• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Poll] Weekly Poll #3: Max vs. Bonnie

Max or Bonnie?

• Max

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Bonnie

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
Years
  • Weekly Poll #3

Welcome to the third Pokémon Anime weekly poll, where characters from the series are pitted against each other in a voting war with results decided on by you.

This week's poll is between the youngsters Ash has or is currently traveling with.

200px-Max_Ralts.png

Max

vs.

250px-Bonnie_and_Dedenne.png

Bonnie

Images courtesy of Bulbagarden. Thank you!

Here are some possible topics to consider when replying:

• Although the XY saga is still airing, who did you feel had better character development and story episodes so far?
    • Did you wish Max obtained his own Pokémon during his journey with Ash, similar to Bonnie? What Pokémon would you have given him?
    • Did you enjoy Max's bigger role in Jirachi: Wish Maker?
    • What do you think of Bonnie's quirk of often asking older women to 'please marry' Clemont, her brother?

Note: Weekly Poll #4 will be up two weeks after today. I will be away for vacation for the entirety of next week.

Last edited:

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • You know, I have to go with Bonnie on this one. I really liked Max, truly I did, but there's something about Bonnie that makes her much more appealing as a character. A lot of it may have to do with her funny relationship with her brother, I love that she asks women to marry Clemont, and with Dedenne and Squishy. I think that is allowing her to do some decent development as a side character, a little more so than Max did, development wise, in my opinion.

In reference to one of the questions, I do wish Max had received his own Pokemon, I think it would've allowed for more development through a good connection with whatever Pokemon he received. I personally go straight to Zigzagoon, Poochyena or even Ralts as a Pokemon I'd like to have seen him have. This would've been a nice added dynamic for the Hoenn saga to have had but alas, it did not happen.

Like I said, Max is great and I do like him but I prefer Bonnie just a bit more as a character and her relationship with the other members of the traveling group is a fun and entertaining dynamic to me.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • No offense, but Max was an awful character as a whole. He was disgusting to his sister, and treated her like absolute junk, and I don't appreciate it. So, I prefer Bonnie in that respect. I feel like neither of them really developed much throughout their story. =/ And unlike Max, Bonnie equated to something in story. Max was just there as Brock pulling ear gag.

I suppose it'd have been nice for Max to get his own Pokemon... but who'd look after it? May most certainly wouldn't. If I had given him a Pokemon to look after, probably Ralts since he promised he'd go back for it. As for Max's role in the Jirachi movie, I thought it was subpar at best.

Bonnie's gag? It's...alright. It's stale by now. Found it entertaining in the beginning, but that's about it. Hope she grows out of it by the last episode.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2017
    Ehhhh max may not have had his own Pokémon but he did connect with a fee of May's. May not have Been like Bonnie and Dedenne but the fact of the matter is still there imo.

Overall I like Bonnie more. But I don't feel like it's fair for me to judge when I've never watched all of Hoenn.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Max was quite the annoyance. Bonnie is better in every regard. She's almost the bigger sister mentally, based on the way Clemont acts sometimes. {XD}

Years
  • Like Karnavaly said, Max was a bit of a brat towards his own sister May (and also Ash) at times. Bonnie on the other hand is more friendly and has an adorable Pokemon companion in Dedenne.

So yeah, I vote Bonnie.

Last edited:

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    [*]Although the XY saga is still airing, who did you feel had better character development and story episodes so far?
    Eureka is a pretty fun character who brings a lot to XY's main group. I like her relationships with Serena and Citron. She has also had some good episodes centered around her. But there's no sense that she's really learning anything from this journey. When this series ends and the characters all split up, Eureka will more or less be in the same position she was when XY first began. And that's fine, because not every character really needs an arc and Eureka brings enough as she is.

Masato, on the other hand, does experience some character development throughout AG. It's not a great deal of it or anything, but just compare his final scene with Satoshi in AG192 to their first meeting in AG003 and see the difference. There's a sense that traveling around, meeting different Pokémon, and watching Satoshi and Haruka has given him a lot more respect for what being a trainer entails. And he definitely respects the both of them a little more than he used to.

The downside to Masato compared to Eureka, at least to some fans, is that he's harder to like. Masato periodically takes shots at Satoshi and Haruka in AG, especially in the early-going, and has a slightly more abrasive characterization. Eureka essentially gets along with everybody in the group. Even her jabs at Citron are really occasional and downplayed. Eureka may not have his character development, but her characterization is less abrasive. On the other hand, however, Masato's relationships with the rest of the group are more established and varied.

Personally, I could take or leave either. I like the both of them, but neither they nor the episodes centered around them are what I check for when I watch AG or XY. But if I had to choose? I'd probably take Masato. He's a little more interesting.

[*]Did you wish Max obtained his own Pokémon during his journey with Ash, similar to Bonnie? What Pokémon would you have given him?
    Not really. For as much as Eureka being 'given' Dedenne seemed like a good idea at the beginning of XY, she doesn't do much with it. Masato with a Pokémon would more or less being the same thing.

[*]Did you enjoy Max's bigger role in Jirachi: Wish Maker?
    It was okay. The problem was that the Jirachi movie just wasn't that interesting. And in terms of "main character befriends the spotlighted movie's Pokémon", Masato and Jirachi has nothing on Satoshi and Lucario… or even Haruka and Manaphy.

That being said, I really do miss when Pocket Monsters films actually worked to have the main characters contribute substantially to the plot and have an actual emotional stake in the events. So I appreciate Masato's role in the sixth movie for that much alone.

[*]What do you think of Bonnie's quirk of often asking older women to 'please marry' Clemont, her brother?
    It's a redone version of Takeshi's gag, no more and no less. And while I don't hate it, it's really not that funny to see it done the exact same way with no variation for three years. At least Takeshi had the funny visual of Greggru jabbing him in the crotch and dragging him away…

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    Bonnie is beyond adorable and I love the way she acts like the older sibling at times, my vote goes to her.

Back