• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Shrinking and Growing in XY

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • Oh, I didn't notice this! I kind of just assumed that it was a bug gym and you were bouncing on a spiderweb, but though I guess it's possible that we could shrink? I wonder how that could be integrated into the storyline without it being too... non-Pokemon? Sounds interesting! ^^

Not going to really shoot down any ideas (I had no idea what this was anyway) because it seems that with the new graphics they could try and do anything this generation!

Years
  • I really hope we dont get any kind of shrinking. Imo it would be the worst hm since defog and correct me if im wrong but minimize lets a pokemon shrink itself to raise its evasion and that would be weird if it could shrink a protag. Weird for even pokemons standards
    With that being said
    To me it looks like a climbing puzzle
    most climbing puzzles are thin areas that you can move forth and back with decent length but your side to side r.o.m is limited
    This would explain why the one sprite looks bigger.
    As you walk the web closer to him.
    You enlarge also.
    As you walk it further back you shrink.
    Just part of the overworld graphics

Then again looking at the pic. I dont see any reason to assume you can shrink.
    The giant leafy background and giant web just seem like normal pokemon game aesthetics

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Your "water would TOTALLY not look like that if that web was people-sized" ignores the fact that we're not looking at a huge web in a real life environment. Game Freak probably bent physics a bit to make the area more interesting. It's not like they haven't done that before.

No shrinking and growing here.

Altix

Son of a Snivy and a Zoroark
    Years
  • I think it's just going to be a gym where you have to find your way around the water droplets on the giant spiderweb... but I dunno.

Years
  • The water droplets do seem to be too large to be normal, but then there are Pokemon moves that play with water in strange ways. I think it's more likely that it's just irregular Pokemon world water than that you've shrunk down. But yeah, they've done weirder things with Pokemon science than potentially shrinking people. I won't rule it out yet. I do wonder what the log platforms are though. They would have to be tiny logs if you're that small and that doesn't exactly make sense.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • He stated it as if it was fact. That was what put me off, not the disagreement in itself - a lot of other people disagreed and I didn't call them out on it.

Yes, because it's not like you were doing the exact same thing with your first post by just stating "So, you shrink in XY." and automatically jumping to the conclusion it was water or something. :cheeky:
    I tease, obviously, because I know neither of you were really doing anything other than speculating!

Anyway, as for your idea of shrinking/growing, I say that I am not going to rule it out or anything, but I would prefer if it wasn't actually implemented. But, since we haven't gotten to actually see any shrinking gameplay, I'm just making first impressions that could change! Shrinking could turn out to be amazing, for all we know. If it really is shrinking.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2013
    Pretty sure its a gym. You can see the trainers you battle as you try to work your way up to the gym leader in this spider-web maze.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Your "water would TOTALLY not look like that if that web was people-sized" ignores the fact that we're not looking at a huge web in a real life environment. Game Freak probably bent physics a bit to make the area more interesting. It's not like they haven't done that before.

No shrinking and growing here.

I think they like to be accurate with these things if they can. Plus it makes it more interesting for the fans to try and analyse if the water drops are in such a way. Personally I have no clue what it is, but it certainly looks interesting. I wouldn't mind shrinking/growing if it was just in that one area, but in a whole region might seem strange.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    It might be interesting to see this happen in a Pokemon game. (I know it was a feature that drew me to Minish Cap.) I'm not sure how they would implement it to be game-wide, since it would seem like a waste to only have something this fascinating in one small area, like a Gym. Maybe Minimize (or a different move) being an HM? I hope not, since there's already enough HMs that had to be shuffled around.

Or it could be just a really great Gym effect/puzzle. Have to wait and see. Either way would be fine with me, though the shrinking idea is a little more interesting.

Years
  • Maybe they block your path in the web. Maybe they slow your strut down
    One thing that i believe negates this beliefe is simple
    No hm has ever been used on a human character, flash lit up caves for you didnt give you power to light up caves, fly lets you ride a pkmn to new area not you fly, surf lets you ride on a pkmns back to a new area not you swim there, strength allows your pkmn to move boulders... etc. You have to get where im going with this.
    Ntm that nothing in the picture actually points to shrinking but i dont wanna be a mean person.
    It just doesnt sound good or look good for players or game creators
    It is pretty much the worst idea for an hm besides having teleport and fly as an hm in the same game
    Or maybe scratch could replace cut?
    Rock smash could replace strength
    Theoretical guesses could assume that if one could learn surf it wouldnt need to learn waterfall and dive through elimination
    alls im saying is there is a ton of tweaking that can be done to hms
    But this just seems weird and displeasing

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure it's a Gym Environment, and therefore part of a Gym puzzle. I hadn't considered the possibility, but it would be quite fun if the protagonist could shrink down. It would certainly make the gym more adventurous. Maybe it won't be a move, but an item that can do it? (Like the Lucky Mallet, for those who played Okami or watched Kamisama Hajimemashita). And like most Key Items, it can only be used at certain places.

Then again, it might just be part of the decoration, and the "water drops" might be plastic or glass functioning as barriers in the labyrinth.

(Say, PC, you do not need to auto-censor that. :B)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'm pretty sure it's a Gym Environment, and therefore part of a Gym puzzle. I hadn't considered the possibility, but it would be quite fun if the protagonist could shrink down. It would certainly make the gym more adventurous. Maybe it won't be a move, but an item that can do it? (Like the Lucky Mallet, for those who played Okami or watched Kamisama Hajimemashita). And like most Key Items, it can only be used at certain places.

Then again, it might just be part of the decoration, and the "water drops" might be plastic or glass functioning as barriers in the labyrinth.

(Say, PC, you do not need to auto-censor that. :B)

A shrinking item hmmm idt they'd do that mainly because I don't see much of a need to shrink down. XD; Like why else would you need to unless it was a sort of gym, and for it to happen automaticallyy.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • A shrinking item hmmm idt they'd do that mainly because I don't see much of a need to shrink down. XD; Like why else would you need to unless it was a sort of gym, and for it to happen automaticallyy.

Wellllll... maybe there can be cool sidequests you can do! There's bound to be seasonal/timed events in these games, so, maybe like a timed events that's only exclusive to shrinking down? There can be also an interesting side-story line too~

Years
  • It's definitely a Gym, but I don't think you'd shrink. I know the water droplets look huge (assuming that's what they are), but I'm willing to bet they're just giant Pokémon-world droplets. In the trailer, the Player jumps on the web and those droplets move/fall off, creating a new path for the Player, I'll bet. It's just a Gym puzzle, and I doubt they'd include something as.. "scientifically advanced" (and I know, I know, "It's Pokémon") as shrinking or growing the Player just for a Gym puzzle.

Back