• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your opinion on online dating?

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
My feelings about them are that... if they happen, they happen, and they have happened to me before. At the time I kinda cross that bridge when I come to it. Some people can fall for others online the same as they can offline, and if that happens sometimes you just want it to work. Though, I'm not super fond of them, because they're kind of painful when you can't ever see the person, at least not unless both have the money for that sorta thing. I'm not a big fan of it anymore, because I like physically dating, so online wise, it really doesn't go past crushes if I can help it.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I don't really have an opinion about that, I never experience it myself and I don't think I ever will, but two of my friend have met theire boyfriend/girlfriend online and both are very happy and in love! They have met each other (one couple live togheter now) and everything seem to look just fine.
One of my friend who met her boyfriend online found a really nice and cute guy, who live far aways so if it wasn't of the internet she would never met him. And I hope they'll stay togheter forever :)

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
I'm open the idea of online dating. I wouldn't know what ways we could actually date instead of just talk apart from maybe watching some film together online. I'm kind of desperate for a partner at this point so I'm experimenting a bit more.

Years
As patronizing as it sounds, no one should feel pressured to finding their "life partner" at a young age, but should consider dating a means of practice, discovering needs/wants, and then being able to pass the final exam at a time when they are better established and know what they want in life (career, family, romance).

Online dating does help with the accessibility, and might help expedite the process in some respects, so long as it's not exclusively online. In other ways, it may stunt the potential experience for defining needs in the future if someone isn't experiencing the good and the bad of real-life dating. And further, there can be a depersonalizing process, since "the bad" of many real-life dating, can be temporarily avoided in an online context, and rather, the person becomes almost a fantasy, more desirable, mysterious, but it's all an illusion to both participants. The idealization/depersonalization is experienced ephemerally when using an online dating site to meet someone in person; it establishes higher expectations and certain attributes are ascribed to both individuals, which then makes the meeting process less satisfactory (even if the two people are a good "match" otherwise). That is why I would suggest meeting in person as soon as possible and comfortable for both people, and have a realistic expectation. (not to say to lower your realistic standards though)

Universe

all-consuming
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
my general advice for online dating is to not do it if you're really keen on touching, kissing, all that physical stuff. because eventually you're gonna go crazy with need and be unable to fulfill it... ya know, cause there's kinda miles, states, ocean, etc., between ya'll.

but hey dang if you don't care for any of that, it sure can work! ya just gotta want it, like most things that require effort.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I'm a needy individual. My first relationship I had online was at 15 with a guy that claimed to be 19ish but was actually 22/23 at the time. I didn't find out till later when I randomly looked at his birth date on his Health Card. That wasn't the only thing he lied about either. He lied about having completed highschool. He omitted telling me had had schizophrenia pills for years but stopped taking them. He also became a different person once he became comfortable with me / was sure that I was under his whim. He began stealing from me and lying about it. He became verbally abusive followed by physical and sexual abuse, accompanied by the why-did-I-believe-it claim of "It won't happen again; I promise."

That relationship ended after six years off and on. We met online, but in person he became completely different. He was controlling and abusive. You'd look up narcissist in the dictionary and there'd be a picture of him. You'd also find his picture under the following key terms: racist, radical, Muslim, misogynist, patriarch, manipulation, schizophrenia, crazy and sociopath. It was sad. I wasted so many years trying to help him only to be left with trauma and nightmares of abuse and him threatening to stab me / strangle me, as he had done.

I almost lost hope for online dating. I was on POF and other websites and everyone was only interested in sex and hook-ups. I'm not like that. I have a bigger goal - the typical marriage, house, car, kids fairytale - which now seems a bit passé or "old-fashioned" or genderlocked.

But I met my new boyfriend randomly a few months after my ex' was temporarily incarcerated. My new sweetpea is a nice boy with an education, good parents, good values and pretty OK goals. We have a lot in common, although he's a bit more "I'm a dude and don't show my emotions until it's too late" while I'm a needy kitty that likes being petted on the head.

I don't have any quarrels with online dating, even with that first experience. I'm happy now. Just be careful if you do participate in it because, as I experienced first-hand, people can show something online and retain that image long enough in real life to convince you that that's who they are when in fact it's a complete facade.

And make sure to know your resources, men and women alike, in order to get out of those situations, especially if you move far away from friends and family like I did. Make sure you know where to go if things go very wrong.

That's all :pink_nod:

Back