• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] How to get started with posting an open-source project?

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    I have a rough Flash-based (Actionscript 3) project I've been working on for a little while and I'd like to have it posted to the public where anyone can contribute to it, and someone else can take it over when I go back to college. I am very flexible with what this would eventually become (as long as the result is quality) and there is plenty of room for others to contribute to it.

What I have already: All Pokemon sprites (animated) from generation 1 - 5, all Pokemon names from generation 1 -6, all Pokemon cries, move data, exp per level, exp rates, the level each Pokemon learns each move, WIP battle engine, WIP map editor, and more things that are incomplete.

I am leaning towards using GitHub, but I don't know where I would actually find contributors. As of yet, most of my code is not modified for readability and my interfaces are rough, but I would be inclined to change that if I knew I actually had contributors. If the lack of having Flash is a barrier, I could probably modify it to work in FlashDevelop, which is free.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing, have any input, or have interest in contributing to this? Thanks.

(If you don't have Skype, or don't have an account on this forum, shoot me an email at [email protected])

EDIT: The attached screenshots are of the WIP battle scene that doesn't go much further than shown, and the WIP map editor. Also, if it may spark any interest to mention, I am currently working on a map editor feature that converts images of Pokemon maps (and entire regions), like the ones on vgmaps.com, to tiled maps usable in the Flash engine.

Last edited:
    Back