• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are you reading?

Years
  • Since I catch the train to work I read a lot of books. Currently I am reading:

A Man Rides Through - Stephen R. Donaldson, which is the second book of a two book series. It is a fantasy novel where mirrors are used to show landscapes or creatures in other worlds that can be translated through the mirror by people called Imagers.

It's pretty good. My brother insisted I read it. I gave him a book to read in return that he hasn't read (he sucks), which I picked up in an op-shop and is amazing. It's called A Tale of the Wind, by Kay Nolte Smith and is set in 19th century Paris. It can take a little to get into it (which is why I'm annoyed my brother gave up reading it), but once you do it is absolutely amazing. My favourite thing about the book is the author's style - it's very classical and flows so beautifully. I have a hard time reading many modern books because while the story may be good, the actual writing ability is severely lacking. I'm probably going to re-read it soon.

Even with the current book I'm reading (which is fairly well written) it can jar on me. The author seems obsessed with mentioning the smirk or smile on a character's face, which strikes as amateur because it often is not adding anything at all to the scene. Other things I dislike is short explanations of expression. E.g. 'Terisa smiled helplessly.' One sentence alone after the dialogue of another character: it ruins any flow.

If anyone knows any good novels with strong writing, please let me know!

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Picked up The Giver after a good five years and basically read the whole thing in one sitting. For a children's/young adult's book, it is quite dark and thought provoking. Thinking about seeing the movie, which oddly enough came out right as I started getting a desire to read the book again.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
    Years
  • Haha~ Just finish reading The Legend Of Aang: Earth Element...i'm continue reading the Wind Element..

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I've been going back and forth between finishing If I Stay by Gayle Forman and Ever After High: The Storybook of Legends by Shannon Hale. Yes, I'm aware this book is for younger kids more or less but idc. I still love the idea of the fairytales having sons and daughters and what not. It's a very unique idea.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I've been reading Paper Towns by John Green, but haven't gotten far in it because of studies and things that distract me from reading. I hope to remember to pick it up again when I have the time.

S u m m e r y

time will turn us into statues eventually
    Years
  • Since I catch the train to work I read a lot of books. Currently I am reading:

A Man Rides Through - Stephen R. Donaldson, which is the second book of a two book series. It is a fantasy novel where mirrors are used to show landscapes or creatures in other worlds that can be translated through the mirror by people called Imagers.

It's pretty good. My brother insisted I read it. I gave him a book to read in return that he hasn't read (he sucks), which I picked up in an op-shop and is amazing. It's called A Tale of the Wind, by Kay Nolte Smith and is set in 19th century Paris. It can take a little to get into it (which is why I'm annoyed my brother gave up reading it), but once you do it is absolutely amazing. My favourite thing about the book is the author's style - it's very classical and flows so beautifully. I have a hard time reading many modern books because while the story may be good, the actual writing ability is severely lacking. I'm probably going to re-read it soon.

Even with the current book I'm reading (which is fairly well written) it can jar on me. The author seems obsessed with mentioning the smirk or smile on a character's face, which strikes as amateur because it often is not adding anything at all to the scene. Other things I dislike is short explanations of expression. E.g. 'Terisa smiled helplessly.' One sentence alone after the dialogue of another character: it ruins any flow.

If anyone knows any good novels with strong writing, please let me know!

That sound like a really interesting Novel, I'll have to check it out. Useless exposition annoys me too sometimes. Can I suggest you House of Leaves?

It's my favorite book! It's pretty self aware It's like you know you are outside of the Story and just are reading as a Spectator. Or at least you hope you are. It's like a story within a story. It's all about this haunted house. Or perhaps, it's about the haunted manuscript analyzing the videos filmed related to the haunted house. Or perhaps it's about the haunted person who found the haunted manuscript analyzing the videos of the haunted house. Or perhaps it's the haunted book that you are actually reading that contains all these haunted paths that make you feel like every person whoever reads this story, looks at this manuscript, or analyzes this film might never get away from the haunting inside. It's just a brilliant read!

Picked up The Giver after a good five years and basically read the whole thing in one sitting. For a children's/young adult's book, it is quite dark and thought provoking. Thinking about seeing the movie, which oddly enough came out right as I started getting a desire to read the book again.

