• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Weather Trio

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, our mascots Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza, respectively, commonly known as the Weather Trio.

Groudon is primarily a ground-type, and is able to control sun; as soon as this Pokémon is out on the field, it could summon sunlight. Kyogre water, and similarly to Groudon, as ability to handle a certain weather condition—rain. Third member of this group is Rayquaza, which is a combination of dragon and flying. This one could control wind, as well as negate effects of sun and rain.

What are our overall thoughts on Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza; do we like this trio? If we do, which member would we say is our most favorite, and why? Which one do we find ourselves disliking? If we were up to us, how would we go about changing this particular Pokémon to make it better?

Years
  • I dislike Rayquaza because of how overpowered it is and it's design isn't very appealing in my eyes. Kyogre is my favourite of the 3. I believe that it's the most aesthetically pleasing and I prefer it's ability and typing over Groudon. I mean, I like Groudon, too, but not as much as Kyogre. Looking at their Primal forms, they both look pretty badass, but Kyogre is just sublime, I think they could have hardly done a better job with that. Primal Groudon isn't anything too special, in terms of design, compared to it's original, they've just changed the black markings on it's body to radiating light (or whatever it is).

Years
  • Out of the three, I absolutely love Rayquaza. I love the trio as a whole and my least favourite member is probably Groudon, there's no particular reason for this I just didn't take to it. I adore Rayquaza's mega evolution form, I think they got it pretty much spot on whereas I'm not really keen on the Primal forms of the other two.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
    Years
  • This one's a no-brainer: Rayquaza, of course. Air Lock was an awesome ability, and he looked really cool. Now, if this were down to only Kyogre and Groudon, it'd be kinda hard to pick one or the other. Most likely, I'd have to go with Kyogre. Was much more helpful for my team at the time, since it had Rain Dance (boost for Swampert and friends), and not to mention, Sheer Cold. Highly inaccurate, but more useful than Fissure since Flying and Levitating Pokemon aren't affected.

Altogether, however, they will remain my most favorite trio. The glowing brands on them were exceptionally creative...

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015
    This is my favorite trio actually, and I think that Kyogre is very cool, and the coolest of the three.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Rayquaza got the fanboy design, but I prefer Kyorge over them all. It's about as close to a mythical whale as we're ever going to get and for that it's so cool! Something about it actually felt mythical too. I guess because it lives in the sea I imagine it as graceful whereas Groudon and Rayquaza were just in your face.

Years
  • I have never actually used any of the three members of the Weather Trio. I like the lore that the legendary pokemon bring into the games, but each time it worries me a little more that they will use up all the elemental lore possibilities and have no more room to write new legendary pokemon in. As far as their designs go, I like this trio a lot. I do not at all care for the look of the legendary dogs, Suicine being the least whacky looking. I think the legendary dogs look like really bad pinatas.

Years
  • I kinda like the badassery of all three, but Kyogre is my true fave because I love Water-types and rain made it such a beast in the 5th Gen competitive scene, sparking what was known as the "weather war". I also love how it's the most beautiful one of the trio as well.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • To be honest, I love all 3. They have been my favorite ever since I first played the games. xD I prefer Rayquaza over the others. It looks really cool and is one of my favorite types. Kyogre comes to a close second. I found myself using it more than usual lately.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • I kinda like the badassery of all three, but Kyogre is my true fave because I love Water-types and rain made it such a beast in the 5th Gen competitive scene, sparking what was known as the "weather war". I also love how it's the most beautiful one of the trio as well.

Actually Politoed and Ninetales in OU were responsible for sparking weather wars, since weather-based teams in Ubers were never that effective.

My favourite is Groudon because he created continents and is pretty much the king of the uberz metagame.

JVS

The very best.
    Years
  • I don't like Kyogre, never have, never will. He just looks so brainless, I dunno. Rayquaza is goddish and Groudon is awesome. My favourite is the lord of the skies, and Groudon is my second favourite, then comes KyOgre. And yes, I like the ruby version best.

Ganelon

The British Jedi
    Years
  • Honestly I'm not a fan of any of the 3rd gen mascots, which is odd because Emerald is my favourite Pokemon game. I just don't think their designs are that cool.

When Rayquaza comes to stop the fight, it's a truly epic moment that I love. But for legendary pokemon? My favourites are the Legendary Birds, Lugia, and Mew.

Years
  • As i've mentioned before, Groudon is still my favorite of the three. Its land titan concept has always struck me as really cool, and while I do like Kyogre as well I still prefer its red counterpart. Rayquaza I also like since it can use both its attack stats very effectively and use a different variety of sets, even if its Mega Evolution got the boot from competitive.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Mmmmm... I'm leaning towards Kyogre myself.

125px-Archie_Kyogre_Adventures.png

Mainly because I really love how useful it's Drizzle ability is, because before 5th gen, the rain used to be everlasting, and so that paved the way for Rain Dance teams to be godlike during battle, haha. Plus put on a Choice Scarf on it, and you have yourself a really decent revenge killer with Water Spout, Thunder, Ice Beam, and maybe Surf in case Kyogre gets a little slow! Plus, yeah, I love it's overall blue design; it's sooooo cool~ :3

Not to say Groudon and Rayquaza aren't amazing either; Groudon is a really great Drought pivot that can utilize Stealth Rock, and maybe have moves like Thunder Wave for utility! Plus it has that whole big n' mean stick, which is awesome. Rayquaza, yeah, I love it because it's Air Lock screws over weather teams in general, and it's a really fearsome user of Dragon Dance, or a Choice Band user!

Years
  • I find these guys to be the most impactful mascot legendaries to date. :) Their involvement in the story gave me goosebumps, especially Kyogre and the thunderstorm scene that went with it towards the end of Sapphire. They really did feel threatening and truly gave off that "legendary" vibe.. more so than most other legends we've been presented with so far.

Kyogre was a lot of fun to use with Drizzle + Thunder way back in the third gen days and I had heaps of fun watching my friend battle mine in the secret bases and losing, lool.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I love the trio, particularly Kyogre. Even though Kyogre doesn't have a super amazing design (it's just a big fish...) there's just something about it that I love. I really like Drizzle and Drought as abilities, too. I've never been a big fan of Groudon, though.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I don't really like the use of legendary Pokémon a lot in game, because they're overpowered and that's not really fun. Still, I do like this trio storywise. This one is probably the one with the most plot and lore around it. This helps the roleplaying atmosphere a lot.

C4RN4X

Carnage Games
    Years
  • Rayquaza is obviously the most powerful. You can catch it before beating the Elite Four for the first time, and dominate everyone using outrage.
    However, my favorite is Groudon because of its Dinosaur type look. Its colors are my favorite (red and black) and its Primal form is even cooler. Even though Kyogre has a major type advantage, Groudon is just way cooler.

They're all banned from competition so its all good :)

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Ah the trio of teh suck. The legends that make no sense game wise. Kyogre and Groudon battle for a long time before Rayqueefa comes down to stop the fight. Kyogre has type advantage over Groudon, and now that Mega Groudon (Beta, Alpha, Prime Number, whatever the hell they're called) is Ground/Fire this is even more apparent. Can't have an endless battle when one is superior over the other. That said I've enjoyed the Regi Trio despite how bad they are more than the weather trio. If I ever do get the new games, I'm so going to kill them and not bothering to capture them as I hate them that much. And if you want to defend the Rayquaza (such a dumb name) consider this: Rayquaza is wearing perma-lipstick.

TL;DR No.

Last edited:
    Back