• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Hardest Gym Leader?

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
Years
  • What was the hardest gym leader in D/P/Pt to defeat? Why?
    Discuss-Featured-e1297100380691.jpg

Years
  • I'd say Volkner. Although most of my team were high leveled (50-55) and they were resistant to Electric, he gave me a hard time. His Luxray was the biggest problem to me, due to it's coverage.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    I think it depends if you're talking about the three Sinnoh games as a whole or splitting Diamond/Pearl from Platinum.

Diamond/Pearl - I'd have to say that I really struggled Fantina in my Diamond save. Her Gengar was tough enough to take down but then her Mismagius, erugh. Horrid memories. I always seem to struggle against Ghost types in game as I very rarely pack something to directly counter them. In Platinum her team was scaled down and even two of her Pokémon weren't fully evolved.

Platinum - I'd have to say Volkner was an absolute nightmare for me. This was the time I had picked Piplup, and even had a second Water type on my team in Milotic. All of his Pokémon pack diverse moves which can counter a lot of things which is good for him, bad for us.

Years
  • The Gym Leaders are changed up a little bit in Platinum, so I'm going to do the same thing that the post did above me.

In Diamond/Pearl, it has to be Fantina. I really dislike the fact that she is so tough. I've lost against her quite a lot when I was on my journey. I was able to over level just a little bit, and she could still beat me. Then again, the Pokemon that I would use don't fully evolve until a few levels later. She once took out almost all of my team, except an Eevee. Some of her Pokemon's moves couldn't hit it, so it started to use Struggle and it died. I'm pretty sure that was my 3rd time playing Pokemon Diamond. It's a good thing that they made her a little bit weaker in Platinum.

In Pokemon Platinum, I think that the toughest Gym Leader was Crasher Wake. I have no clue why, I was able to beat him fine in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl but in Pokemon Platinum, I had no luck. It must have been the Pokemon that I chose in that game. His Gyarados would destroy a few Pokemon on my team, which wasn't much of a bother, but he took out the Roserade that I used. Then it all went downhill, the rest of my Pokemon would struggle against his Floatzel, that thing was fast. Roserade would be faster if it wasn't knocked out. If only I was smarter back then, I would have took a Jolteon to his gym and beat the Gyarados with it.

That's enough of my rambling for one day.

Euphoric

Indefatigable
    Years
  • This seems pretty unoriginal, but I'm going to say Fantina and Crasher Wake for both. Fantina was hard in D/P for having three high leveled, fully evolved Pokemon with strong moves in addition to not having many training opportunities for training after Wake. There were also few available Pokemon with SE moves/typing against her. In Platinum, she was also hard because of her Mismagius and Shadow Ball. When you only have two badges and corresponding levels, that thing hurts, moreso than in D/P. Her other Pokemon were annoying, but nothing compared to Mismagius.

Crasher Wake was a bit easy in D/P, but much harder in Platinum. Gyarados was bulky and hit hard, Quagsire was very bulky and immune to Electric, and Floatzel was very fast and also hit hard. You needed to plan your team for him, because if you didn't have a strong electric type, that Gyarados WILL KO 3-4 of your Pokemon. I use both an Electric and a Grass type just for him in my runthroughs of Platinum.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I will forever hate Fantina and her Mismagius in D/P. I've never raged more at a gym leader than I did with her. It just sucks that Mismagius' stats worked so well against my team, particularly with its Sp.Def and Sp.Atk. It ruined my Prinplup with Magical Leaf after I couldn't do anything with Bubblebeam.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It'd have to be Volkner; can't remember what it was, exactly, but for some reason, I just simply found it difficult to go up against this person. Aside from him, I suppose Fantina was pretty tough, too.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2021
    I remember having the most trouble with Crasher Wake. Most likely because I just went charging in with my Infernape. :P

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Thinking back I didn't really struggle with that many of the Gen IV leaders, although Fantina and awake are probably the toughest.

Braxien

Banned
    Years
  • I didn't really struggle with the Gym Leaders in the Gen IV games, but I would say the Gym which didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked was Volkner. One thing which confused my stupid mind was the puzzle. I was so desperate, I even asked my Dad who had never played on a DS in my life. Despite my team was powerful and mainly resistant to Electric, his Luxray caused problems to my team setup and I was surprisingly close to being defeated.

Last edited:

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
    Years
  • I didn't really struggle with the Gym Leaders in the Gen IV games, but I would say the Gym which didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked was Volkner. One thing which confused my stupid mind was the puzzle. I was so desperate, I even asked my Dad who had never played on a DS in my life. Despite my team was powerful and mainly resistant to Electric, his Luxray caused problems to my team setup and I was surprisingly close to being defeated.

I agree, the puzzle waas annoying as hell.

Years
  • Oh god, definitely Fantina. I always struggle against her because there's a lack of good counters for Ghost-types by the time you face her, in fact even worse in Platinum given how she's battled earlier in that case. It was always that Mismagius of hers that I struggled with, such a powerful special attacker that thing was.

Back