• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Original] Complexity's Fear Factor

Clebby

Antidisestablishmentarian
Years
  • So I've been working on a novel for about a week, and I finally got the introduction finished for it. This is an ongoing series, so I'll be posting more here as I get more done.

~~~~~

COMPLEXITY'S FEAR FACTOR ~ PART 1: DELIVERING THE DAMNED

Introduction: Awakening (Strong Language - Mild Violence)

"Hey, wake up you little ♥♥♥♥♥!"

The faint sound wasn't something I was used to hearing, although it rang through my head as if I knew the phrase with certainty. I opened my eyes to a surreal landscape -- one in which would have been impossible to achieve by man, even with technological advantages. I never realized that I had already been standing -- despite being asleep -- but I noticed that there was an unnecessary amount of commotion behind me. While I continued in my gaze toward the scenery that was laid out before me, an urge to turn around plagued my entire well being. A minute passed. One minute turned into five, and five minutes turned into twenty. No matter how much of a potential distraction there was, it didn't once stop me from keeping my view instilled in my head.

Another minute passed, and it once again evolved into a much longer time. After another ten minutes, I had finally succumbed to the commotion that was such a detriment to my own self. I had seen nothing but the innumerable presence that stood before me; an enormous tower -- too high to see the top -- ironically towered over me. I looked down to where the horizon would be, but it was occupied completely by people that I had never seen in my life. For a moment, I thought I was drunk -- or even stoned, for that matter -- until I heard a voice in front of me -- on in which I didn't notice the person in front of me, but I recognized the voice well.

"James...? What are you doing here?" It took me another second to finally notice that somebody was right in front of me, and to my surprise, it was somebody I knew only too well.

"...Eddie? What are you doing here...and what's with all these damn people?" It was clear to me that my questioning would have gotten me nowhere, but I still figured that it was worth it to ask. Eddie had been my best friend since we were born -- not to mention that we were born on the same day, and sixteen years later, our friendship still held strong. Everything we did was done as a duo; it was no surprise to me that he showed up in front of me so easily. However, I still didn't understand what I heard right before I woke up. It wasn't Eddie's voice, and it wasn't a voice that I've ever heard before.

Despite our knowledge that there were more people here other than us, we still managed to have somebody eavesdrop on our conversation. The woman that intercepted the conversation we had -- although it was a fairly short conversation -- seemed vaguely familiar to me, but I couldn't think of how she was familiar. Eddie, on the other hand, was completely clueless as to who the lady was. Either way, he seemed just as angered as I was at her for entering the conversation without warning.

"Ha, if you don't know where you are now, then you'll be sure to die soon enough. Learn your origin, and then you can ponder." The enigma in the woman was enough to make Eddie look more clueless than he actually was. We both stared at her for a few seconds, until she gave us an awkward look that caused us both to look away for a brief moment. Soon after that, Eddie looked back at her and began to exchange conversation, though he seemed reluctant to do so.

"So what if we die? We don't have to listen to you, especially after you broke into our conversation like nobody's business." Eddie's retaliation did little to nothing to phase the woman, but it seemed to do more to anger her instead. We noticed that the opposite of what just happened was occurring; the woman had continued to stare at Eddie, until she finally came out with a response.

"You don't realize what this place is, do you? Once again, you're completely ♥♥♥♥ed if you don't figure it out soon." The woman saying that only seemed to bring a blistering anger out of Eddie -- I had known him for long enough to know that this was coming -- but to my surprise, he acted a lot differently than I thought he would act. What may have been an infinite rage from my perspective had turned into a calm and collected personality from Eddie.

"If we're screwed just because we don't know where we are, then why don't you tell us? Surely you'd know where we all are if you're complaining about this so damn much." After he had finished speaking, I realized the flamboyance in his personality; it seemed irregular that he was a lot more collected than before, but it was nothing I was going to complain about at the time. The woman stood there, obviously puzzled by something. A minute passed, but the amount of time waiting was something I was beginning to get used to. Another minute passed, and the commotion among the crowd behind the woman suddenly roared to an ear bursting level, and for no apparent reason. Even the woman was a bit startled by the sudden roar, but she seemed to contain herself much quicker than both Eddie and myself.

