• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Pokemon History

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Just thought i share this lil bit of story to Pokemon fans, especially those who were around the time of Gen 1 and 2. I had a rough childhood growing up. Me and my mom always struggled to make ends meet.

It was around that time that I discovered Pokemon. It was everywhere: in the commercials, the toys were selling like hotcakes, the chubby Pikachu, Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle were advertised all over. But most importantly, the game was advertised on TV.

Unfortunately i was around 2nd or 3rd grade. I didn't have a Gameboy and my mom obviously couldn't get me everything i wanted. One time when my single mom brought me to the park, she suddenly ran towards me and found a gameboy with Pokemon blue version in it. It was crazy....my first chance to play Pokemon suddenly falls on my hands and my heart is beating fast like a silly girl. But then an older teen comes and then he says he lost his Gameboy.

Now, i had it in my pocket and i had every opportunity to say "sorry, i never saw it" but i gave it back to him because the guilt would be too much (but i verified it was his so i don't look like an idiot giving away the gameboy to the wrong person). But obviously it stung a bit....i didn't blame my mom at all, and it looked like she took it harder than me. Luckily i forgot about it the next day but i don't think my mom did. A year later my mom buys me a gameboy color, and as an additional present, she got me Pokemon Silver. Now most kids would probably think that Gold was better just by the name at the time, but my mom knew i liked Silver as my personal preference.

When i started to play Silver, i was amazed by the game. Each time i played, i saw a new pokemon that i just had to get. It felt entirely different from the Anime series because i get to capture them and nickname them. They were all mine. And considering the anime was a little behind in the US, i was able to see Pokemon i haven't seen in the anime yet. It was so much fun. I had a friend who had Red, but when i started to play Red, i was glad it wasn't my first Pokemon experience because the sprites looked ugly, and the design just was too lacking for me. I can understand a scaled down version of Silver, but the Pokedex just really looked ugly to me compared to Silver's.

One of the things i wanted to do though was share the experience, so i really wanted to play with my mom since she was the one who gave me such an amazing present. This time my mom was a little better than before, so i managed to convince her to buy a Gameboy color, Pokemon Gold version, and a link cable to play together (she didn't get all of them at once). I bet my mom was just doing it just for me, but when she started to play, she started to love it as well. She asked me so many questions, like which Pokemon evolved and which didn't. It was a great bond. Another thing we didn't know about Pokemon was that there was some Pokemon that couldn't be found without trading them to the other game. So we felt even closer. I was even forgetting about the anime series because we were so wrapped up in the game.

I know it sounds cheesy, but Pokemon Gold/Silver really helped me and my mom through some rough times in my early childhood. And if i'm going to be honest, i get a little teary-eyed when i think back. When my Mom and I thought we finally completed our Pokedex (we didn't know about the Unown Dex at the time) Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire were announced.

The "third" generation of Pokemon and me and my mom were excited. But, money was an issue and we were so content with our Gameboy colors. We decided to play a previous Pokemon games we didn't get to play before. Luckily they were cheaper than before. We ended up getting a bargain for a lot. One of them was Pokemon Crystal....which both me and my mom took turns and LOVED IT even more than Gold/Silver.

After the gameboy color pokemon marathon (lol), me and my mom were able to get two GBA's and a link cable but no Pokemon. We were still working on it until a few friends lend them to me since they already beat the games. And lucky us, they were Sapphire and Ruby. This experience felt more nostalgic than a whole new experience. The more we played Sapphire/Ruby the more it reminded us of Gold/Silver. The one thing both me and my mom missed was the day/night feature. But it was still enjoyable. This time both my mom and myself had a few questions as to which pokemon evolved. We learned as we played. Ruby/Sapphire isn't as special as Gold/Silver was as obvious reasons, but it was still a journey to play the games. One of the things that was new was which team was better. I chose aqua, my mom chose magma. But one of our earlier discussions was also how much we missed team rocket. We also had a chance to play Leafgreen. It was good that it was close to the original though.

It was sometime that passed and we got ourselves Nintendo DS ahead of time (this time no link cable!). So when we got Diamond and Pearl, we were already prepared. We also didn't care about the Pokedex anymore as each generation we feel more and more overwhelmed. The game was good, it brought back the day/night feature. But the nostalgia didn't hit as hard and the features just weren't "amazing"....it wasn't bad though, me and my mom still had loads to talk about. We both managed to choose the same starter Pokemon on this one Pulpip, but Turtwig has always been a close second for both of us.

