.

"I'm sorry too. I didn't realize you hadn't freed yourself yet. If I knew you were still tied up I wouldn't have said that." Paul explained.

Ash's robe rose again around his shoulders. His arms found their way up the sides and into the sleeves. He pulled the robe back up around himself and brought his hands out the end of the sleeves. The young trainer began to massage his wrists. They were sore and bore some marks from the ropes tying him up for so long. Paul switched on the lamp next to the bed and knelt down. He began working the knot loose on Ash's ankles while the other one restored the circulation to his arms.

"Thanks it feels really good to be out of those ropes." Ash explained. Paul nodded.

"Sorry I kept you like that for so long." Paul apologized.

"It's all right. It was kind of fun, at least I got to spend some quality time with you." Ash replied. "By the way what time is it?"

"It's a little after 10." Paul answered. "I sorry I left you here, but I needed to get supplies for my journey tomorrow."

"You're not staying here?" Ash asked.

"No, I plan to leave early tomorrow for Dendemille. My business in the region takes me there. I got off the airplane and I saw you. It has been such a long time, I thought I had to come up and see you. I already had the hotel reservations and I was really glad that you joined me." Paul outlined. "But I think our paths will take us on different directions. I wanted a chance to say goodbye properly before we parted ways."

"What about today? You said you we're leaving until tomorrow. Would you like to go sight-seeing with me today?" Ash asked looking over at the other boy.

Paul let his expression go blank as he rolled his eyes. Originally, he had planned to spend the remainder of the day going over his maps and making sure that everything was ready for the next day. Still, Ash hadn't figured into his original plans either. It was just coincidence or maybe fate that their paths had crossed the way that they did. He took a moment clearing his throat before responding.

"You really want to go sight-seeing with me?" Paul asked almost sarcastically. Ash just nodded.

"What about your quest for badges in the Kalos region. Yesterday you told me you couldn't wait to get started?" Paul reminded him.

"It can wait another day. I haven't seen you in so long. It would be wonderful to spend some time together." Ash replied.

Paul was about to open his mouth with another protest when Ash rose and kissed him gently on the cheek. "Just give me a few minutes to get cleaned up and we'll get going." Ash whispered into his ear.

Paul went silent and leaned back on the bed. Ash crossed the motel room and entered the bathroom.

. . . . . . . . .

Half an hour later, Ash had taken a shower and gotten changed out of his pajamas. He was pulling his bag over his shoulder and stepped out into the open. Paul had righted the chair up from the floor. He left the ropes he had bound Ash with strewn on the bed. He could fix things up when he got back. Spending time with Ash was something he had a limited quantity of and he didn't want to waste any of it.

"Are you ready to go?" Ash asked standing by the hotel door. The trainer had collected everything that he owned. Paul realized that Ash probably wouldn't be returning to the room.

"Sure I guess. Do you have everything?" Paul asked, to which Ash gave a warm smile and a quick nod.

The pair made their way out of the hotel room which, Paul closed and locked behind him. Next, they went down the hallway and took the elevator to the ground floor. Finally, they went out the front door.

Outside, Paul stood behind Ash staring at his back. Pikachu was on the trainer's shoulder. Ash extended his hand backwards suddenly and Paul took it without a word. Then Ash began pulling him down the block at a quick pace. Lumiose city was huge, much larger than most of the places that Ash or Paul had seen on their journeys. There was a lot to take in and the pair didn't have a lot of time. They walked along the sidewalk hands clasped tightly together between them. Paul and Ash shot smiles back and forth as they walked. Their relationship wasn't displayed as overtly as it had been an hour ago. However, the pair shared the warmth from their hands and enjoyed each other's company greatly.

The city was busy with people at this late hour of the morning. People were passing them on all sides. Some were on foot like the couple. Others used skates, bikes, or even rode on some of their Pokémon. Ash looked around in awe taking everything in. Quite a few trainers let their Pokémon walk free in the city and he was seeing quite a few types that were new to him. A sharp jerk on the arm from Paul brought his attention back to his friend. Ash looked over at him and Paul replied with closed eyes and a warm bright smile. Ash nodded and reminded himself not to get so caught up in what he was seeing that he ignored Paul. After all, that was the whole point of this day.

