• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A question on a questionable one shot.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years
  • Currently, the chapters that I've written for Mission: Find the Source of the Madness are being Beta- Read. I'm not going to write any more chapters until we are caught up with all the revisions. However, I don't want to lose my skill that I've worked so hard to polish. I had an idea for a One Shot, but it's questionable. First of all, it has the potential to be VERY long. Now, I'm not sure on the determined length of one shots but this could be anywhere from 20- 50 pages long. It also has a serious potential of insulting characters from Pokemon that people adore and are fans of.

So on to the base of the one shot.

I recently, for a project in school, had to present to a bunch of elementary school kids a presentation about drugs and alcohol. If anyone has had to participate in D.A.R.E. or any other drug and alcohol education program, you know that they make those kids swear that they will NEVER do drugs. Funny thing is, most kids do end up doing drugs or drinking under age. So this inspired me! The idea for my one shot is to write what each of the characters (from the anime and manga) would do if they were asked to do drugs. I'd have a section for what would happen if they said "yes" and a section for if the said "no". Sure, it's questionable, drugs and alcohol in Pokemon? Maybe not so unbelievable in the manga but in the anime? See what I mean? It intrigues me at least.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Seeing as how, from what I understand, you are just mentioning drugs/alcohol in your story, then it's fine.

If you want to send the parts to me first so I can look them over and give final say, then that's fine.

And there are so many things I can list that people have done in fanfiction that wouldn't be seen in the anime. >_>

Also, how badly are we getting into insulted characters? I mean, if you sit there and realistic show the characters screwing up because they are under the influence, then it's not horrible. However, if you just sit there and go LOOK HOW STUPID ASH IS BEING BECAUSE HE'S SO STUPID AND AN IDIOT. HE DESERVES TO DIE!!!!1!!1! HOW CAN ANYONE LIKE HIM!? IF YOU LIKE HIM, THEN YOUR STUPID TOO! then that's just wrong. =P

And don't worry about how long your one-shot is, I guess.

Sorry for the disjointed answer. I got really distracted.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • First off, when it comes to insulting canon characters, frankly, I wouldn't be too worried. Keep the characters in-character, and you'll be doing some of them a favor. In other words, as long as you're in-character with their responses, it should be enjoyable enough to them.

Second, with the length, fifty pages is a bit ambitious, but tell the story until it's done. We'll probably read it either way. Just make sure you don't end up bored with what you're doing. The moment you lose interest, you put yourself at risk of losing the story.

Third, with the content, to be honest, don't worry about it. Write the story, put in a proper warning if necessary, and it'll find an appropriate audience who'll enjoy it. Besides, trust me. There's been worse in this fandom.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • Also, how badly are we getting into insulted characters? I mean, if you sit there and realistic show the characters screwing up because they are under the influence, then it's not horrible. However, if you just sit there and go LOOK HOW STUPID ASH IS BEING BECAUSE HE'S SO STUPID AND AN IDIOT. HE DESERVES TO DIE!!!!1!!1! HOW CAN ANYONE LIKE HIM!? IF YOU LIKE HIM, THEN YOUR STUPID TOO! then that's just wrong. =P
    Well, I obviously wouldn't do that. However, I've seen people be yelled at over the littlest things such as insinuating that May would actually swear in the series (which she actually did once). I just don't want to insult any fans, but the fact is if someone is under the influence of marijuana or alcohol or any other drug for that matter, they are going to do stupid stuff.

So, I guess the fans will just have to deal with it. After all, if you don't like it... don't read it.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Well, I obviously wouldn't do that. However, I've seen people be yelled at over the littlest things such as insinuating that May would actually swear in the series (which she actually did once).

She might in the Japanese version, but in the English version (of the anime), certainly not (because of strict censorship codes). It's likely that your audience is more familiar with the English version, and because you used her English name, you led them to believe you're talking about dub!May, not Haruka. At which point, yeah, it'd be out of character for her.

Likewise, she only does it once (from what you say), which means she probably doesn't make a habit of it. Hence, it'd end up being OOC that way too.

In other words, you'll need to take a close look at the version you're working with, and unfortunately, the dub tends to differ now and then as to how characters are actually portrayed. (Same thing with the anime and the various manga.)

I just don't want to insult any fans, but the fact is if someone is under the influence of marijuana or alcohol or any other drug for that matter, they are going to do stupid stuff.