And then...HeartGold and SoulSilver.....boy did me and my mom got crazy for this game. We played it and beat it. Completing the Pokedex was easier, and the Kanto region had more content....But one important thing that affected me....the game kind of tarnished the old memories a bit....i remember playing the GBC version, and i see the design and how much was left to imagination. But playing SoulSilver left little to the imagination, it also left little to the original design. it was still enough to say it was a remake, but i always felt remakes were designed for those who didn't get a chance to play the original. Also added a lot more story that wasn't there that for me, didn't care for it.

This is when me and my mom stopped playing new Pokemon games. With Mystery Dungeon, Conquest and all this other stuff, we tried to salvage the old memories....and it was a good decision.....when Pokemon Black and White came out, we looked at the starter Pokemon and didn't get excited. And when they made a sequel, that's when me and my more were disappointed in the Pokemon series. Pokemon X and Y felt like it was going back to the original...the mega evolution of the starter pokemon looked beautiful....Venosaur, Charizard, and Blastoise had beautiful mega evolutions....but then i see the other Pokemon and that's where i see their near the bottom of the barrel. Overall, this is my history. Pokemon didn't end in a bang, but me and my mom are still fans of Gen 1 through 4.

One of the greatest things though is that through ROMs we've been able to play Pokemon on our smartphones and play some that we never got to play such as Pokemon Pinball or Pokemon TCG2 that was just recently translated. GSC will forever be our favorites...it has the right balance of retro design and imagination that never gets old.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Recently my mom had someone make me a winter hat with pikachu face. just thought i'd give an update :)

Years
  • Recently my mom had someone make me a winter hat with pikachu face. just thought i'd give an update :)
    Normally we ask that you don't bump threads (even your own) if they haven't been posted in for 30 days, but I'll let this one slide, so others can read your story. I hope you enjoy your new hat!

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    thanks. and if it could possibly be merged to a more relevant thread, that would be fine too.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Good lord your mom was the best. I wish more parents played video games with their kids like that. My parents never really played directly with me or my brother but often they'd play a video game and we'd watch them play, and then they'd set the Sega Genesis up and I'd mop the floor with my little brother. Good times man. Nowadays they just get the game and make us play and they sit by the sidelines and watch.

Nowadays it's 10 year olds playing games meant for people a decade older than them, with the parents neither knowing or caring. What happened?

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    My friends parents also played pokemon, they played pokemon red and gold. (didnt go further)
    The only game my parents played was tetris...

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Good lord your mom was the best. I wish more parents played video games with their kids like that. My parents never really played directly with me or my brother but often they'd play a video game and we'd watch them play, and then they'd set the Sega Genesis up and I'd mop the floor with my little brother. Good times man. Nowadays they just get the game and make us play and they sit by the sidelines and watch.
    I think my mom is the best too. Me and my mom have been mostly behind on the consoles and my mom has had a particular interest in handhelds more than home consoles, which is why she got bored playing games on the big screen. Also, i think my mom was doing it for me more than herself. Pokemon was a game designed to trade Pokemon between other players. You can't catch them all without having friends to trade with. And as sad as it sounds, i didn't have many friends yet when i got my first Pokemon game.

keep in mind, my mom didn't play games with me all the time, only when it came to Pokemon.
    Nowadays it's 10 year olds playing games meant for people a decade older than them, with the parents neither knowing or caring. What happened?
    It also bothers me how 10 year olds have quick access to games meant to be for more mature adults. But when i look back, younger kids have always found ways to play more mature games. I remember a lot of kids have had Mortal Kombat despite the rating for it. Then again, i see my niece and nephews have only nintendo-based games and have no interest in ever playing Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed. I think its an internet thing, more kids who play those mature games are more active on the internet.

My friends parents also played pokemon, they played pokemon red and gold. (didnt go further)
    The only game my parents played was tetris...
    I don't blame them...

Years
  • Great story! Reading it kinda made me miss my mom. I had fong kong 8 bit console when my dad was in hospital. We'd play tetris and super mario 3 alot. Later after he died, she got me a mega drive and sonic 3. We had lots of fun playing it and columbs. It was awsome.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Great story! Reading it kinda made me miss my mom. I had fong kong 8 bit console when my dad was in hospital. We'd play tetris and super mario 3 alot. Later after he died, she got me a mega drive and sonic 3. We had lots of fun playing it and columbs. It was awsome.