The pair walked on for about half an hour making one stop to window shop at a store. However, after another short distance Paul brought them to a stop.

"Ash if you want to see the whole city, then we need to pick up the pace a little." He suggested.

"Yeah I guess so." Ash replied looking down at his belt. It contained only one pokeball. "But I don't have any Pokémon with me big enough to carry us. Do you?" He asked looking at Paul.

Paul brought his hand up to his face and ran the open palm of it up his forehead. "No, I don't. But that's not what I had in mind."

Paul turned and pointed at one of the shops with his free hand. "That should solve our problem. Come on." He commanded Ash.

For the first time of the day the laid back Paul pulled the other trainer along by their shared hand clasp. Ash followed a little nervously. He read the shops name on the sign in the window as Paul drew them inside.

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2013
    Chapter 3:

"Paul I don't know about this." Ash commented as they passed through the door. The pair broke contact from their hands for the first time since leaving the hotel.

"Relax this is one of the quickest ways to get around the city. Wait here I will handle this." Paul replied as he began to approach the counter.

Ash and Pikachu stood by as the other boy crossed the room and began to address the woman behind the counter. She was in her early 20s and wore her blond hair long and drawn back in a ponytail. She might have looked attractive if Paul had been slightly older and not interested in Ash.

"Hi, welcome to the roller emporium. How can I help you today?" The woman behind the counter greeted in a relaxed and pleasant tone of voice. Paul placed both hands on the counter and leaned closer to her.

"I would like two pairs of skates for my friend over there and myself. We want to see the city and we're in a hurry." He explained pointing to a set of skates set on a shelf behind the counter.

"Those are an excellent choice sir. They are adjustable and fit right over your shoes. That way you don't have to buy a new pair every time your feet grow. They're very economical, if not a bit old fashioned." The sales clerk explained taking a set down and handing them over to Paul for him to inspect.

Paul took a minute and looked the skates over before offering an affirmative nod of his head. The woman collected a second set of the roller skates and laid them on the counter. Then she took a few steps to her immediate left in order to run the cash register and ring up the customer's order.

"Now let's see. Two pairs of skates,that comes too. . . " The woman finished and quoted a price.

Ash heard it from across the room and looked up at the pair. His attention had been directed elsewhere for the time being looking around the shop. The amount seemed high and outside of what his budget would likely allow him. However, Paul dug into his pockets and produced his wallet. He had more than adequate funds for the purchase and paid the woman for the two pairs of skates. He scooped them up and placed them under one arm. Then he headed for the front door of the shop. He motioned to Ash to follow him, which the young trainer did.

Outside the shop, Paul motioned to a bench sitting on the sidewalk. He led the way with Ash shortly in down. The pair sat down on the bench and Paul began to unbox the two new sets of roller skates. He handed one of the sets to Ash who took it with a look of unease.

"Here put these on. They adjust to fit right over your shoes. Strap them on your feet and we'll be on our way." Paul explained as he began showing Ash how the roller skates worked.

There were constructed of metal and functioned very similar to how older versions of roller skates worked. The skate had a slide that would allow the center of it to expand or contract in length to accommodate different shoe sizes for the person wearing them. There was a front cap that slipped over the toe of the wearer's foot. The rear of the skates then slid back against their heel and strapped over top of the foot in the rear to secure them. They were very similar to older style skates with the exception that the wheels were set up as inline rather than the older quad style.

Paul finished strapping the skates on over his shoes and stood up testing his balance. They fit well and functioned ideally. He took a few short steps forward and then braked his forward progress using a T-stop technique. Ash watched his friend. Paul was obviously experienced with this sort of thing.

