• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overclocking and Underclocking

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
  • Overclocking has become a common trick if it comes to making the PC, or smartphones, to run faster, meanwhile underclocking is a whole different league, which aims to optimize the lifespan of the hardware. Do you guys ever overclock, or underclocking your devices, or not? If you do so, what's your experience while doing so? Or do you against these methods?

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • I favour underclocking the laptop I'm using at the moment. I use a utility that does it for me by switching to an "economy mode." I've been using it for the last few years and haven't really missed using the full power of my computer. I'd rather it survive for ten years and still be usable rather than overclock it and risk frying internal components from all the heat generated. Most programs I use, especially a few dev suites, work fine whilst I'm underclocking, too, so I'm happy doing it.

Tryndamere

the Barbarian King.
    Years
  • I have overclocked both my laptop's GPUs(2xGT 650M) to +290 core and +100 memory. This fetches me performance of upto +40% over default. This is amplified in my case because of dual GPU config. I handle heat by using IC Diamond Thermal Paste which brings down temperatures by upto 20 degrees celsius. Extreme laptop overclocker here. Even some desktop cards don't do this far. Running stable for 1 year now on this OC.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I've underclocked my Redmi 1s (my smartphone) to about 1.2Ghz in the past from its stock 1.6Ghz clock speed. Redmi 1S' Snapdragon 400 is supposed to go to a frequency of 1.6Ghz maximum. But, for some strange reason, Xiaomi chose to set it at the max value from the get go. As a result, the phone heats up and faces the issue of constant cpu throttling down. Which causes the apps to lag after the phone heats up.

If underclocked to 1.2Ghz, the device doesn't face that huge of a performance dip and runs most apps smoothly while maintaining the device temperature at bearable levels and prevents the issue from happening. I had to root my device to do it, though. :p That said, I don't think I'd ever overclock my devices. I don't really see the need to do it. :p

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I do neither. Even though my computer is pretty powerful, I don't like to utilize it to the fullest of its max potential because I'm actually quite used to having underpowered devices and tend to be pretty focused on reducing resources rather than enhancing performance. (This computer is pretty new and is the only powerman gaming computer I've ever owned. Before this, I used regular laptops) Overclocking is a function I have no use for, and thus would probably never utilize.

BUT I also don't really ever want to go back to that horrible performance I've suffered for years. So I just keep it on its normal default setting. It's a happy medium to me, and the computer will probably last a while anyway because it's not super overdoing it. As well, I multitask a lot with Photoshop and I like that little bit of extra power. However, I am more likely to underclock than overclock.

Last edited:

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I've never really had the equipment for either to be feasible at all for me. I did own a Pentium II that was unlocked but that was when I was in elementary school, and you wouldn't want to overclock it anyway. :P

Overclocking seems like nothing more than a novelty to me really. I find underclocking to err almost too much on the side of caution - CPUs are built to last.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Neither, as goes overclocking could reduce the component's lifespan and making more easier to break than choosing over a high performance

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I go with stock speeds because that's presumably what the manufacturer designed a given device to run at, and because I'd rather not void warranties until their terms have expired. Past that point, I mostly just can't be bothered. Overclocking is something I think I'd do when the components start to show their age in terms of performance, but I've never really been in a position where my desktop has hardware that is both old and functional; disc drives aside, I've ended up with new parts before too long for some reason or other.

BadassWolf

One doesn't simply...... Spam others...
    Years
  • Yup! Know much bout it! Overclocking is a give-take process. You give your CPU's life for boost in performance! And its not recommended. Chance your hardware will go out any minute. You require a cool system for it. And stock coolers are not recommended. It gets really really hot when you OC. Only certain components can be OCed! Like Intel processors that are 'unlocked' (unlocked multiplier) have a 'K' at the end! Like the i5 4670K! AMD FX are pretty much made for OCing! You also need OC mobo! ASRock make perfect OC motherboards. Cheers!
    Any Questions?

Years
  • Overclocking is a process I really condemn. The cons of overclocking outweigh the pros, and I would really only do it if I didn't care for the hardware of my computers, or if I had the money to shell out for a new processor. I've also seen stories where overclocking CPUs posed the risk of fire, something that I wish not to happen at all.

Years
  • I honestly don't know how to overclock anything, and even if I did...if I wanted a faster speed I would just go out and buy a better part if possible. If I can't, oh well. I prefer my stuff to last as long as possible. As for underclocking, I have no earthly idea why I would want to do that. I cannot think of any situation I'd be in where that would be needed.

Default settings work just fine for me.

Back