• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Got some ideas for OE compteitions?

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Competition Brainstorming Thread

Welcome, this thread is basically myself, trying to bring a little more fun to the section that is Other Entertainment. Now, let's face it, there's not a whole bunch of reasons as to why people might want to jump into the section. But, sometimes I gotta wonder why, the entertainment business is huge! So, as a start, I think we need some more competitions, much like Write a Review* which was held a few months ago. I've got some ideas, and I want you guys to take a look at them. But, more so, I'd like you guys to suggest some, because I like to get the members involved, OE is a section that has the power to unite people with common interests. So without further a due, let's take a look at some ideas.

* For those still waiting on the results, they'll be up as soon as Nick isn't so busy and emblems are uploaded.

Competition Ideas

Below there will be my suggestions, as well as any I think would be worth looking into and possibly going ahead with in the future, so if your idea is good, you might just get your up here!

• "Everything on the radio sounds the same" - This competition, revolves around a member writing out why they think the music industry has changed, and whether they think it is for the better, or for the worse and why they feel that way. The winners and participantswill receive emblems, if this competition goes through.
    • Redesign a Movie Poster or Album Cover - Well, since I also moderate Graphics and Photography, I thought I'd merge the two together just a little bit. This is a competition, where a member would pick a movie or album, and redesign the cover in their own way!
    • Caught on Caption -Every week or two, I'll take an image caught by the press, such as this and I'll open a thread to allow members to create their own caption for the photo. The member with the most clever, innovative or funny caption after the voting stages, will win the emblem!
    And there we have it, just some ideas I thought up. So guys, please do tell me what you think, add your own ideas and feel free to suggest anything. Let's have some fun and breathe some life into Other Entertainment!

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    those are nifty ideas, the last two sound especially fun. maybe we could open a contest for song interpretation, or some sort of artist exchange deal. ooh, or a recording contest of some sort......not sure how many people would be willing to partake but it's an idea. we could have a monthly/weekly contest where you change up the lyrics to a well-known song, but based on a specified theme...or change the lyrics to a specified song so it applies to a specific topic/theme.

Ayselipera

I like the last two ideas. They sound fun and interesting. The first one seems a little too much like a writing assignment from school. I don't see it being a fun competition that a lot of people would try to compete in.

I think some type of trivia competition would be exciting. For example a series of maybe 10 to 20 questions that covers an area of entertainment. Maybe one week it could be all about films, movies, directors and the next week it could be all about singers, songs, and record labels. The format could be a crossword. Sort of like what the anime section is currently doing.

Also a write your own movie plot/book plot could be interesting. Oh and also maybe a ~pick the actors/actresses who would play these characters contest~ An example would be you think of a book that you have read before and name the actors and actresses in real life who you think would play each character from that book best.

Last edited:

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • The first one seems a little too much like a writing assignment from school. I don't see it being a fun competition that a lot of people would try to compete in.

Which would increase your chances of winning. :D

I also like the last two ideas, but especially the third one. I would definitely participate in that...if I thought of something witty enough...>__> Anyways, I hope to see these ideas come to fruition! ^__^

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Just throwing a few ideas out there...

Make an advertisement: As if you're a member of the band/movie director, whatever; or if they've hired you to advertise them. You could make a poster, write an article, a video, anything you can think of really. It's shorter than a full review and you can be even more biased, there's no professionalism involved, your only goal is to sell.

Expanding on the review idea a bit, there could be a full fledged review contest like the one before. There could also be a smaller one, which may get more entries. Instead of reviewing an entire album or movie, just pick a particular song or scene from a movie and review that. It'll be quicker and easier to do so might be more popular. Reviews could also extend to books.

Rewrite a scene: People could rewrite a particular scene from a movie or book. Didn't like the ending in Harry Potter? Think it should be different? Well you can change it to whatever you think it should've been.
    And this one doesn't have to be serious, you could change a scene so it's comedic, or have a joke ending.

Alternatively, write an entirely new extra scene. People could create their own characters for new scenes also. Or maybe create a new character could be a seperate competition.

Edit: more ideas.

Create an interview: This could be a thing people can do in pairs, idk how popular that would be. One person is the interviewer, and the other person is pretending to be a celebrity (singer, actor, movie director, w/e) that's being interviewed. Again, this doesn't need to be serious, has potential for comedy.

Back from the future: Write as if you've travelled back in time from the year 2050, and describe what the media is like from that year. What has happened to music, was there a punk revival which caused anarchy to break out? What's the latest box office hit (The Ressurection of James Cameron?) what happened to all our favourite celebrities? Did Kanye West get shot after he tried crashing another award ceremony? You can think of any kind of scenario you want as long as it ties in with the media in some way.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think a monthly (or, if activity lacks, quadannual) review contest would go down well. I'd certainly enter most if not all of them, and I'm sure you'd get a tonne of entries.

Like what you (Abnegation) said, a redesign of an album cover or movie poster could work nicely. You could even go a step further and make a create-a-band contest where the entrant names a band, album, songs on the album and writes up a bio on the band (and optionally doing album art as well).

If enough people showed interest, you could have a song-writing competition, where the entrant would record a song (bad quality is fine, just use a Singstar microphone or something) and enter it. The only problems I see with this is that the judges would have bias towards genres they like, for example the majority of members like Lady Gaga and Usher (which admittedly would be hard to home-make with the instruments/studio computers involved, but for the sake of an example just read on) and so if somebody made a song similar to one of those artists it would be more popular. If this competition became reality you could probably have it determined by a silent vote (ie. not public) as opposed to having set judges (of course, it'd still be affected by genre popularity, but it'd be fairer).

Anyway, there's my two cents. I like the idea of having more competitions though. Keep up the good work.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Just so you guys know, I've already opened up the Caught On Caption event, you can find it here. Just post your entries within that thread.

Back