• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon R3D and Green 3D [recruiting]

Benamon

Programmer and fan
Years
Lite-C, the language used by GameStudio, from which Project Vulpix will be derived.
oh good, that just happens to be one of the languages I actually know. I guess my only question now is if you need someone with my skills/lack thereof right now

Fotomac

Genwunner and proud of it
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Sure. Welcome to the club. Oh, be sure to send me the code via PM so I can use GameStudio's script editor, SED, to view it and test it out.

Last edited:

Benamon

Programmer and fan
Years
(I think that was a reply for me, my notifications tab isn't working so I have to guess)
Sure. Welcome to the club. Oh, be sure to send me the code via PM so I can use GameStudio's script editor, SED, to view it and test it out.
You just tell me what needs coding and I'll hop right on it then

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
You just tell me what needs coding and I'll hop right on it then

Right... let's start with a simple wild Pokémon battle, Red's Charmander vs. a wild Rattata, no natural objects.

Benamon

Programmer and fan
Years
Alright, while I figure that out I just want to give you a heads up that to get a battle working there'd need to be full lists of moves, their effects, pokemon's names, types, a lot of stuff. I'll do what I can, but just know it may take a while.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Alright, while I figure that out I just want to give you a heads up that to get a battle working there'd need to be full lists of moves, their effects, pokemon's names, types, a lot of stuff. I'll do what I can, but just know it may take a while.

Charmander's moves will be Scratch, Growl, Ember, and Smokescreen, and his level will be 10; Rattata's moves will be Tackle, Tail Whip, and Quick Attack, and his level will be 5. All moves are Normal except Ember (which is Fire); Charmander is pure Fire-type, and Rattata is pure Normal-type. Just to help you with some stuff, of course.

Benamon

Programmer and fan
Years
Wonderful, I can just adapt the code from the game I'm making to c-lite and it should work fine. I'll have to study c-lite a bit though, I know it but I don't know it really well. Shouldn't take too long if everything goes well.

italianspy

Sounds like a jealous croatian
Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2015
English will be the default language; I'm also planning on having Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese languages included.

You know what, if this ever gets to that stage in development, I'll gladly translate it all to italian for you

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
You know what, if this ever gets to that stage in development, I'll gladly translate it all to italian for you

Great! Once I get Project Vulpix's first bit of code via PM and test it, I'll send it over to you via PM, following additions I make to the code to translate the Pokémon and/or attack names (I already know the Italian names of each attack thanks to Bulbapedia, and I might make up my own translations of the Pokémon names based on existing translations in other languages) without overwriting the English text.

Anyway, is there anyone here who can arrange music?

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
That's precisely my point in trying to find programmers... and yet some jealous Croatian (at least, I assume he's jealous given his allegedly less-than-reasonable attitude towards me, though I'll admit he did have a point about calling myself an "engineer") is trying to tell me I can't hope to recruit programmers to work on my engine unless I actually create a working engine from scratch.
Lol, jealous? Of what? I just tried to put your attitude and approach to game development under a realistic scope. All these:
Also, if you want to make a 3d game engine, you should probably learn how to make one. People are more likely to come help you out if you're already doing something.
While I think it's not necessarily true that you can't recruit programmers without a working engine, it does lend a certain ethos to the project, especially when developing something as elaborate as a Pokemon game using a 3D engine. In fact, I'd offer my help at this stage of development, but with the stipulation that since it is such a large project and would take a significant amount of time(I'd have to put all of my own projects on hold and work on this full-time), I'd have to charge you at my usual rate for services rendered.
And most importantly this:
I think that italianspy marked the sentiment fairly well - you've offered no indication that YOU will be quantifiably working on this project throughout your entire thread, and expect people to join because they subscribe to your vision. If you're expecting a whole new engine to be created for this project, you have to indicate that you find others' time valuable and contribute yourself, either in time or money or other support, depending on how the people working with you value their time. If you were doing something other than functioning as a "creative director" (which reads as "I'll tell you what to do and then take the credit at the end"), I think you'd be met with more enthusiasm.
echo exactly the opinion I am of.

Personally I have 7 years of experience in real programming. I can design graphical interfaces, draw in vectorial 2D art, sketch pretty well in real life. Program in Ruby - Python - C# - C++ or whichever C you want (and I'm sure I can adapt to whatever language you'd like to throw at me). I have 12 years of experience in music playing an instrument acoustically, and can compose, arrange and produce music both acoustically and digitally. I am good at creative writing, speak 3 languages fluently and can even communicate with you in written Arabic. Oh, and I'm 2 semesters away from an actual engineering title. With all that, I'd find it insulting to have to pour all my time, effort and hard work into a game where you, who doesn't even have 10% of the experience or the skills I handle on a daily basis, would staple your name as "lead developer" and "creative director". There is no logical incentive for someone like me to be a part of a project, with someone like you in charge. You yourself don't appear qualified enough to lead the development of such an ambitious project, but you seem to have an appetite for only qualified personnel.