Ash finished tightening the strap on his second skate and took a deep breath. He rose slowly from the bench keeping one hand on the rear of it to help with balance. The trainer managed to reach his feet. He turned sideways to face Paul and tried to find his footing. It seemed easy enough. Ash's balance came naturally and he bravely let go of the bench with his other hand. Courageously, Ash took his first step forwards on the skates. Then he took another, and finally a third. The boy let out a bright smile proud of himself. This activity wasn't that hard after all. He had been worried for nothing.

He took another step quickening his pace. However, that was a mistake. Ash's arms began to circle wildly as he searched to regain his balance. His forward momentum carried him a few more feet and he landed hard falling backwards into a sitting position on the pavement. The trainer landed with a soft thud. Paul watched and drew up a warm smirk on his face.

Catching sight of his friend's expression, Ash began to try and rise. He planted his hands on the ground and used them for balance while he righted himself so he was standing on his wheels again. Then he let go of the ground. He made it about halfway to standing before his legs slipped out from under him in different directions and he ended up almost right back where he started. Pikachu let out a chuckle watching the scene unfold.

"Pathetic, you're really no good at this." Paul commented crossing his arms and looking down at Ash. "You cannot even roller skate, what kind of a Pokémon trainer are you?" Paul asked.

Ash's face turned to a sour mood. He gritted his teeth and tried to rise off the ground again. He got higher this time, but lost his balance and went down again. Ash repeated the experiment a few more times trying to find his equilibrium. However, he lost his balance and went down several more times before he stayed down. Ash landed in several different position and finally resorted to just sitting up on the ground with his feet forward. He reached up and rubbed a bump on his head from one of the falls to bring down the pain.

"Wow, this is a lot harder than it looks." He commented. Pikachu was rolling around on the bench laughing. However, Paul was not.

The second boy skated gently over towards Ash and looked down at him. The expression on his face had altered from one of annoyance and disdain to one of worry. He extended one arm outwards and down towards his friend.

"Here give me your hand." Paul commanded.

Ash took the other's hand and then brought both up to meet Paul's grasp. Gently, Paul pulled Ash upwards off the ground and allowed his friend to use him as a source of balance. This time with Paul's help, Ash managed to regain a standing position and remain upright. At least for a moment before his legs started to give way under him again. Paul pulled on Ash to compensate and kept his friend from suffering another episode on the ground.

"Here, when you are standing still put your legs like this." Paul explained as he demonstrated how to position his feet to allow him to maintain his balance at a standstill. Ash observed and did his best to mimic Paul's movements.

"Good, now keep your hands flat out in front of you like this. Make believe you are pushing down on an imaginary table. It will help you keep your balance. Then, take small steps forward at first." Paul explained.

Paul released his hold on Ash and let the other try a few forward steps. Paul moved backwards slowly allowing Ash a chance to use him for balance if the need arose. It arose quickly and he caught hold of Ash as he almost went down again.

"I really stink at this." Ash commented as he lost his balance again and went down on the ground. Paul attempted to catch him, but both of the boys went down in the process.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was your first time skating." Paul explained.

He pulled Ash forwards towards him and wrapped his arms around him as they sat there on the sidewalk. The two shared a long hug enjoying each other's embrace for a minute. Then Paul broke away and worked his way back to his feet next to Ash. He extended a hand downwards again and helped the other trainer back to his feet. The two boys were now standing facing each other their hands locked forming a two person circle. Paul let out a small smile.

"You know I think we should go back inside the shop." He offered.

"Yeah, maybe I haven't banged these skates up enough that they might still offer you a refund." Ash commented jokingly.

"Nah, I think we can teach you how to skate. We just need to make sure you don't end up in the hospital doing it." Paul explained.

He skated off to Ash's left side and took hold of Ash's arm. He swung the other boy's arm over his shoulder and began pulling them towards the shop slowly. Ash took it as it came and did his best not to go down. It took a few minutes, but they managed to return to the interior without either of them going down again. Paul directed Ash over to a seat against one wall and headed over to the counter.

"Excuse me please." Paul addressed the clerk.

Back