• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: What script editor is the best?

Years
  • Hello guys!
    I´m thinking of starting with rom hacking. I wanted to use pokescript, but I have read, that this programm is outdated. What scripting program do you guys think is the best and the best to use?

Thank for your answers:)

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
    Years
  • What scripting program do you guys think is the best and the best to use?

XSE and PKSV-UI are your two (stable) choices. They both have their virtues, but XSE is probably the better choice because more people use it, so there's more existing development (i.e.. better documentation and more publicly available scripts).

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • I think the best script editor is Red Alien, it'd definitely be worth learning I'd think.

From the popular script editors, XSE is the most community supported/popular while having incorrect documentation, an old software base and low support for future development. (Also after a certain length of script XSE loses the ability to compile the script in general! Yay!).

PKSV on the other hand has a couple of bugs I know of, it cannot compile certain money commands, compiling with a callasm routine in your script and modifying the routine then recompiling will revert your changes to the routine. On the plus side, for the starting hacker, it does include a script generator, movement helper, and pseudo dissembler ect.

So I would suggest picking up PKSV. When you're comfortable with scripting, you should move on to Red Alien since Red Alien supports the syntax in XSE & PKSV and doesn't have the bugs :)

Years
  • For my money, both XSE and PKSV are quite useful, though I have found PKSV's script generator alone helps out, at least for making the more tedious things, though I kinda don't like the script gen since it seems to not have support for extended items or pokemon. I have found a separate script generator anyway, so it starts to become a moot point. They're both equally good in my eyes, but be aware of those problems.

Back