True, but the question lies in whether or not the character would actually do drugs such as marijuana if it was offered to them. For example, Ash probably wouldn't if it was offered straight out, but if he was offered a hash brownie, chances are, he's too stupid to know what that is. Brock might know, however.

Likewise, you'll want to do heavy research into what brand of stupid each drug actually produces. For example, a glass of wine, despite what the cartoonists want you to believe, will not make you into a slurring, teetering moron unless you have ridiculously low tolerance to alcohol. An entire bottle by yourself might, but it still depends on the wine, the person, how fast that person consumes said bottle, and whether or not anything else is consumed with it. (For example, a friend of mine went through an entire bottle of red wine in a six-hour sitting and was still able to walk straighter than the rest of us by the end of it.)

If you want details on various drugs, Erowid has a lot more information than the D.A.R.E. program has probably ever offered. If you're going for marijuana in particular, try this page. And yes, the site also includes detailed accounts from people who have tried it (and more).

Good luck.

Edit: And, uh, don't try that stuff at home. Especially the drink-an-entire-bottle-of-red-wine-in-a-six-hour-sitting thing. I can tell you about my other friend who only drank four sixteen-ounce bottles of 5%-proof liquor and ended up faceplanting herself into a wall on her way out. I don't know how that happened either.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • She might in the Japanese version, but in the English version (of the anime), certainly not (because of strict censorship codes). It's likely that your audience is more familiar with the English version, and because you used her English name, you led them to believe you're talking about dub!May, not Haruka. At which point, yeah, it'd be out of character for her.

Likewise, she only does it once (from what you say), which means she probably doesn't make a habit of it. Hence, it'd end up being OOC that way too.

Actually, it was in the dub. However, it was so random I really think it was a voice actor error. It's in the episode "New Plot, Old Lot". I remember it because, using my DVR, the moment I heard her say "What the Hell", I replayed those few seconds like 12 times to make sure I wasn't going crazy. Then again, stuff like that happens now and again with children's shows. Especially with dubbed anime, but I digress.

As you say, I'll probably have to really research what happens to people when they use drugs and stuff like that.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Actually, it was in the dub. However, it was so random I really think it was a voice actor error. It's in the episode "New Plot, Old Lot". I remember it because, using my DVR, the moment I heard her say "What the Hell", I replayed those few seconds like 12 times to make sure I wasn't going crazy. Then again, stuff like that happens now and again with children's shows. Especially with dubbed anime, but I digress.

It's most likely a dubber error, not actual characterization. I don't recall any other time in the dub where she or any other character swears. Make sexual innuendo after sexual innuendo, that's one thing, but outright swearing isn't something you hear often or at all.

When in the episode did that happen, by the way?

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • It's most likely a dubber error, not actual characterization. I don't recall any other time in the dub where she or any other character swears. Make sexual innuendo after sexual innuendo, that's one thing, but outright swearing isn't something you hear often or at all.

When in the episode did that happen, by the way?

its either about half way through or at the very end. Her combusken had just used fire spin in her presentation at the contest and it got caught on Harley's ariados's string shot (harley was trying to make her lose). may falls down and looks up. as she sees the flame strt to crawl up the air (she doesnt know theres a string shot) she says "What the Hell." but ya ive always suspected it to be a dubber error because its just so random. although she was freakin out earlier that this was her last chance to get into teh GF.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • its either about half way through or at the very end. Her combusken had just used fire spin in her presentation at the contest and it got caught on Harley's ariados's string shot (harley was trying to make her lose). may falls down and looks up. as she sees the flame strt to crawl up the air (she doesnt know theres a string shot) she says "What the Hell." but ya ive always suspected it to be a dubber error because its just so random. although she was freakin out earlier that this was her last chance to get into teh GF.

I just watched that part a couple of times (with headphones and volume up). She's not saying, "What the hell?" She's saying, "But h-how?" It sounds similar simply because there's a lot of noise going on at the same time, and on top of that, she stammers. (It ends up making sense because she doesn't understand how her own Pokémon has suddenly gained the power to manipulate its Fire Spin.)

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • I just watched that part a couple of times (with headphones and volume up). She's not saying, "What the hell?" She's saying, "But h-how?" It sounds similar simply because there's a lot of noise going on at the same time, and on top of that, she stammers. (It ends up making sense because she doesn't understand how her own Pokémon has suddenly gained the power to manipulate its Fire Spin.)

AHHHH that makes sense. I'm gonna go back and listen a few times but I've been known to mistake wat I hear. the world makes sense again.

Back