• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3DS SD Card Expansion

Years
  • I hope I'm in the right place. My question isn't really Pokemon specific & is more of a hardware question about 3DS.

So I've downloaded Pokemon Blue on virtual console as well as the ORAS demo but I don't have enough blocks left to download ORAS or probably any other games. I've got a 2GB in it now & according to what I Googled, 3DS only supports a 4GB SDHC card? 4GB just seems so small when I shop for them online they seem to cost more than larger cards. I've also done a little research on how to transfer things to a new SD card.

So, any contributions from personal experiences or recommendations?

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • I had a 16GB card in my original 3DS and it worked fine. For transferring data from one SD card to another, all you have to do is put the SD cards' contents on a computer, and put them onto the new SD card. The software is tethered to the 3DS so digital downloads will still work.

Years
  • The 3DS natively supports up to 32gig SDs, as that's the highest that SDHC goes.

SDXC also works, with a little formatting. Theoretically, you can go far above just 32Gb.

I just have to note that going beyond 64GB will make things messed up like themes being reset and a few other things not at the top of my head. Unless this was patched, that is.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I just have to note that going beyond 64GB will make things messed up like themes being reset and a few other things not at the top of my head. Unless this was patched, that is.
    Been running a 64 gig myself and it's worked out just fine.

These thing'll only reset if you you don't properly format the card or move the files prior to first putting it in your 3DS. There's one other condition, but it's pretty finicky and super easy to fix.

Years
  • Been running a 64 gig myself and it's worked out just fine.

These thing'll only reset if you you don't properly format the card or move the files prior to first putting it in your 3DS. There's one other condition, but it's pretty finicky and super easy to fix.

I said beyond 64GB. 64 runs just fine, but 128GB+ starts acting up sometimes.

Back