• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lyrics or sound - which is more important to you in music?

Which do you prefer in your music? Good sounding beats and vocals, or lyrics?

• Sound, instrumentation, vocals, etc

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Lyrics that are well written

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
Years
  • I want to say lyrics but the good lyrics need to be backed up by a good sound for me to even considering listening to a song twice. So it has to be both with lyrics on a slightly higher pedestal.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Not that I don't appreciate a well written song, but I'm actually perfectly okay with listening to a song that has crappy lyrics if the tune is catchy, so if I have to pick one, my vote goes to sound.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I prefer lyrics, if I just want to listen to sound I'll turn on some dubstep.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • as long as it sounds good, I'm all up for it. good lyrics are like a bonus for me. but this only makes sense since most of the stuff I listen to these days is mostly anime osts and openings/endings. or video game osts. ;p

I use music to relax - and I find that a nice beat can go a long way towards the accomplishment of that goal. a soothing instrumental track can do as much as a calm and atmospheric song with amazing lyrics as long as it is good. for me, at least.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    depends on the genre, if I'm at a party and they're playing rave music I don't really care what they have to say as long as the beat is phat and it sounds good. If I'm alone than yes I do care about the lyrics cause I got nothing to listen to

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
    Years
  • Nine times out of ten, it's lyrics for me. They just sorta stand out for me more and have more of a meaning to me, and that's what I tend to look for in songs, tbh. It's not to say that I won't like a song if it has good instrumentals/other sound based things, but I tend to listen more to the lyrics than the instrumentals.

Evanlyn

Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!
    Years
  • Depends on the genre or the mood I'm in as to which I prefer more. Both lyrics and musicality are usually equally important to me: if a song has good lyrics, but sounds crap, I don't listen to it. If it has bad lyrics, but sounds great, I don't listen to it. Simple.

This is probably why I have a small selection of songs: My main playlist is generally songs where the lyrics and musicality appeal to me.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I love foreign music and can't understand a word of it; the sounds and the feelings it gives me are more important than words. Words are wind.

Sir Codin

Good lyrics are nice and everything, but the sound of the vocals and the instruments are more important to me than the words.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
    Years
  • while i love how music can have a wide range of vocals and instrumentals, and i love listening to all of them, lyrics are more important to me because when it comes to music, for me to like it, i have to connect to it. i can't connect to a song with lots of bass and feel good tones because the lyrics, if there are any, probably consist of partying or something along the lines which i cannot connect to. i think that is the reason why i listen to so many sad/angry songs because i connect to them the most, as morbid as that sounds.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Sound for me, no doubt. My music style is dubstep, chillstep, glitch-hop, etc. They usually don't have any lyrics.
    I listen to japanese music for the half of my life, so I didn't listen to the lyrics. So now, when I listen to a song, I don't even focus on the lyrics.
    But sometime when I listen to a song and I understand the lyric, it got me..

Sound for me, no doubt. My music style is dubstep, chillstep, glitch-hop, etc. They usually don't have any lyrics.
    I listen to japanese music for the half of my life, so I didn't listen to the lyrics. So now, when I listen to a song, I don't even focus on the lyrics.
    But sometime when I listen to a song and I understand the lyric, it got me..

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I don't usually listen to songs with lyrics but when they do have them I still value the song over the lyric. I think the only times I care a lot about the lyrics are when they're just so bad or so forced, or so offensive that you can't help but notice them.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    it really just depends for me. There are some songs that I really like which have perfect lyrics but the sound isn't the best, or it might just be an a capella song with little instrumentation so all you hear is the voice and the lyrics. Then there are songs that have decent to bad lyrics but there's a part of the song that has the most beautiful violin or whatever it is that makes it stand out in terms of instrumentation or beats and that's what keeps me listening to it.
    I listen to many different genres so I can't exactly pinpoint if I like sound more than lyrics, because they're both important for a good song.

Years
  • Sound, most of the time lyrics are an added bonus that makes me like a song more. There are two types of good lyrics, ones that have a lot of meaning behind them, and ones that make you remember the song, and want to listen to it again. Catchy lyrics are good for a time, and then they just become annoying. I'm Looking at you, Am I Wrong. :[

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I think songs used to be all about the lyrics, but today they arem ore focused on the instrumentals. Both are ideal ofc, but I prefer a song with strong instrumentation and vocals more than the lyrics.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I'm *all* about sound. Instrumentation and vocals/vocal styles are more important to me than anything else in music.

However, I won't pretend that I don't listen for lyrics, but it always comes after I come to like a song's sound. I just always get emotion from the sound. It's fun to listen to the lyrics sometimes, though. Especially in British/Traditional Folk songs (they're generally dark and depressing though lol).

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Some of the songs I have on iTunes aren't even in English, and I don't really care to find out what the lyrics are in English. So yeah, I'm going to have to jump on the sound bandwagon. Lyrics are kind of an extra bonus and I have some that I really like that make a song better in my opinion, but I don't really pay much attention to lyrics unless they're awful or just annoying.

Back