• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    how is there not a thread on this yet omg IT WAS SO GOOD.

Have you seen this movie? What did you think of it if you did? Was it better than the first film? How did you like Cumberbatch in the role of Smaug? Are you excited to see it if you haven't already?

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    We don't get it till Boxing day but please for the love of god do they say Smaug as in Sm-ow-g like the cartoon did XD. I cannot wait to see this movie I'm really looking forward to it but I am with family on boxing day OH NOES atleast I get presents hehe.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'm apprehensive. The first movie was... how do the French say... terrible. It was quite honestly the most boring three hours of my life (and if it wasn't three hours, it sure felt like it). The trailers for the second one look better so as long as there are no more dinner party scenes shown in real time, it should be fine.

Driskull

DADDY WAS A FALL DOWN MAN
    Years
  • I adore this movie.

Smaug is absolutely 100% my favorite film dragon of all time. Benedict Cumberbatch did a fantastic job with the voice.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I'm apprehensive. The first movie was... how do the French say... terrible. It was quite honestly the most boring three hours of my life (and if it wasn't three hours, it sure felt like it). The trailers for the second one look better so as long as there are no more dinner party scenes shown in real time, it should be fine.

Haven't seen it yet, but that's what I heard. My brother and I loved the first one, he went to see The Desolation of Smaug. He said it started off slowly, but sped up towards the end. I heard that it wasn't' as good as the first movie in The Hobbit trilogy. I personally thought a trilogy was too long for one book. I'll wait until the movie comes out on DVD.

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • It was way better than the first, but still seemed to continually remind me that it was still going.

I am a little undecided on how I feel about the changes that were made, but overall it was actually better than I anticipated.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Bruce Banner said:
    He said it started off slowly, but sped up towards the end.

That's how all of the Lord of the Rings movies are, really, but if the content doesn't actually flow properly the speed at which the movie progresses doesn't make it better. :( I can't make any swift judgement since I haven't seen the movie, but I might not even go see it until it's out on DVD so I can rent it for seven dollars cheaper than I could just going to see it. Considering the first movie, it might not even be worth the money or trip. :v

Years
  • There's so much I loved about this movie that I'm afraid to spoil, so I'll put it in three spoilers if you have as much self-control as I do:

Spoiler:

Overall, great movie :) I don't rate movies on a regular basis so I don't have a star system, but I was very satisfied with how it came out - I am excited for the finale.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I quite liked the second installment. It was definitely more action-packed. I agree, the dinner scenes were really tedious to watch. There were a few things that annoyed me though, mainly science-y things like
    Spoiler:

Other than that and a few other minor things, I really loved the scenes with Smaug. I watched it in 3D with a high frame rate and I felt as though I was actually there. Smaug sent shiver down my spine; those scenes were fantastic.

lozzop

Monkey slut!
    Years
  • Loved it, also liked the little Sherlock homes thing between Bilbo and Smaug, pretty epic film overall. It did last a little long, how they're going to make another film out of the book I have no idea, in the book about now, there's only about 10 pages left.

Mystify

confused
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2020
    I loved it. In my opinion it was definitely better than the first one, it was faster paced and more interesting. When it ended I actually thought, "What? It's already over?"

Elves continue to make me feel like an out of shape, physically unfit loser. But in a good way.

Years
  • I saw the movie over Christmas break and to be honest... I didn't love it. Compared to the first film, (which I preferred) it felt like this one had too many unnecessary actions scenes and not enough of the characters actually interacting with each other. It never seemed like Bilbo, Gandalf and the dwarves had very many moments together. I wasn't a fan of (spoilers) how it turned out the orcs and Sauron were setting up for a war? A lot of the movie just felt like filler to have enough content for three films. One part I thought was silly was when they went through all that trouble to cover Smaug in gold, but then it just turned out they gave him some bling bling (which he should have kept on). And this is based on bias, but I just can't deal with Evangeline Lily. She did a really great job of making me hate Kate on Lost, and I can't put that past her haha (It's silly I know). But also that moment when she healed Kili was just so ridiculous. As for Smaug, I loved everything about him. Cumberbatch did a really good job, in my opinion.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
    Years
  • Here's my take on it.

SPOILERS!!

Spoiler:

Nakala Pri

Mostly because of Legolas and the fact that he's sexy but that's beside the point, it was way better then the first and was totally kickass! C:

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
    Years
  • I haven't seen this movie yet but i know the story and i know about it. Its a great film. There are some tiny mans and some phantom evils who fight for something ? right ?

Yukari

I loved it, It was better than the first one. The first one had horrible pacing but I still liked it, It could get boring though and none-the-less was entertaining especially, do I even have to say it? no, I don't...

The Desolation of Smaug Had far superior pacing, there was something absorbing you attention every second of the film, It was far more entertaining then the first. but I won't say anymore, but that I liked the ending. For those of you who HAVE ALREADY SEEN the movie then open the spoiler tab
    Spoiler:

I would give the Desolation of Smaug a ten out of ten. The absorbed your attention LIKE A SPONGE and gave you everything you could want from a fantasy movie.

Back