There, you called me out on my jealousy. I guess I am a bit jealous. Lol.

P.S. You can't expect others to make your entire game for you. I hope that all the posts incentivise you to try and create a skill set of your own, that you'd hopefully be able to apply to game development. Look at Ethereal Gates' team. They have a lot of people working on it. But every single person brings something to the table. So far, you brought nothing to the table, except an idea that is way over your head.

EDIT:
trying to tell me I can't hope to recruit programmers to work on my engine unless I actually create a working engine from scratch.
Also, that's not exactly what I was saying. No one is telling you to make the engine from scratch, apart from yourself. By now you could have used Essentials, and had something already to show for it. You could have used Unity, paid a pretty penny for the various Assets available in their store, and used some great 3D tilemap systems, that would be more than adequate to make a Pokemon game. But see, you're not that kind of guy. You don't want to use Essentials, because it is not up to your "standards", yet you can't back up your own "standards" with anything. You don't want to invest the time or money into a 3D engine, but want others to do just that. It's absurd. I'm of the opinion, that if you want to recruit the people to do such a cumbersome task as creating a whole new engine (3D engine no less) from scratch, you are going to have to bring to the table waaaay more than just an overly ambitious idea.

Last edited:

italianspy

Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2015
Great! Once I get Project Vulpix's first bit of code via PM and test it, I'll send it over to you via PM, following additions I make to the code to translate the Pokémon and/or attack names (I already know the Italian names of each attack thanks to Bulbapedia, and I might make up my own translations of the Pokémon names based on existing translations in other languages) without overwriting the English text.

I don't think you need to send me the code for me to translate your game into italian... You need to write all the speech bubbles and story first

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Lol, jealous? Of what?

Your attitude towards me simply got me thinking you were worried I might actually pull this off and render Essentials + EBS truly obsolete because anyone making a Gen VI game or later could turn to my engine once it was finished.

Personally I have 7 years of experience in real programming. I can design graphical interfaces, draw in vectorial 2D art, sketch pretty well in real life. Program in Ruby - Python - C# - C++ or whichever C you want (and I'm sure I can adapt to whatever language you'd like to throw at me). I have 12 years of experience in music playing an instrument acoustically, and can compose, arrange and produce music both acoustically and digitally. I am good at creative writing, speak 3 languages fluently and can even communicate with you in written Arabic. Oh, and I'm 2 semesters away from an actual engineering title. With all that, I'd find it insulting to have to pour all my time, effort and hard work into a game where you, who doesn't even have 10% of the experience or the skills I handle on a daily basis, would staple your name as "lead developer" and "creative director". There is no logical incentive for someone like me to be a part of a project, with someone like you in charge. You yourself don't appear qualified enough to lead the development of such an ambitious project, but you seem to have an appetite for only qualified personnel.

Only the slightest bit of qualification will do for any personnel; for this particular project, I'm looking for both jacks of all trades (such as you, though even with your skills I probably wouldn't hire you anyway considering you come across as less-than-reasonable to me at times) AND masters of one. As for my credentials, I've taught myself SOME Lite-C since the last time you posted in this thread, so I can do some basic coding and test any script which should come my way.

There, you called me out on my jealousy. I guess I am a bit jealous. Lol.

Like I said earlier, you pretty much asked for it, considering the condescending tone I perceived in your lecturing me on the values of not being lazy.

P.S. You can't expect others to make your entire game for you. I hope that all the posts incentivise you to try and create a skill set of your own, that you'd hopefully be able to apply to game development. Look at Ethereal Gates' team. They have a lot of people working on it. But every single person brings something to the table. So far, you brought nothing to the table, except an idea that is way over your head.

Well, just don't say I'm not trying. I was going to receive some honest-to-Arceus code via PM, but it looks like I was hit with a setback as far as that's concerned; it appears the programmer who was going to send it to me also has quite a bit to learn yet about Lite-C. Part of my function on Project Vulpix is, of course, to test any script that either I make or someone else sends my way.

...That's not exactly what I was saying. No one is telling you to make the engine from scratch, apart from yourself. By now you could have used Essentials, and had something already to show for it. You could have used Unity, paid a pretty penny for the various Assets available in their store, and used some great 3D tilemap systems, that would be more than adequate to make a Pokemon game. But see, you're not that kind of guy. You don't want to use Essentials, because it is not up to your "standards", yet you can't back up your own "standards" with anything. You don't want to invest the time or money into a 3D engine, but want others to do just that. It's absurd. I'm of the opinion, that if you want to recruit the people to do such a cumbersome task as creating a whole new engine (3D engine no less) from scratch, you are going to have to bring to the table waaaay more than just an overly ambitious idea.

Well, I do have some basic Lite-C scripting skills, plus script testing abilities. Also, I believe a free game engine can work just as well as you believe Unity can (plus, you know, that whole matter about Essentials being good only up to Gen V as far as my games are concerned).

