• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RMT Dinosaur Themed

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2010
    Rate My Team: Dinosaur Themed First things first, as you will probably notice immediately.....I am an extreme newb. That being said, I realize my team has several pokemon all weak to water and electric. However please keep in mind the dinosaur theme, which was part of the reason for my selections. Otherwise it's meant to contain an element of surprise in the ways of lapras and bastiodon. My move sets, held items, and moods came from Smogon with the acception of Aerodactyl which I credit to Tuperious and his pokemon team building 101 video series with the acception of 1 or 2 move tweaks. here it is.

Aerodactyl: Leftovers Adament
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Fire Fang
    Ice fang
    Rock Slide
    Aqua tail
    A physical Sweeper, undecided on a fourth move, leaning towards aqua tail to counter Fire ground and Rock types, ice fang against grass types, as well as other flyers, dragon, or ground types. Fire fang is primarily for skarmory and other steel types.

Bastiodon: Leftovers Impish
    252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD
    Rock Blast
    Toxic
    Roar
    Stealth Rock
    A wall/support dishing out toxic and laying down stealth rock, possibly my lead though his speed is probably too low, I just dont see another good lead on this team, as the roar and toxic combo makes sense to lead off with as well as the fact that he puts stealth rock in place.

Charizard: Life orb Adament
    144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
    Flare Blitz
    Thunder Punch
    Dragon Dance
    Roost
    Sp Sweeper, dragon dance to boost his attack and speed, roost to recover from any damage he took dragon dancing, fire blitz is main tool to wipe out foes. Life orb to boost attack and roost compliments both fire blitz and the orb well. Lastly thunderpunch counter's other flyers and also water types, and brings a slight element of surprise.

Lapras: leftovers Modest
    192 HP / 112 Def / 160 SpA / 44 SpD
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt
    Surf
    Sing/perish song
    sp sweeper, his low speed concerns me, and original I saw him as a wall, but I liked this build on smogon and tweaked it a bit to possibly contain perish song which I think is definitely under used. Do you think the sleep talking lapras would work better? Thunderbolt, surf, and ice beam are all terrific sp at moves, and surf and ice beam are STABed which is always good. I am definitely leaning more towards perish song, butlet me know if you have any reasons why song is stronger. thunderbolt is of coarse a great trick against other water types, so switching out say aerodactlyl against a milotic, switching in lapras, taking almost no damage from a water attack and strking back with thunderbolt could work well.

Torterra: Leftovers Impish
    212 HP / 252 Def / 44 Spe
    wood hammer
    Leech Seed
    Stealth Rock
    Protect
    Tank, now thats a dino if I've ever seen one, he is the other wall for this team aside from bastiodon. Leech seed was just a must have for me, as it a great move for widdling away hp while gaining some back for your team. protect is of coarse a screen for the team, and I thought it would be wise to have another stealth rocker. Wood hammer is just a really strong attack and the leftovers/leech seed make up for recoil damage.

Tyranitar Leftovers Quiet
    252 HP / 52 Atk / 176 SpA / 28 Spe
    Crunch
    Substitute
    Focus Punch
    Flamethrower
    I know he's over used but I needed a replacement for Garchomp and I already had a leveled tyranitar, though I do need a replacement as I don't want another rock type on the team. Substitute into focus punch, and I chose flamethrower over thunderbolt as I already have several electric type attacks amongst charizard and lapras, if this is a dumb reason let me know, as I really like the idea of having a counter to gyrados and milotic, but flamethrower can take out tangrowth, venasaur, skarmory, and other anoying grass/steel type leads and status inflictors. Crunch over dark pulse to abuse his high physical attack( he is a phys sweeper) and you also get the flinch possibility.

Suggestions needed and welcome. Please keep dino theme in mind if suggesting different pokemon, though I am willing to sacrifice that for functionality if necessary. Thanks

Last edited:
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Aerodactyl doesn't need Agility, it already outruns everything in OU bar the rare Ninjask and Scarf users which can't do anything to Aero anyway. Even when outrunning said Scarfers, Aero still can't OHKO common users like Jirachi. However, he does need a way to boost his power, since its Attack isn't that astounding, so use Choice Band. Now, use Aqua Tail instead of Agility, this helps a great deal in damaging Pokémon like Hippowdon and Gliscor. Fire Fang possesses superior coverage than Ice Fang, which only hits Flygon (and Latias, but Stone Edge deals more), where as Fire Fang damages Bronzong, a much bigger threat in my opinion. Fire Fang can also hit Skarmory without you having to rely on Stone Edge's accuracy. Also, if you dislike being locked into a move, I suggest Life Orb, but you no longer have a chance of 2HKOing Bronzong with Fire Fang. Though, replacing Agility depends on you.

Bastiodon is very poor in OU in my opinion, I would say you need a replacement that can lead well, because Aero loses to pretty much every lead used. I suggest Heatran or Skarmory (closest dinosaur-like leads I could find lol), though it depends on what you think fits the theme best.

Charizard is terrible when not using a Rapid Spin user, Stealth Rock strips 50% of its health away upon switching... Coupled with Life Orb and Tyranitar, it will not last long at all, even with Roost which he will most likely find a hard time to use it (I would assume). I would drop it completely, unless you're willing to use Rapid Spin user (preferably Forretress though) instead of maybe Bastiodon.

Lapras looks fine, but like I said earlier, a Rapid Spin user would be nice because Stealth Rock chips away 25% of its health. Being your main bulky Water, you don't want that. Also, I'd consider a Rest-talk set for recovery, but it loses coverage, so just test it to see if works better or not.

You don't need Stealth Rock on Torterra if you're going to have it on Bastiodon as well, it just wastes a moveslot when something more useful could be used. Use Earthquake or Stone Edge instead, Earthquake for STAB and Stone Edge injures Flying-types.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    1) Regarding Aerodactyl, if you're using her as a lead, the suicide lead set is probably the best. Holding Focus Sash and running Stealth Rock.

2) Two Pokemon with Stealth Rock aren't needed. If you're worried about your SR being spun away, get a Spin Blocker (a.k.a. a Ghost-type)

3) I wouldn't use Charizard if you don't have a Rapid Spinner on your team

4) Bastiodon kind of sucks in OU due to crippiling 4x weaknesses to Ground and Fighting. Lapras also isn't the best choice for an OU team. Wait until you're more experienced to use lower tiered Pokemon in OU.

Also, interesting Tyranitar set but you may want to give the tried and true DDTar a go.

Back