• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding New Moves and Creating New Move Effects

Years
  • Would it be possible to add more than 256 move effects? I was thinking of using one of the unused bytes in the move data to specify the move effect. As there are many move effects, certainly more than 256. While this is tedious, the only other viable method would be to make combine certain effects (e.g. Skill Swap and Entrainment, or Worry Seed and Magnet Rise), then determine the effect through setting an unused byte.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
    Years
  • Would it be possible to add more than 256 move effects? I was thinking of using one of the unused bytes in the move data to specify the move effect. As there are many move effects, certainly more than 256. While this is tedious, the only other viable method would be to make combine certain effects (e.g. Skill Swap and Entrainment, or Worry Seed and Magnet Rise), then determine the effect through setting an unused byte.

It is theoretically possible, but would require way more work. Because the Effect byte is followed by other bytes you'd have to change how every individual aspect of the move that comes after the effect as well as the effect itself.

The method I've been using is combining move effects. The only other thing is handling some moves exclusively through ASM, for example Freeze Dry's unique effect is handled elsewhere, meaning it can focus on Freeze change, whereas Flying Press could just use Effect 0.

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    Would it be possible to add more than 256 move effects? I was thinking of using one of the unused bytes in the move data to specify the move effect. As there are many move effects, certainly more than 256. While this is tedious, the only other viable method would be to make combine certain effects (e.g. Skill Swap and Entrainment, or Worry Seed and Magnet Rise), then determine the effect through setting an unused byte.

256 is enough. We can branch inside the battle script, create new ASM, as DollSteak mentioned. + the AI wouldn't recognize the new move effect (or we'd have to edit the AI).

If you still want to create brand new effect there's like 80 available move effect unused : Beetwin 213 and 256 if I remember well, and there's some others unused like 15, 16 , 18 if I remember well too

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2022
    Hi I am new to rom-hacking. I followed every step mentioned but when i join the game and my pokemon attacks with the attack I made the game freezes. It freezes right before the animation happens.

Years
  • I think I already said this before, but, in Step 7, how can you add +4 if the last digit is a letter. Like in 0x71A23C. Do you replace 4 with C or... what?

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
  • I think I already said this before, but, in Step 7, how can you add +4 if the last digit is a letter. Like in 0x71A23C. Do you replace 4 with C or... what?

because it's in hex, you can either convert it to dec then add 4 and convert back to hex. or if you're confident in hex, you can count on 4. so 0x71A23C + 4 would be 0x71A240

Years
  • Wait a second. In Step 13, it says to go back to 0x247094 but didn't we already replace all of those addresses in Step 12? Or did I do what I shouldn't have?

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2015
    could you please tell me how to create the move effect :the attack will be stronger with more speed(so the reverse of gyro ball)

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    Byte 103 is an "empty" slot despite it being used for Quick Attack and Mach Punch.

I'm not sure about that. It's just a supposition but perhaps the AI knows that effect is used for priority move. Also I don't know how the AI handles the priority set in the moves. We should look into it before continuing the discussion on that because with GF nothing is obvious

Years
  • I'm not sure about that. It's just a supposition but perhaps the AI knows that effect is used for priority move. Also I don't know how the AI handles the priority set in the moves. We should look into it before continuing the discussion on that because with GF nothing is obvious

Yeah, GF are doing stuff in really weird ways sometimes. xD I have checked some parts of the priority code long time ago when I was working on Prankster ability, it contains a lot of confusing stuff but I don't recall this effect being involved. BUT, I don't really recall anything; it has been more than a year now ...

tayyab43

The Don
    Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2021
    Guys, does anyone know who created Pokemon move editor? Can we contact them and try and get ask to add an "Insert new Move" button?

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2019
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pawell6 View Post
    I had similar problem (at least with psywave). To fix it:
    1. Make back up of your rom and ini file.
    2. Open your rom wirh hex editor and go to offset: 0x4886E8.
    3. Select block: 4*354=1416 bytes and copy (description attack table).
    4. Use FSF, find 1416 bytes or find your own location (write down that location), select block 1416 and paste. (I pasted my at 0x950000).
    5. Repointing: Go to the begining of file, Edit->Replace...->Find box: E8864808, Replace box: 00009508 (or pointer to your location from step 4) with direction down. Replace all.
    6. Go to 0x950000 select block : 4*157=628 bytes, copy.
    7. Go to end of new table (0x950000, first FF), select block 628 and paste.
    8. Save and exit.
    9. Open your ini file in notebook and go to AttackDescriptionTable for BPRE and change its value from &H4886E8 to &H950000.

I hope it'll fix the problem.

Hello, new here.
    I've done this, but when I want to make a move and edit the description, it changes the original move as well. It does this with all my new moves. I have both PGE and G3T. (and yes, I already made new space for the moves data, animations, and names)

ex. "Pound" description changes from original to what I want my new move to be.

Is there a way to direct the description offset to a blank area or just make the descriptions editable?

Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2023
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pawell6 View Post
    I had similar problem (at least with psywave). To fix it:
    1. Make back up of your rom and ini file.
    2. Open your rom wirh hex editor and go to offset: 0x4886E8.
    3. Select block: 4*354=1416 bytes and copy (description attack table).
    4. Use FSF, find 1416 bytes or find your own location (write down that location), select block 1416 and paste. (I pasted my at 0x950000).
    5. Repointing: Go to the begining of file, Edit->Replace...->Find box: E8864808, Replace box: 00009508 (or pointer to your location from step 4) with direction down. Replace all.
    6. Go to 0x950000 select block : 4*157=628 bytes, copy.
    7. Go to end of new table (0x950000, first FF), select block 628 and paste.
    8. Save and exit.
    9. Open your ini file in notebook and go to AttackDescriptionTable for BPRE and change its value from &H4886E8 to &H950000.

I hope it'll fix the problem.

Hello, new here.
    I've done this, but when I want to make a move and edit the description, it changes the original move as well. It does this with all my new moves. I have both PGE and G3T. (and yes, I already made new space for the moves data, animations, and names)

ex. "Pound" description changes from original to what I want my new move to be.

Is there a way to direct the description offset to a blank area or just make the descriptions editable?

Thanks.

I have figured something out and learned how to solve this problem , things that you need to do to solve this:
    1 Open up g3t and hex.
    2 get your description offset from there.
    3 go to that offset and copy peace of data( to know where that data ends click on next attack and its description offset will be the end of of previous attack)
    4 paste that data in free space and repoint in g3t
    that guide above is only to fix pge not to actually add the descriptions to new attacks

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2019
    I have figured something out and learned how to solve this problem , things that you need to do to solve this:
    1 Open up g3t and hex.
    2 get your description offset from there.
    3 go to that offset and copy peace of data( to know where that data ends click on next attack and its description offset will be the end of of previous attack)
    4 paste that data in free space and repoint in g3t
    that guide above is only to fix pge not to actually add the descriptions to new attacks

AH! Thank you very much. This will help me so much. :)

Back