"Don't worry about it; I'd presume that this happens more often than not. Surely you can excuse it when there are at least trillions of people here." The intensity of her voice increased as she kept talking, and it was apparent to both of us. "Don't expect there to be a small amount of people when there are trillions here. It's clear that the commotion is much more than what a couple thousand people could ever create. As for where we are...nobody knows. We only know our place of origin, but that place is long gone now."

"A place of origin? You mean that people have been born here? Are you stoned or something? I don't think anybody would want to give birth in such a crowded place like this." Despite Eddie's constant questioning, the woman managed to give a swift answer.

"First off, you'd be surprised with what people can do here. Secondly, we were not born on this world, but somewhere else. Nobody is sure where, but we know that we are not directly from this place. We don't know where we come from or why we are here, but we know for a fact that we are not the only intelligent species that exists." It was clear to me that the response had caught Eddie off guard; in fact, I had the same feeling from the detailed, yet vague response. I couldn't do anything but stare at Eddie in anticipation for another exchange of words. Instead, the woman began to talk yet again, knowing that Eddie wouldn't be able to come up with an intelligent response.

"I have yet to introduce myself to you two. It is likely that neither of you have heard of me at all, but my name is Khi Ilos. I've not been here for very long...but then again, neither has anyone else here. We haven't seen anything for a long time, and coming here without warning is a much different experience for us." I almost groaned when I heard what she said; she seemed like a person that would act stupid for pity, but a sense of enigmatic glare completely negated the thought. What I didn't immediately realize was that Eddie had already applied the thought aloud, but it didn't phase me when I finally did notice. I hadn't been in the conversation this whole time, and after the woman...Khi...had made the comment, I had already turned back to the landscape that I woke up to.

A feeling of paradise was sensationally unnerving, but it seemed like a good thing, rather than something I would cringe to. I eventually felt completely numb. Yet again, I was sucked into time with the landscape, and it took about an hour for me to finally break free of it's heavenly gaze. Yet again, I could feel time fly by, and nothing could stop the sight of true beauty. At least, until I felt myself being tackled to the ground.

I practically fell face to the floor, though it was a good thing that I didn't; after a quick observation, the floor appeared to be made completely out of metal, which was a different sight for me. I turned around and looked to the skies, only to find that Khi was the one who had tackled me. I looked around a bit and noticed that Eddie was a bystander of the conflict -- he completely avoided intervention, even though I was already in pain.

"Don't bother going in there. It's obvious that you won't come back if you do." A scolding was the last thing I expected after being awake for such a short time, but I knew she was right. The only thing I realized was that I hadn't even noticed that I began to walk onto the lush grass from the cold metal floor. She pulled me up with tremendous force, and I barely had any time to stand up, even if she pulled me above where I could have stood on my own. I had almost fallen again after she had let go of me, but I managed to maintain my balance with abnormal ease. I looked back at the crowd, and a single raven began to hover around in the sky. I had never seen one in person, but it was conspicuously distinguishable by its foreboding emanation of death. I didn't understand where the raven came from when there was no possible way for it to find refuge, adding to a sudden feeling of helplessness that lurked in the back of my head.

Looking back to the crowd, I had realized that a part of the crowd had irregularly subsided from the rest, causing a narrow pathway to form between two groups of people. I didn't want to take the risk of going through the path -- the idea of the crowd merging back together was a frightening thought for me -- but I was curious as to what was on the other side. There seemed to be no end to the amount of people -- they stretched on to the horizon, and likely beyond that. A glance at Khi led me to believe that it was a different happening than usual; her facial expression showed both confusion and fear at the same time. The only worry I had was that it was going to be a bad occurrence. However, after looking at the crowd for a couple seconds, it appeared that they were not cowering in fear, but staring in awe at...something...I wasn't entirely sure what it was at first, but looking through the pathway blazed by the gap, it became clear to me what was on the other side.

A door stood before us, but not to the tower.

Back