• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Making a Super Robot Wars-style battle appearance

CrashmanX

Mechamon
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Mar 22, 2016
    You'll have to forgive my ignorance, I'm fairly new to Pokemon Essentials and RPG Maker XP but I've got a question about where exactly the battle scene is set up in the scripts.

I'm wanting to make Super Robot Wars styled combat animations. However I'm not entirely sure where the battle scene is set up at, like where the positions for the characters are determined, and so on. I figure I'll have to do a lot of heavy re-writing, but I'd really love to have animations styled in such a manor.

On a side note, would moving backgrounds in-combat be possible using base Pokemon Essentials? I'm doubting, but like I said I'm willing to re-write things.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The battle scene (i.e. the stuff you actually see) is, bizarrely enough, in the script section PokeBattle_Scene. Even more strangely, the coordinates for various things in the scene (such as Pok?mon sprites) are all in the script section PokeBattle_SceneConstants. The move animation player is in the script section PokeBattle_AnimationPlayer, against all odds.

The battle background images are static, but can be gifs. I'm sure it wouldn't surprise you to learn that you'd have to edit it to suit your purposes.

CrashmanX

Mechamon
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Mar 22, 2016
    The battle scene (i.e. the stuff you actually see) is, bizarrely enough, in the script section PokeBattle_Scene. Even more strangely, the coordinates for various things in the scene (such as Pok?mon sprites) are all in the script section PokeBattle_SceneConstants. The move animation player is in the script section PokeBattle_AnimationPlayer, against all odds.

The battle background images are static, but can be gifs. I'm sure it wouldn't surprise you to learn that you'd have to edit it to suit your purposes.

Well now I feel pretty dumb. Suppose I should've poked around a bit more before jumping here to ask. Thanks.

Out of curiosity do you have any experience with using moving battlers? If so, which have you found to be more useful, GIFs or in-game animations? I'm thinking in-game but like I said, new to RPG Maker XP so I'm not certain how well it handles many separate sprites moving quickly and frequently.

Hrm... hadn't thought of using GIFs for the background. However I was thinking of using 3 separate images to comprise the background, to give the illusion of depth. One for the sky, one for the background, and one for the foreground. Given that they're to move at 3 separate rates I don't think GIFs would quite suit that need. I'll have to look into other scripts that made the background move for ideas though.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Out of curiosity do you have any experience with using moving battlers? If so, which have you found to be more useful, GIFs or in-game animations? I'm thinking in-game but like I said, new to RPG Maker XP so I'm not certain how well it handles many separate sprites moving quickly and frequently.
    I only make Essentials; I don't use it. Gifs are quick and dirty, and there are better ways of going about having animated Pokémon, which largely depend on how you want them to animate.

Back