Do not watch the movie, it is derivative and does not do justice to the book.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • I finished 2001: A Space Odyssey last night (which was incredible) and started Infinite Jest, which is absolutely hilarious so far but I can tell already that it's going to be quite an investment. it's 1,079 pages, so.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    The Quiet American-Graham Greene. Such a touching book, but I can't help but visualize Michael Caine, since I've seen the movie before reading it.

VanillaMiltank

GET SOME MILK
    Years
  • I'm currently reading Magician by Raymond E Feist (I'm a sort of book-juggler, I have this habit of reading several books at a time!!!) I had downloaded the e-book of one of Feist's books about three or so years ago: Rides A Dread Legion, but at the time, I got quickly bored with it and left it. I think it was because at the time, I wasn't yet at the stage where I could easily pick up and enjoy more "adult" books. I was like...eighteen or something, can't remember exactly when about I tried the book, so yeah, it didn't really hold my attention back then! But, recently I got this cool bundle box of 10 sci-fi/fantasy titles off a book website, and this Magician one was included in it; fortunately I'm really into it now, and enjoying the overall story :) I do find the Princess Carline quite aggravating though! :| (for anyone who's also read this, you'll know who I'm talking about!!! Lol) Other than that, however, very much engrossed in the book! Anyway, sorry about rambling on...:P

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
    Years
  • I'm currently reading The Night Ninja...the story is pretty good and tell all about ninjas...

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2022
    I've been going back and forth between finishing If I Stay by Gayle Forman and Ever After High: The Storybook of Legends by Shannon Hale. Yes, I'm aware this book is for younger kids more or less but idc. I still love the idea of the fairytales having sons and daughters and what not. It's a very unique idea.

This thread is on a Pokemon forum :P I think its safe to say we are all children at heart and you do not need to justify yourself. I might have to read that myself, I haven't heard of it. If I Stay was good though.

I'm reading pretty much the entire works of Richelle Mead because she is awesome and occasionally switching over to Chloe Neill's Chicagoland series. Its far fetched but it does tend to pull you in if given a chance.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I am reading a book that could be my favorite book of all time. It is called Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell. Fangirl is basically about an 18 year old girl named Cath who's starting college with her twin sister, and both sisters are fans of a book series. Cath can't let go of the fandom whatsoever, so she's always hooked on reading/writing fanfiction, visiting online forums, and attending conventions. Her twin sister is drifting away from the fandom, but wants to help Cath with her "fandom addiction". I'm halfway done with this book, but if you ever find yourself in the same situation as Cath, I highly recommend you reading this book. It is so funny in a way that it relates to you.

starseed galaxy auticorn

Years
  • Spellcaster by Claudia Gray and later Kiki's Delivery service with text by Eiko Kadono; translated by Lynne E. Riggs.

I have always ALWAYS been a fan of Miyazaki's films, which is why I got the second book. It's more geared towards older kids, but it's a chapter book as well. XD The second one I got because it seemed more interest time and involves magic, and it's something I really like.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I'm in between three books which is kind of annoying. I was only reading two but I left the one I was really into at my home in the suburbs and I won't be back for a few weeks so I picked up another one today to hold its place.

The Copywriter's Manual - this is for work since I'm being mentored for copywriting.
    The Tears of Autumn - the great book I left at home </3 it's a spy fiction novel about the assassination of JFK
    John Dies at the End - my placeholder book; it definitely has my interest.

Sensual

This should be good.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2018
    I've been reading a novel series titled Spice & Wolf. Put simply, its a romance about a traveling merchant and his companion who just so happens to be a wolf-diety. They travel across the land in order to find the latter's homeland, but there are plenty of complications along the way (most stemming from their budding relationship). I'm a huge fiction nut and an even bigger romance nut, so I've been really hooked lately.

It's a great read.

starseed galaxy auticorn

Years
  • I couldn't really get into the other books I was reading. I have a really hard time getting into books. However, I recently bought a book called Asylum by Madeleine Roux. It's a little scary right now for me, but I love anything about mental asylums for mental illness to disabilities.

Back