• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other OPEN] Noble Magic [M]

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
  • jqu86VR.png

Noble Magic

Introduction

Finally, the land is truly at rest. Ten years ago, the Vestian Empire ended its brutal and bloody campaign for conquest of the realms that lie around the Lady's Sea. Soldoro and her allies fought them to a bitter stalemate, and an uneasy treatise was struck. In exchange for a strip of land on the edge of Soldoro, they would cease their crusade for domination. That peace remains to this day, but it came at a price.

Now, it is 1454 and King Perseus Velaro IV is the last of his family. The royal Velaro line have never been ones to shy from battle. Long standing tradition sees royal sons and daughters lead their soldiers to battle, wielding their magic with pride. However, this has been their downfall. Perseus has lost his consort, his siblings and his cousins. There is no one of close enough blood to be named successor. And Perseus cannot bring himself to be with another, after the death of his beloved.With the Vestians still prowling the border, this crisis is a constant pressure.

Therein lies the reason for the King's decree. The noble families of the land are to send a young member of their household to court this season. It is already a long standing tradition for noble youths to spend the summer at court in the Royal Palace, but this year shall be quite different: this year it is imperative. For the youth that impresses most shall be elevated to the status of heir, and adopted as the King's own. Not only this, but the family of the chosen shall be given the Duchy of Northern Soldoro: the position vacant since the death of the previous Duchess.
    There will many chances to impress – fetes, masques, balls and feasts. And this year's season shall see the return of an event that has not been hosted since the beginning of the war: The Grand Tournament.

---​
    Soldoro as a country is somewhere between real-life Italy and Greece in the Renaissance period. This is reflected in its architecture – buildings tend to have columns and wide arches and there are plenty of domed rooves in any city. It is on the western edge of an inland sea and has a warm, temperate to Mediterranean climate. There are wide swathes of farmland and vineyards, and its main exports are wines and olives, along with having a thriving fishing industry.

Art and culture are at the fore of all things in Soldoro, and new technologies are often being discovered. A land with magic has no need for guns, and hence they do not exist in this world. Swords and crossbows are fought with, but these are usually only when a person is lacking in combative magical prowess.

Religion in Soldoro is primarily a belief in 'The Goddess' (alternatively referred to as 'the/our Lady'). It is monotheistic, though The Goddess is believed to have multiple aspects – and these vary from region to region. Noble families are expected to show public dedication to her, as Minaism is the state religion. Whether this is privately just lip service is up to the discretion of the individuals.

Nobility

[FONT= "Brawler"]You will play the child of a noble family sent to the king's court with the intention of becoming his heir. The nobility of Soldoro is made up of Mage families – mages are the ruling class in this land. Magic appears among the commoners, but only rarely. It is most strongly carried in the bloodlines of the old families, where it has been held for centuries. This causes a notable class divide, with many nobles looking down upon the 'peasants'. There is further divide among the ranks of nobility, and at court where you stand on this scale affects the way you are perceived by others.

The ranks are as follows (in descending order):

Spoiler:

You may choose to be the child of a noble of any one of these ranks, apart from Duke/Duchess. The Duke of South Soldoro is an NPC, and as stated above the Duchy of the North goes to the family of the chosen heir.
    [/FONT]

Magic

All of the noble families of Soldoro have magic in their blood. However, a mage can only be of a certain type – and these types are exclusive. Even if the character you are playing is a child of two different kinds of mages, they will only be able to perform one kind of magic. On occasion, a child may find they are not of the same type of either their parents, but instead of a type from a prior generation.

Basic spells can often be cast with no more than thought and intention. More complex spells may require incantations and rituals.

The types of magic are as follows:

Spoiler:

Gameplay

The game will play out as a hybrid, essentially. The action will happen primarily in the capital city of Avilla, and surround the advancing season at court. There will be periodic events that characters are required to attend – balls and feasts and such. And your characters will also be called to partake in bouts in the Grand Tournament. Between these events your characters will be free to explore the city and the castle as they please and pursue their own interests, in a small sandbox type of environment. Often there will be ongoing events in the city that your characters are free to investigate (or not) at their leisure. The plot will move on periodically as the season progresses, and does have defined end goal.

Largely, the point of the roleplay is to manoeuvre through the political and social entanglements of your character's time at court. How they act will affect how they are seen, and will affect the news of them that reaches the king's ears. Cause a scene in public, and people may start to whisper about your character. However, it is not imperative that your character should want to become the king's heir – indeed they may have been pushed by a family member, or perhaps they simply wish to enjoy a season at the Royal court. There shall be a set end point (the heir is decided upon) and from there everything shall wind down.

Locations

Just a brief bit of info on some of the areas in Soldoro – like I said above, most of the roleplay with be played out in the capital city, but this section can be used when you're building your sign-up.