Thats also heart warming. never heard of that particular console. but yeah, its nice to have parents to help us out when we really need it. i've never played sonic 3 before, so i'll have to take a look at it.

Years
  • Thats also heart warming. never heard of that particular console. but yeah, its nice to have parents to help us out when we really need it. i've never played sonic 3 before, so i'll have to take a look at it.

To be honest I never really thought about it til I read your story. I think thats one of the reasons I love playing games so much. It never ceases to amaze me how a simple videogame can help people through tough times. Sonic 3 is a good game, but I've never managed to finish it..

BatsyDarling

*✶вαтѕуdαяℓing ✶*
    Years
  • Your mom sounds so adorable, reading this made me feel nostalgic, it made me remember that time my mom broke my gameboy because I threw a temper tantrum over not being able to find my Emerald version lol.

Miracle Seed

Serpentine trainer
    Years
  • My first introduction to Pokémon wasn't the game. It was the card game. My friends at school had so many cards in a huge binder and where always trading one another. I didn't have any cards at the moment, but they were nice enough to give me an Ekans, Jungle Pikachu, and the Butterfree evolution line. I looked over the cards and asked my parents if I could actually get some. We went to a toy store and there was a buttload of pokemon stuff everywhere. I already had a brick Gameboy, so I wound up getting pokemon Blue and the TCG as well as actual cards.

I spent a lot of my time trading cards and battling through link cables throughout the months. Then I came across the Anime and was instantly hooked. When G/S/C came out, I had gotten Gold and a Purple GBCOLOR for christmas. You couldn't tear me away from those games. I kind of fell out of the Card Game stuff after Team Rocket Returns, only to pick it back up in High School when people i knew where still into it. I still have all of my games, that's one thing I'm proud to have and to be current on

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I would have loved to have someone that close to to play with. ;_;
    The best I have is my sister, and she didn't have a game when I got Sapphire, it took about a year or so to get FireRed, then she got Ruby as well, and we have Black(her) and White(me). We both have OrAs but only one 3ds so we can't play unless we mooch off a friend for their 3/2ds....
    My brother likes to race me in Pokemon games to beat them but he tends to get bored after a while. We had a Crystal race and the best results we have are:
    Me-Cerulean
    Sis-Suicune
    Bro-Goldenrod
    IF SOMEONE WANTS TO RACE ME IN A GB/C/A GAME COULD YOU PLEASE VM ME
    Now is not the time for that.

None of my friends can play with me a lot, they only have like a 2ds in one's case and a 3ds and some dsi's and don't have emulators....
    My parents arenmt interested at all in video games other than Mario stuff and some Wii games. ;_;

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    My first introduction to Pokémon wasn't the game. It was the card game. My friends at school had so many cards in a huge binder and where always trading one another. I didn't have any cards at the moment, but they were nice enough to give me an Ekans, Jungle Pikachu, and the Butterfree evolution line. I looked over the cards and asked my parents if I could actually get some. We went to a toy store and there was a buttload of pokemon stuff everywhere. I already had a brick Gameboy, so I wound up getting pokemon Blue and the TCG as well as actual cards.

I spent a lot of my time trading cards and battling through link cables throughout the months. Then I came across the Anime and was instantly hooked. When G/S/C came out, I had gotten Gold and a Purple GBCOLOR for christmas. You couldn't tear me away from those games. I kind of fell out of the Card Game stuff after Team Rocket Returns, only to pick it back up in High School when people i knew where still into it. I still have all of my games, that's one thing I'm proud to have and to be current on
    Jungle pikachu was always one of my first cards :)
    I kept a bout of my first cards in my wallet in a credit card pocket, and I lost said wallet :(.
    I bought more card there were quite hard to get in my village , quite erratic.really. I got lots of cards from a flea market for 2 euro and more jap cards for 1 euro at the jap school flea market. I found out there was a place not that far from home (could ride my bike there about 5ish km)which had the official league going on there, and they handed out all the cool promo cards at the end of the day O.O. I also traded a lot of cards there, one guy traded like ten cards of varying rarity for my 3 star celebi.
    School took over unfortunately and the place doesnt exist anymore.(literally pulled down)

Back