• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Will I still enjoy XY after ORAS?

Years
  • Hey there. So I'm getting back into Pokemon big time this year. I've bought Blue for the 3DS Virtual Console. I'm into AS again in a big way as I work to relearn all the stuff I'd forgotten during my break the past year, and plot completion of at least all the ORAS Pokemon.

I wonder for some added variety, if I might buy X or Y and enjoy a third adventure this year. If I don't burn out by year's end, I might also buy Moon (just sounds cooler than Sun, and I nearly always go for the lighter/cooler (as in temperature) sounding choice).

However I am curious what I might find different or missing feature and mechanics wise in the older XY. Is there anything important that would be off putting, d'ya reckon? What do people who've played through XY and ORAS think?

TIA :-)

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • I don't think playing ORAS before XY will bring any detriment to your enjoyment. Differences in mechanics are minimal, but present. You may find some slight differences in the move learning curves of certain monsters - for instance, a Seaking in ORAS learns Waterfall at level 32 while in XY it will learn it later at level 40. There are many such differences in learning curves but they really are immaterial to your experience.

Another thing worth mentioning is the few additional Mega Evolutions that came with ORAS that naturally are not available in XY. Mega Beedrill, for example, cannot be attained in XY.

All in all I would say you have nothing to worry about. Both ORAS and XY represent Gen VI beautifully. I have replayed both pairs in succession of each other and find no bad egg worthy of report (also XY has Roller Skates = winning).

Years
  • Like Elysieum said, some Pokemon have a change in level-up moves between the games, and ORAS has some Mega Evolutions that can't be obtained in XY, but XY also has trainer customization and a larger Pokedex so that's its main advantages over ORAS.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • X and Y has a much more extensive Pokedex than ORAS. The one thing that made ORAS go stale very quickly for me was only being able to encounter the same Pokemon over and over again.

Reactions: EC

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    As someone who is a huge Hoenn fan, I still will say, to this day, I enjoyed/enjoy X and Y more than Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Graphics seem more smooth, UI is more friendly looking, and as Godshida said, tons of Pokemon to choose from.

Years
  • OR/AS is a re-make, and as such mostly based upon a previous game, in design and otherwise. You might expect XY to be quite different, being a more independent game of the series, while also being structured more around these features and so on. If you were just into Gen. VI, being perhaps not a Mewtwo (or their ex, who we may after May call Amber), then the games more native to the format might be a better experience, with newer Pokémon more prominently featured and more centred around the novelties of the game, and certainly quite a different one. OR/AS was presumably not meant as a substitute for both X/Y and R/S/E, it was rather mostly an update to R/S/E to bring it closer to X/Y and what's there. If you like the Gen. VI elements, you might just like the main Gen. VI games, and certainly not want to miss them - if you primarily liked the R/S/E elements, then you could just stick to playing that.

Years
  • Thanks, I reckon XY sounds like a fun change from ORAS. Not just more of the same. So I'll buy X or Y (any preferences? Some better exclusive pokemon?) for in-between my current poke fix and Sun/Moon.

When you say XY has more pokemon, are they spread across a greater area, or more per zone?

Cheers!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I feel we'll enjoy going through XY whether or not if we've played ORAS; they have a completely different storyline, as well as features (character customization, for instance).

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I played ORAS before Y, the games are very different in their own ways and both offer a wide range of fun. I prefer ORAS but that's because the original Hoenn games are among my favourite Pokemon titles ever released. Don't be so quick to dismiss X and Y, I think you'll quite enjoy them if you liked ORAS. :)

Years
  • Yes, you'll still enjoy XY. I never could finish ORAS, would always lose interest. This is gonna sound crazy but TO MUCH WATER. I enjoy the Kalos region alot.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • XY and ORAS are each great games. Some other posters have already given you some of the differences.

I definitely think XY is worth a play. I prefer XY over ORAS, personally.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    X is good if you want a bit more experience with the fairy type, Y is good if you want some powerful looking pokemon.

IsaacTwentySeven

Shiny Electivire
    Years
  • Played OR and Y within 2 weeks of each other (this month, actually), with the Gen 3 remake being completed first. Can confirm that you will not find X or Y any less spectacular after playing OR or AS.

IsaacTwentySeven

Shiny Electivire
    Years
  • Is the lack of a DexNav to locate pokemon with hidden abilities a problem when going to XY?

Pokemon in friend safaris have a high rate of having hidden abilities, but aside from that, yes. After playing OR before Y, the one thing I did miss was the DexNav and the more easily accessible map functionality on the bottom screen.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • So sad that "wait for Z because it'll be better than all of them" isn't a valid answer anymore -_-

Is the lack of a DexNav to locate pokemon with hidden abilities a problem when going to XY?

If you're going for Dex completion, then you might miss how easy the Dex Nav makes it to find the particular Pokémon you're looking for in a given area. But that doesn't necessarily mean it'll hurt your enjoyment of X/Y overall. Each game has a lot of features that the other doesn't, and I don't think any one pair is objectively better than another, so the order you play them in shouldn't matter much :)

Yuutsa

Regretting life, one step at a time
    Years
  • If you like the Gen. VI elements, you might just like the main Gen. VI games, and certainly not want to miss them - if you primarily liked the R/S/E elements, then you could just stick to playing that.
    This is probably the best way to make a decision.

For the most part, the experience will likely be strong enough to be a completely new experience for you, and there are some features that are not shared between them. It really depends on how much you used them.

Like the aforementioned DexNav, and for me the big one I always instinctively try to use when replaying X/Y is Soaring. Also, the map isn't as easily accessible, being bound to a Key Item. Secret bases and Contests are also ORAS exclusive, though I never really used those features, so it didn't matter to me.

But there are features exclusive to XY, such as Rollerskating, Character Customization, and the Pokeradar, which is useful for shiny hunting, but not much else,

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2016
    I also beat ORAS before XY, and the lack of DexNav is a big deal, for me anyway. I'm not a completionist and have never finished a Pokedex, but DexNav is just too cool. DexNav in ORAS is actually inspiring me to attempt to complete a PokeDex for the first time ever (that and PokeBank).

Now, I'm just trying to race through XY so I can go back to ORAS and work on that PokeDex.

Back