Spoiler:

The City of Avilla

G45WNCD.png

If an area has a more general name, that describes the kind of things in that location, then it's perfectly fine for you to impose a bit of your own geography on Avilla. You can invent museums or shops or taverns that your character may find when exploring.

Avilla itself is not unlike Rome in appearance. Buildings are white and terracotta – the architecture is brimming with columns and archways. Many buildings have statues and carvings to decorate them.
    Spoiler:

Sign-up

Name:

Magic Type and Style: Remember, only one type. Give some idea of how your character uses this kind of magic, and what areas of it they are proficient in.

Noble Status: Which rank of nobility your character's parents belong to, and which city they rule, or where their land is. If you aren't playing the child of a Count/Contessa, then lay claim to the areas of Soldoro you see fit, but give a general idea of where in the country your land is, and what it contains (making up villages and towns is perfectly okay!).

For the child of a Count/Contessa you can claim any city you wish, and this shall be a first-come, first-saved basis. You can choose any of the five cities that are not the capital.

Appearance: Pictures, text or both.

Personality/Background: What your character is like, and little bit of their history up to this point.

Family Background: This only has to be brief – a sentence or two to give some idea of how long they have held their title and general popularity with the local populace. This section can be incorporated into the above if that's easier.

Rules

1. Obviously, all the normal PC and RPT rules apply.
    2. Joint posting is allowed, and may even work nicely when it comes to bouts in the Grand Tournament.
    3. No powerplaying – it's fine to be adept at your magic type, but it isn't fine to be an all-powerful, invlunerable mage.
    4. Your characters may not leave Avilla. If you have a good reason to do so, then please ask. Otherwise, it's unlikely that our young nobles would go wandering the countryside alone. It simply wouldn't do.
    5. Activity wise, at least weekly posts are preferable. There's flexibility here, depending on how long people think it will take.
    6. Be nice to me, pls. I haven't done the GM thing before.

Accepted Players

1. Me as King Perseus Velaro IV and various others as needed.
    2. Godzil as Trevor Argentine.
    3. Varys the Galvantula as Thomas Chance.
    4. Saragraph as John Devania.
    5. Disclosed as Tito Rustichelli.
    6. Oddball_. as Riley Lycanthrius.
    7. Lawlietta as Reserved.
    8. Sir General Admiral Fancy Swank as Reserved.
    (Character names link to sign-ups).

Last edited:
    Years
  • Magic RP! Politics and intrigue and magic! Count me in!

Name: Trevor Argentine

Magic Type and Style: Force Magic. Trevor is highly skilled in the use of telekinesis, which he wields as easily and dexterously as his own hands. In fact, he would prefer telekinesis over his hands, and casually uses his magic to pick up and move objects. In combat, however, he much prefers using his hands. Rather than crude blasts of force and defensive shields, he creates hand-shaped constructs of kinetic energy to fight with.

Noble Status: Baron. Trevor's father Bigby Argentine is the Baron of Sweetwater, a farming community along the banks of the Oran River. Sweetwater is known for producing fruit, and much of the town's income comes from Sweetwater Acres, the largest apple orchard all of Soldoro.

Appearance:
    Spoiler:

Trevor is a tall, slender lad, precisely six feet tall. He has light skin, brown eyes, and dark hair that reaches his shoulders and is perpetually messy. Though he is thin, he has a strong jaw and large nose, with a set if simple silver spectacles perched on his nose. He prefers a simple, academic style of fashion: black slacks and shoes, a long-sleeved white shirt, and a black robe.

Personality/Background: Trevor has always been a simple, hardworking person. He is honest and organized, and prefers to work behind a desk, but isn't afraid to go out and take care of things directly. All work and no play makes Trevor a dull boy, so he's kind of uptight and big on rules, but he does have hobbies. He enjoys reading, practicing his magic, and training himself in hand-to-hand combat. He occasionally sneaks out of the manor to participate in an underground fight club at the tavern.

Growling up was... different for Trevor. His father lived in his family's mansion, conducting state affairs, while his mother lived on her farm, working the land. Trevor spent most of his early childhood with his mother on the farm, learning the ways of the land. But when his magic started showing, his father took him in and taught him how to use it, as well as teaching him how to run the estate. Though he found himself more comfortable working with his father, a part of him missed the simple life of a farmer. His secret forays into the darker side of town would have enraged his father and sorely disappointed his mother, so perhaps his journey to the Royal Court was well-timed. Though it is the opposite of the simple life he secretly craves, he knows he has a duty and is proud to serve his time.

