• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the best way of obtaining holo cards?

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2015
    Hi I am really interested in collecting foil cards. What is the best way of obtaining these cards? I'm looking at 3 choices: random card lots, booster packs, or just buying the cards individually. Which is the best option of obtaining these holos?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hi I am really interested in collecting foil cards. What is the best way of obtaining these cards? I'm looking at 3 choices: random card lots, booster packs, or just buying the cards individually. Which is the best option of obtaining these holos?

In most cases, the most cost effective means is buying them individually, though that depends on which kinds of foils you're looking for.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • If foils in general... buying individually. Buying random card lots/boosters has a high risk of getting doubles, or not getting a foil at all. But buying those will also get you non-foils, and can sometimes get you much rarer cards you'd normally have to pay a lot for.

If foils are ALL you care about and you don't want doubles? Buying them individually is the only way to go.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    If you're not looking for one holo card in particular, your best bet might be to check the Ebay auctions for a bundle of them that you like. This can work out a lot cheaper than buying cards individually, especially if you avoid having to pay postage for each individual card. Only buy bundles where you can clearly see every card you're going to be getting though. Avoid the ones where sellers say they're going to send you X amount of random cards including 1 random holo.

Also avoid buying individual booster packs. There's no guarantee that you'll even find a holo, and these odds are made even worse by how easy it is for sellers to weigh booster packs to tell if there's a holo inside. There are people out there who buy booster boxes, open all the ones that weigh the heaviest, then sell the rest.

Back