• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

d4rk's fake card gallery

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
Years
Hey guys,

I've seen magnificient fake card work made by KKN and -spoilers- mine is not as technical and realistic like his. I'm not even thinking of printing my fake cards...

But heh, why not share with you my favourite ones.

I like creating some effects and some personality to a Pokemon card, so let's play with.

The first one of the series :
118704SulfuraExeng.jpg

Yeah a good Moltres.

I've made it with the excellent PokemonCardMaker website, and I use an illustration whose author is DarkFeather on deviantart. By the way this artwork was found on the huge JiFish's gallery.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Glad you like my fakes! ^^

I would change the Poké-Body to a Poké-Power and give it this effect: "Once during your turn (before your attack), the Defending Pokémon is now Burned. This Poké-Power can't be used if Moltres is affected by a Special Condition."

I noticed that the attacks refer to this card as "Moltres Ex," yet that's not this card's name (it's just a regular Moltres). Pokémon ex/EX didn't exist in the DPPT era anyway (instead, they had Lv.X cards). However, since I don't think the generators have any of these, you'd probably have to make it a regular Moltres, learn to use programs like GIMP or Photoshop, or get creative (see end of post).

I'm not exactly sure how to phrase the first attack, but I think it would go something like this: "This attack does 40 damage times the number of Prize cards taken while Moltres was your Active Pokémon." Also, you've misspelled "Strength."

As for the second attack, you might want to give it a different name. Sky Attack is already an official move in the TCG with the following effect: "Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does nothing." Maybe you could call it "Phoenix Strike" or something.

Weakness/Resistance need to have modifiers (x2, -30, etc.) next to them. Also, in addition to number, the stats bar should include the classification, height, and weight of the Pokémon (in this case, NO. 146 Flame Pokémon HT: 4'03" WT: 132.3 lbs.).

I really dislike this generator. The colors of the blank are washed-out, the symbols are too small/dark, the placement of text is off, and the fonts aren't even close. If you're going to use a generator, for DPPT fakes, I suggest using Nod3's generator here. Unfortunately, Poké-Power/Body support hasn't been added yet. (This doesn't mean you can't make-up your own creative rules, however. Click the spoiler below for a quick mock-up I did based on your card as an example.)

Spoiler:

Last edited:

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
Years
Oh wow I was not expecting a critic from the great KKN!

Man, your level of detail is above 9000 times mine.

I shall learn some stuff so my cards can get really close to the actual standards.

But the issue is I don't know the rules, I can't manage to find the old official TCG rules (i.e. Dark Pokemon or Delta Species Pokemon for example). On the official website there are just the 4-5 least card generations rulebooks.
I know there are some cards that are now banned from tournaments because not the same mind and characteristics. But all that I know is old. My referents are Pokemon Trading Card Game on GBC (good ol' jungle and fossil sets) and some other concept I liked, as said Dark Pokemon (Rocket series) or Delta species (Holon series). I never play TCG. I never bought a single deck or booster by myself.
If you have some useful resource, I'll be glad to borrow it from you!

Actually I'm totally out of these design and blank debates. I take what's available on the generator. I don't really want my cards close to the official ones. I make them so the text is close enough to what text could be given in a card (vocabulary,,...), but the design and the actual TCG standards are not my main preoccupation.

For example you say there's already one attack definition for Sky Attack, I did not even know one named Attack must have the exact same effect in every card of the creation.

I have to say I'm using generators because it's fast. My current lifestyle does not allow me to invest time into learning how to do the perfect design to get close to this or that card collection, and even less time to learn how to perform my own card blanks.

However, I thank you a lot for this critic because you pointed out some mistakes I usually don't want to make (i.e missing weight, misspelled words, wrong sentences) and I'll make my following fake cards thinking you're looking at me. Maybe one day I'll have some time (and also motivation) to perform better things, but for now I'm having fun with novelty surprising effects and all. I doubt my cards would have their spot in a deck, some are overpowered, some others just don't fit the gameplay enough.
Also I like what you did with my card to make it more appealing and creative. Did you have to make a new blank or something? Did you do all with a Gimp Engine?

I was about to post a Krookodile card after someone comments, so I'll make it tonite. And this card is gonna be a bit like my Moltres so I hope it's not that bad ^^

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Haha, I'm not that great. I'm just the only faker who ever posts here anymore... It would definitely be nice to see this section become active again.

If you're mainly familiar with the TCG through the GBC game, maybe you'd have more luck using a classic generator like this one: http://www.pokecard.net/ (though it isn't without issues itself; Pokémon Power color is always black and there are some alignment issues).

I think it's fine to design a fake that looks "fake," but looking fake and looking bad are two different things. In my personal opinion, the Deckromacy templates look terrible. It's a shame that there aren't any generators out there with nicer custom templates (I'd try scripting one myself, but I'm terrible at coding).

As far as I know, attacks of the same name always share the same effects (though wording may differ slightly depending on the era). Whenever I come up with an attack name, I do a quick Google search for "Pokémon card [my attack name]" to make sure it hasn't already been used.

I can definitely understand not having the time to make cards with graphics programs. However, you can actually find font/placement guides for GIMP/Photoshop that only take a little more time to use than generators. They're definitely worth looking into.

Just keep at it and don't get discouraged. Practice makes perfect. I mean, look at one of my very first fakes:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
Years
Oh dear we are in trouble, I kind of understand that DeckRomancer is not your cup of tea at all.

I hope the following dudes will not offend you haha...

-> Krookodile, made yesterday
Spoiler:

-> Machamp, made in 2012 and I'm very proud of its effects :D
Spoiler:

-> Flareon holo, made in 2012 ^^
Spoiler:

Thank you for showing me this Articuno, it sounds good haha, will it be remasterized?

I'll give a try to these font/placement guides.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I see a lot of wording issues, though I understand that English probably isn't your primary language. Have you considered making your cards in French? You can still type the English translations (to the best of your ability) under them. If you still want to make English fakes, feel free to post your spoilers (text fakes) here and I'll check them for proper wording before you actually make the image.

I lean more toward the artistic aspect of fakes, myself. I'm not very good at coming up with interesting effects, nor can I tell whether or not an effect is useful or broken.

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
Years
Ehhh dammit I've already made one other card before your comment. I'll show it anyways.

I used the generator you adviced me. This generator does not like Evolution cards.

And I am indeed French so some of my wordings are wrong, it's a fact. I'll post my French fakes but it's highly possible that it does not fit with the French original texts neither.

Darmanitan (July 2015)
Spoiler:

Camerupt FR (March 2015)
Spoiler:

Back