• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Region doesn't matter for traded pokémon?

rob_thijs

Trick Room Master
Years
  • I posted this in a thread on the quick trade forum. To prove you don't need to be from another region to recieve outside pokémon. But I'm really want your opinion on this.

I thought changing the DS to another region before starting a game would change the pokémons region to, but it didn't!
    Well I can show you, I just tested it on my Y cartridge.

This picture is from my Y trainer card I started with region France(Réunion) on the 3DS settings and in-game language English.
    Spoiler:

However when I trade a pokémon from this game to my X card (region Netherlands) it will not show it's from a different region for some reason.
    Spoiler:

It did however effect the Vivillon pattern, even after I changed my 3DS region back to Netherlands.
    Spoiler:

So I did restart my game and this time I just kept the 3DS region Netherlands but changed the language in-game to French.
    Spoiler:

And now when I trade over a pokemon from Y to my X card it shows it is from another region. What is kinda odd because both games started with Netherlands as region.
    Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Actually it makes sense, the region is part of the pokemons data. Id imagine its set when its initially caught/claimed. so changing the region afterwards probably would only work for newly caught pokemon, unless of course it saves the region against your saved game aswell.

rob_thijs

Trick Room Master
    Years
  • Actually it makes sense, the region is part of the pokemons data. Id imagine its set when its initially caught/claimed. so changing the region afterwards probably would only work for newly caught pokemon, unless of course it saves the region against your saved game aswell.

I think you did not understand what I wrote. It's a lot I know. Like I said:

Before I started Y I changed the region to France(Réunion) in my 3DS and played the game with in-game language English. I caught Pikachu and when I wanted to trade it to my X game with GTS, it was not possible because my Nintendo ID is Dutch. So I had to change my region back to Netherlands on the 3DS in order to go online. When I changed the region back to Netherlands I catched scatterbug and it evolved into Vivillon and it has the Ocean pattern. Netherlands pattern is Continental. Then I checked the Pikachu and I noticed it didn't came from another region while Réunion is near Madagascar.

So I started a new game, this time without changing the region in my 3DS to France. But this time I changed the in-game language to French. And when I traded the Fletchling over it says it's from another region on my X card. While this time both Y and X have the same region.

This proves only changing your Language will act like it's from another region. So if people from Japan play their game in English and they trade you a pokémon it will not show as a Japanese but as an English one.

Last edited:

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Ahh i see so its the language that sets the poemon data not the 3DS region interesting.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • I thought it was known that the language, not the region, determines the foreign tag. The region on the 3DS only affects Vivillon patterns.

But maybe some people will find this useful ☺ so they don't restart thinking otherwise, I suppose.

Back