Family Background: The Argentine family has governed the town of Sweetwater for almost 100 years, turning a collection of farms into a thriving community. Trevor's father Bigby broke traditional marriage practices by marrying a commoner, the owner of Sweetwater Acres. This has earned their family the scorn of other nobles, but a measure of respect within the town itself. Combined with other practices to improve the condition of the people, the Argentine family is one of the less wealthy of the noble families, despite a profitable region, and are looked down on as overly sentimental liberals by other members if the nobility.

Last edited:

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • Sweet Jesus a sign-up I almost fainted

Great sign-up. Trevor is lovely. I like that he sneaks out to fight, and I like his style with magic. Before I accept, could you perhaps give me a little bit more history on him? What was his growing up like - especially being the child of two different worlds? Oh, and nitpicky but I might have to confiscate his bowler hat. I think it's a little bit too modern for a Renaissance kinda setting.

Otherwise I love him (awesome drawing btw, really cool style).

Years
  • Sigh. One day, bowler hat. You will be accepted one day...

I've added a little more, made his childhood more dramatic. And removed the anachronistic headgear.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • kazu.jpg

Thomas Chance

Male|| 21

Magic Type and Style: Death Magic

Thomas Chance is an adept in Death Magic as he has been training since he was a child. Both of his parents are also Death Magic users and they are equally excited to teach their son the ways of the art that are in their blood for generations. However, Thomas is not keen on the idea of using spirits and other undead arts as magic. He focused his powers instead on developing his shadow- control. While other Death Mages' shadows can only simply fill a room with darkness, Thomas' shadow can take on a semi-solid form, akin to black smoke. Thomas' can manipulate these shadows to create illusory forms of various objects.

Noble Status: Count of Orotello

Appearance: Thomas Chance is of medium built, standing at around 5'7". He is crowned with thick but straight blonde hair that he allows to grow until the nape of his neck. He prefers to wear a bonnet on his head though, as he dislikes combing his hair that refuses to stay down. He has piercing gray eyes and small lips. For clothing, he prefers to wear light clothing, as he sweats a lot when moving. He seldom wears thick clothing.

He is never seen without his violin case.

Personality/Background: The first thing that can describe Thomas is that he is a musician. As Orotello is known for producing magnificent bards, it is only expected that heir of the Count should be able to at least play decently. Thomas Chance studied the flute first, at four years old and mastering it at around seven years old. He proceeded with other instruments like the piano and the accordion. However, his favorite instrument to play is the violin. He is great in playing the sweet melody of the string.

Being the only son of the Count, Thomas is a sheltered individual. His parents dote on him and give him anything he wants. He only needs to say it and the connections his parents have will make it happen. However, despite being spoiled by his parents, there is nothing much that Thomas wanted more than to leave the house and try to walk the land. Using his Death magic, he wanted to see every nook and cranny of the country he is in.

Around other people, Thomas prefers to blend in, especially when in large crowds. He prefers to be alone most of the times but is not repulsed by the seldom attention. When he started his ambition to travel the land, he did not consider the possibility of anyone accompanying him. He just saw his dream as a solitary achievement.

In battle, he tends to be at the middle ground, supporting everybody with his shadow-constructs and yet providing enough power to aid those on the frontlines.

Family Background: The Chance family have held the title of Count of Orotello for a very long time, dating back at least eight generation before Thomas. His father married the daughter of a Baron from a nearby land. However, ever since their family was in ruling of Orotello, there was nothing much they did for the poorer population of their land, leaving majority of the people dissatisfied with their leadership.

Last edited:

Tixen

*Insert something witty here*
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2015
    Just a bit of a heads up to let you know that's I'm interested and that I shall get back to you on a sign up in the next few days.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • This feels GoT-ish so COUNT ME IN. Hehe. I'll have my SU some time tonight. :)

WIP

Placeholder [...]

Since you're putting down a placeholder template I'll reserve you a spot!

Just a bit of a heads up to let you know that's I'm interested and that I shall get back to you on a sign up in the next few days.

Would you like to be put down as reserved in the meantime?

jombii

Years
  • Quick question. Are we allowed to be adepts in our respective magic element or are we just in the process of being good at it?

jombii

Years
  • All right. That would be good. I'm thinking that Thomas would utilize Death Magic in ways that mimics the other styles.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • I don't think I can get on board with the corporeal shadows and them mimicking other magic types. It unbalances the idea of having the types be exclusive. The idea of constructs from shadows is fine - but as an illusion rather than something corporeal.

If Thomas being uncomfortable with spirits is important to his character, then perhaps he could be a different type of mage raised by two Death mages - a grandparent who was a mage of a different type.

jombii

Years
  • How about if I mimic just one other type of magic? Would that be fine?

