• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded

Years
  • Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded

Intro:
    Ok so before I start I'd like to say that this is the first Kingdom Hearts game I've ever played so there will be absolutely no bias in this review at all it's just my feelings of the game without any influence from any of the previous or future games in the series. I just recently finished this for the second time. The first time was when I was 11 or something which basically means I never read the story the first time around, I skipped the tutorial because I was an impatient person, and I used Action Replay because I didn't know anything because I skipped the tutorial. So in a way you could count this as my first time playing, but anyways the review...

Story:
    Before I tell you about what I thought of the story here's some background info that I gathered from the game (Bold words are skip able if you know the story:
    Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded takes place after Kingdom Hearts II (there have been 3 games in all before it) and follows the story of Jiminy Cricket, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy in Disney Castle. In the beginning of the game, Jiminy Cricket, who is sorta like a journalist who has kept track of his travels throughout the games in two journals, notices a line that he never wrote in one of the journals (more specifically his "Thank Namine" journal) that reads: "Their hurting will be mended when you return to end it". So creepy right? Anyways to get to the bottom of why the heck that's there, Jiminy consults with King Mickey, who gets the contents of the journal digitized with some machine and that's where they notice that the whole journal has been corrupted with bugs. So to take care of the bugs they call upon Sora, one of the characters that was written inside the journal. And that's what you do. You travel through different worlds such as Traverse Town, or Wonderland and debug things. Now I found that to be quite honestly really boring. Like sure the first few times are like "Oh cool! New world!" except there were at least 6 worlds, so it got to be really repetitive. So that this point you may be wondering "Who wrote in Jiminy's journal and where did the bugs come from??? Tell me now Fun Size plz!!" Well you find that out at the end of the story and it's none other than Namine herself which is ironic because it says "Thank Namine" in the journal, but she's put us through heck trying to debug everything. However I actually like this part of the story. It really tied up all the loose ends of the story and it was a really sad moment when you see Namine remove herself from the journal's contents because she fulfilled the reason of why she was in there.

Graphics:
    Hey it's a Kingdom Hearts game what more can I say? They're known for their great visuals and I can see why. The colors they use are nice and appealing, but simple at the same time. Also the cutscenes Re: Coded has looks great! I've watched cutscenes from both the DS version of Re: Coded and the PS3 version of Re: Coded and even though the PS3 version was released 3 years after the DS version was released, the cutscenes are really hard to tell apart at least for me. Absolutely no complaints.

Characters:
    Ya gotta love Donald Duck, Goofy, and Mickey no matter what and they're no exception here. They were funny, enjoyable and provided comedic relief after a stressful fight or something. No complaints here either.

Controls:
    Oooooohhhhh god. This was to me the detriment of this game. They were absolutely awful and even made me rage quit once while I played. Even though I played this game on a 2DS which used the circle pad to its full potential, the controls were really funky and made gameplay really hard. An example is jumping. So the game has an auto-jump feature that makes Sora jump for you when you're near a ledge or something of that sort. The problem is that let's say you're near a ledge and you're waiting for a block to move towards you so you can walk on it to get from point a A to point B. Well sometimes the game thinks you're trying to take a plunge back to the bottom of the floor and jumps for you OFF THE LEDGE. You have no idea how many times that's happened and it made me wonder what I was doing with my life. :P

Conclusion:
    Alright well... that took too long. Haha it took me like an hour at least to type all that, but hey I got it done. I just want to say that this was my first review (if you couldn't tell already) and possibly my last unless Dragon does the VGR competition again. Anyways thanks for reading this train wreck of a review and ignore all the typos I probably littered this thread with. :P

Back