• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
  • Once again, and for the last time, I will say that if you can't discuss things without provoking another member with flamebait, don't do it. Take a different route, drop the conversation completely; whatever it takes to avoid an argument. You can debate and discuss peacefully over whatever you want to talk about, within reason, but once it becomes a spat is when it needs to stop.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • I'm done talking about Bieber on here. I'll just leave by mentioning that he got charged with assault the other day, and that he did indeed state that he thinks being gay is a choice.

Anyway, something that I find completely overrated is Homestuck. I've tried to get into it a number of times, but I never really was able to. The crazy fanbase hurts it as well.

I also find pretty much the entirety of the emo-pop genre to be overrated. Bands like Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance never really appealed to me that much. I'm more of an old-school punk guy, to be honest.

Finally, Hunger Games. Too much focus on romance, a juvenile writing style, and a lack of likeable characters ruin it for me. Sorry, but Katniss isn't some kind of amazing female lead. In fact, I find her a rather stereotypical female lead.

Last edited:

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • I'm done talking about Bieber on here. I'll just leave by mentioning that he got charged with assault the other day, and that he did indeed state that he thinks being gay is a choice.
    Being charged with assault is common, it isn't ANY different because Justin assaulted someone... And what is wrong with saying homosexuality is a choice? Why must it be an issue? Why must he be hated for EVERY SINGLE BLOODY MISTAKE HE MAKES? He's not perfect, no-one is, so he is eligible to make a mistake here and there and going by what I have been hearing, he did NOT drag race and was .014 alcohol level... However, he was on anti-depressants (I couldn't possibly imagine why... Has something to do with the constant hate he gets) and whatever else...

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Being charged with assault is common, it isn't ANY different because Justin assaulted someone... And what is wrong with saying homosexuality is a choice? Why must it be an issue? Why must he be hated for EVERY SINGLE BLOODY MISTAKE HE MAKES? He's not perfect, no-one is, so he is eligible to make a mistake here and there and going by what I have been hearing, he did NOT drag race and was .014 alcohol level... However, he was on anti-depressants (I couldn't possibly imagine why... Has something to do with the constant hate he gets) and whatever else...

I really didn't want to reply to this, but I really have no idea how assault is a small thing. If, say, I got charged with assault, you'd be shouting at the cops to lock me up forever. But because it's Bieber, you're dismissing it as "common" and defending him. Just because one is a celebrity doesn't mean that they are immune to the law. Assault is assault. Drug abuse is drug abuse.

And as for the homosexuality issue, it is an issue because it's a perspective that belongs in the past and hampers progress. It's an issue partially for the same reason creationism is an issue, except creationism doesn't hurt anyone. This kind of perspective on homosexuality breeds hate, and it's the reason some parents send their gay kids to be tortured in pseudo-scientific "Gay Conversion Therapy" camps. People who think homosexuality is a choice generally look down on gays, thinking that they can stop if they want to/pray enough/are chosen by God.

Years
  • I can't believe I forgot this earlier: I really, really, really, really, REALLY don't like M.I.A. She's portrayed as this intelligent, "indie" feminist crusader, when all she does is speak (and type) in caricatured, incoherent English slang, get drugged-up at concerts, and make repetitive, boring, corporate-"ethnic" drivel that I hesitate to call music.

It's an issue partially for the same reason creationism is an issue, except creationism doesn't hurt anyone.
    I would disagree with that. To the extent that it discourages scientific thought, it impedes scientific progress.

People who think homosexuality is a choice generally look down on gays, thinking that they can stop if they want to/pray enough/are chosen by God.
    They're more likely to, but the two ideas don't go hand-in-hand and Bieber saying it doesn't make him homophobic. This article does a pretty good job of explaining what the scientific community thinks of the causes for homosexuality (spoiler alert: not 100% of anything) and an editorial opinion that not only is it not homophobic to say that homosexuality is a choice, but the reverse furthers the portrayal of it as a disease.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I can't believe I forgot this earlier: I really, really, really, really, REALLY don't like M.I.A. She's portrayed as this intelligent, "indie" feminist crusader, when all she does is speak (and type) in caricatured, incoherent English slang, get drugged-up at concerts, and make repetitive, boring, corporate-"ethnic" drivel that I hesitate to call music.

Same, people say she's an amazing artist and all. But I don't find her as amazing as people says she is. I actually find a lot more rappers being better lyrically.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • Yaay for ignoring the people who can't handle someone having a different opinion then themselves :D

Hmmm... overated....?

How about all those Cartoon Network shows that everyone is in love with?

Regular Show, Adventure Time, etc. I never really found the appeal in them :p

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • How about all those Cartoon Network shows that everyone is in love with?

Regular Show, Adventure Time, etc. I never really found the appeal in them :p

This.

Seriously, so many of my friends are huge Adventure Time fans. I watched it a bit back when it initially came out, but I'm not huge on it. I mean it's decent, certainly way better than Spongebob, but still nothing that amazing in my opinion.

Regular Show, though, I completely don't get. It makes no sense, and the jokes aren't even funny for me.

stp

ShootThePuck
    Years
  • I don't really get why Snapchat is so popular. Honestly, if I'm talking to you through a phone, I'd rather call / text you than send pictures with one sentence of text.

The Hunger Games were really boring to me. The first book only gets good like 3/4ths of the way through and I couldn't even get past like two chapters in the second.