Illusion to corporeal is a yeah. I just took a shot a solid dogs rather than smokey, wispy ones. :)

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • I'd be fine with shields, since there are ways to create shields with most of the types of magic. You can suggest with learning to create shields, he was able to mimic shield-throwing techniques from Life mages. Which is similar to telekinesis, but more basic - shields can push things, or restrict movement.

jombii

Years
  • All right, I'll edit my power and just mimic the shield-making power of the Life Magic. Thank you!

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Ooh interesting and really well done- I'll be keeping an eye on this, it's right up my alley!!

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Same here; the plot looks especially well-handled. I'll most likely look into creating a character of my own once I can organize myself, see if the roleplays I'm in won't be too demanding.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • Thank you! I appreciate the compliments. I worked hard on rounding everything out once I had the concept.

If either of you find you're freer to join after the roleplay gets going there'll probably be some scope to do that.

Saragraph

Everything for the OST.
    Years
  • Name: John Devania

Magic Type and Style: Force Magic. For reasons later explained in personality/background he'd rather use force magic instead of actually moving his body to go and close the door for instance. Again for reasons later explained he is not that good at magic. He's developed his skills good enough for basic use (think closing things, moving and using a broom and letting simple things fly through the air like spoons or arrows), but doing anything remotely complex will result in a failure. John isn't the world's best combat mage because he never developed any combat skills. As said before he only developed basic use. However he has some options, like changing the course of things flying at him or toss small objects at a decent speed at a target. Of course, he can use his environment to his advantage by controlling the right objects in the right way (think untying ropes so object x will fall on target y, or by suddenly moving object z right in front of some horses and through that creating public chaos). If it's easy and simple to move and execute, then John can do it. He only has to think hard enough and find a way.

Noble status: Lord. John's parents are the Lord and Lady of an estate somewhere in the land surrounding Omercia. Its grounds include a little bit of farmland. It's nothing too special, but the quality of their produce is amazing.

Appearance: John is 1.75 meters (or 5 feet 8 inches) tall. He doesn't have much muscles as a result of his lifestyle, and has somehow managed to have a relatively normal weight. He has white skin, whiter than normal thanks to, again, his lifestyle. His eyes are blue and his hair was recently cut short. It looks stupid without doing anything with it, so he uses whatever substance he can get his hands on that doesn't smell too terribly to fix his hair. He has a large, long head so wigs don't really fit him. He doesn't have a preference when it comes to clothes. He just grabs whatever is clean and near.

Personality/Background: John is a lazy guy. A super lazy guy. He never does anything at all, and when he does he'll try to find the easiest or fastest way to do it, just do he can go back to doing nothing again. This is also the reason why he hasn't developed his magic that far. He is simply too lazy to learn it, and the only things that he has learned and does with his magic are simple things like closing doors or chests, moving brooms/brushes/whatever he needs for cleaning, or moving objects from one place to another whenever he gets told to. Whenever he can carry or move something with his magic, he does it. Doing it with his own body would simply require effort, and John doesn't like effort. This lax and lazy attitude also includes a disrespect for authority or anyone at all who tells him to do something. He does have one hobby, exactly one hobby: writing. All he needs for writing is some peace and quiet, a desk, and some writing material. It isn't hard effort and he can just rest on his bed or chair thinking about whatever he's thinking about and write it down if he likes it. He even likes writing for other people, but he's not ever going to admit that. John has somewhat of a pride that prevents him from admitting to do something that goes against his own character. His mom and dad don't approve of this lax attitude of course and often try to fix this, but to no avail. He disappointed them. He also has no friends whatsoever because, well, he's always in his room and doesn't do anything. But what does he think about all that time in his room? Why does he have the lifestyle he has? John is a dreamer. He dreams of adventures, of faraway places, oflife. You see, the only big thing happening anywhere close was the market in Omercia. Anything else was either small or boring. It just wasn't worth living there. It just wasn't worth his time and energy and THAT is why he became the lazy bum he became. When the king called for him to come to the royal court, something sparked within him. He suddenly got the drive to make something out of his life. Leaving his disappointed parents, nonexistent friends and boring life behind, he packed his bag and set for the capital before his parents knew it.

Family Background: The Devanias have held their title for a long time. Longer than anyone in the family can remember. As said before they have a bit of farmland they let farmers grow vegetables on. The quality of these vegetables has earned them a good reputation among the locals. Besides this they never did anything especially good/right but they never did anything wrong either. As members of the lowest class of nobility they're of course looked down upon by everybody above them, but they have a good reputation as knowledgeable (knowledge about farming and food in general) and trustworthy friends and allies. The Devanias are always eager to help, so other Lords and Ladies and their families generally come to them for help. However, the great focus on food, farming, etc. has lead some families to think of them as just a bunch of peasants and farmers that happen to have a title, they look down upon them. And some families want nothing to do with them but just use them and their eagerness to help for their own gain. You could say the Devanias are also a bit naive.

Last edited:
    Back