And yeah Cartoon Network has gone to ****.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Regular Show, though, I completely don't get. It makes no sense, and the jokes aren't even funny for me.
    I'll watch Regular Show once in a while, and even though it's not that great of a show, it does have some enormous strengths. For instance, I have never seen a show where the characters act so realistically with each other. In almost any show, the characters always come up with snappy responses on the fly and the jokes roll off of what the other has to say. In other words, it feels too scripted for me to really get into. Regular Show really puts an emphasis on character interaction and what they say to each other, and to me at least, the work is paying off. Every episode I watch has me appreciating how much work they put into each character and the consistencies throughout the series. It might not be the greatest show, but it does have a few advantages over other shows.

Some things I personally find overrated are:
    Call of Duty
    MLP
    Sports in general.

Pretty much your typical list there. Doesn't need much explaining.

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
    Years
  • I think that Flappy Bird was overrated. People hated it, but loved it at the same time. I couldn't get into it. It didn't make me mad, I just let it go. I mean, its a bird, and you tap the screen to make it go up and dodge pipes. Not that rage inducing. Once I heard the story about the guy who killed his brother over it, I laughed. Now it's been taken off the app store, and people will forget about it. Yay. Thats a good society, good society. Let it go. Forget about that boring game that did nothing but make people mad.

I like Regular Show, well the older episodes, then newer ones just didn't do it for me. I never got into Adventure Time. Regular Show was funny, and more mature. The episodes in that show had little to no connection to each other, and that's what I liked about it. I found that intriguing, and loved to watch it. I don't even know if they make new ones, but after a while, it started turning into a more young child oriented show, and it lost its prominence to me.

Ultraviolence

alt account for Eros
    Years
    • Age 28
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 3, 2019
    I feel like Lady Gaga has became an extremely overrated figure in music and pop. There are some things she does I just cannot get my head around, and the fact she tends to describe or allude to saying her music is 'art' (art is subjective, however, this is just my opinion.) I do admire what she does for the LGBT community.

A game I cannot stand, is Call of Duty. I don't get it, it's the same recycled gameplay and graphics over and over. And people still lap it up?

Years
  • Everything seems overrated to me! XD The first ones that come into mind is GTA. Given that I've never actually played one, I have a tendency to withdraw myself from partaking in things that I believe are overrated. I've heard it's a great series though, just not for me.

Can I just say, music-wise, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber and all those other young adult musicians are also overrated? ;___; You can all kill me now. I'm probably the one with the unpopular opinions...

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • I feel like Lady Gaga has became an extremely overrated figure in music and pop. There are some things she does I just cannot get my head around, and the fact she tends to describe or allude to saying her music is 'art' (art is subjective, however, this is just my opinion.) I do admire what she does for the LGBT community.

A game I cannot stand, is Call of Duty. I don't get it, it's the same recycled gameplay and graphics over and over. And people still lap it up?

I definitely agree on Lady Gaga. While I'm with her 100% on LGBT rights, I don't really like her music. It's alright, definitely way better than that Katy Perry crap, but it's still not my cup of tea.

And as for CoD, I never really played it much. I liked World at War, but I never really got into the other games. Really, being called the N word over the mic by 9 year old kids gets old really fast.

PkmnTrainerElio

Years
  • Everything seems overrated to me! XD The first ones that come into mind is GTA. Given that I've never actually played one, I have a tendency to withdraw myself from partaking in things that I believe are overrated. I've heard it's a great series though, just not for me.

Can I just say, music-wise, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber and all those other young adult musicians are also overrated? ;___; You can all kill me now. I'm probably the one with the unpopular opinions...

The only reason Justin is overrated, is because his haters have an undying obsession with him...

stp

ShootThePuck
    Years
  • The only reason Justin is overrated, is because his haters have an undying obsession with him...

I'm pretty sure every single one of your posts has mentioned either Justin Bieber or One Direction. Listen, I get your a "Belieber" or whatever, but it's getting old. If all you're going to do is complain about people not liking Justin Bieber in this thread, then I don't really see the point of you posting here. I'm not trying to be mean or rude, but it's just getting old. People have opinions, dude. Live with it.

In other news...

Call of Duty isn't actually that overrated. Most people I know that used to be play the game regularly don't really play it anymore (myself included) and they're realizing that it's just a ****fest of stupid game mechanics. CoD4 was a fantastic game and CoD is extremely fun when you just don't get mad at dying. The series has just started to get more noob-friendly and not very innovative. Ghosts has had very poor sales compared to Black Ops 2 and MW3. People are realizing that there's no point in buying this game for $60.

PkmnTrainerElio

Years
  • "Homophobia" is overrated why?

1. LGBT community accuse nearly everybody who makes a "negative" comment about homosexuality, a "homophobic", (even if it is something like homosexual intercourse is wrong, (which I strongly believe)).

2. Homophobia itself shouldn't really exist, like, I believe in God and the Bible, but, I don't really believe that homosexuals should be judged for liking the same gender and dating, however, I do believe homosexual intercourse is wrong and gross. I think Leviticus 18:22 speaks about sodomy being an abomination, not homosexual relationships as I have heard lie (as in lie down) has meant intercourse in the Bible, that's just my opinion, I am not sure if that is Leviticus's correct words or not.

Back