I don't think you need to send me the code for me to translate your game into italian... You need to write all the speech bubbles and story first

The code I was anticipating was a battle script; the reason I offered to send you the script for the purpose of translation was so I could demonstrate some of my own coding skills first in translating certain portions which I already know about (i.e. the attacks and/or the Pokémon names, the latter which I might translate into Italian based in part on existing French translations); after all, I may have just started learning Lite-C, but I will be doing at least some coding work.

*to Luka S.J.* You can count on that, Luka S.J.!

ETA: Speaking of which, if you, Luka, are at least willing to translate into whatever language I'm planning for this project you might know (out of the three languages you do speak fluently, minus English, the default tongue of this project) and I'm able to get some code, either by my own design or via PM, I'm going to work on it to accommodate both English and whatever currently eligible language (i.e. Japanese, French, Spanish, German, Italian, or Portuguese) you know and prove to you that I can at least do something with Lite-C.

Last edited:

italianspy

Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2015
The code I was anticipating was a battle script; the reason I offered to send you the script for the purpose of translation was so I could demonstrate some of my own coding skills first in translating certain portions which I already know about (i.e. the attacks and/or the Pokémon names, the latter which I might translate into Italian based in part on existing French translations); after all, I may have just started learning Lite-C, but I will be doing at least some coding work.

The italian pokemon names are the same as the english ones

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Your attitude towards me simply got me thinking you were worried I might actually pull this off and render Essentials + EBS truly obsolete because anyone making a Gen VI game or later could turn to my engine once it was finished.

Hahahhaa, man...that is such a petty way of interpreting everything I've said so far. Good for you if you can pull it off, and provide the community with a new kit to make games with. Oh wait...no...you won't. Someone else will. You'll just tape your name all over it, with your "script testing knowledge" (what the heck is that even supposed to mean?) While we're on the subject of the EBS. I did that thing as a way to give back to the community with which I have been for so long. There is no competition in it for me. I don't care if everyone, or if no one is using it. So my "worry" of it becoming "obsolete" is really stupid, haha.

Real talk...you need to start to walk before you can run. Right now, you're trying to run a marathon and don't even know how to crawl. Put your objectives and ambitions into a realistic perspective, and take things one at a time. This community has seen plenty of people like you, who dream of overly complicated projects that they can't possibly hope to handle. And instead of scaling the work to a reasonable proportion, they want to go out 'guns blazing' and start trying to recruit people to do the work they can't do. All of these "projects" failed. You seem to be heading in that direction.

My sincere suggestion to you would be to start from the little things. Maybe make the gen one remake in Essentials first (it's currently the most complete Pokemon engine out there), to see if something like this is what you want to invest your time in. See which set of skills you'd be most comfortable learning. Is it mapping? Story telling? Eventing? Coding? Graphical design? You can't know until you try it out, and you won't be able to try it out if you start at the very ambitious end of the spectrum. We all came from nothing.

What would happen if you did recruit a team, and the engine was in coherent development, and you realized half way through that this isn't as exciting as you initially thought? It'd be a big "f*** you" to everyone who had invested their time in the project. You can try to convince me all you want that you're determined to go all the way through. I was too, lol. You couldn't convince me that I'd never finish my fan-game. Until I realized that I want to do something original...since I can.

There is a lot of potential, and a lot of room to fail in what you're doing. And my assessment of the situation is that you won't be as likely to find skilled, dedicated members to fill your roster now. When people see that you've invested a solid (and I mean real solid) amount of time in this project yourself, and when people see that you've produced some solid work. Then they might be more convinced to help you out. Thing is, here you come out of the blue, and clearly state that you're a complete beginner at what you're doing, but want to fill an arsenal of team members to work on your game. If the Ethereal Gates' team (for example) came out, and said "we're recruiting people to help us create a new 3D engine", the response would be completely different, then the response you're getting. They have produced quality work, which allows potential members to see that their project is worth investing time into. What do we see from you? Hmm?

Instead you want to fight with whoever tries to ground you to reality. Ultimately it's your decision. I'm not invested in your project, and honestly don't care what happens to it (even though my prediction is that in about 2-3 months neither you nor this project will be anywhere to see around the forums). Do what you think is right, but I'd urge you to rethink your current strategy. As someone who's been where you've been, and as someone who has experience in both 2D and 3D game development, I think this approach isn't very constructive.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
The italian pokemon names are the same as the english ones

I quite understand that, so tell you what: I'll send you two versions of the partially-translated script and see which one you like better. The version you like better, I'll use for the actual engine and games.

ETA: As for you, Luka...

While we're on the subject of the EBS. I did that thing as a way to give back to the community with which I have been for so long. There is no competition in it for me. I don't care if everyone, or if no one is using it. So my "worry" of it becoming "obsolete" is really stupid, haha.

Yeah, about that... way to unwittingly plant stupid thoughts into my head. I feel so stupid for letting myself get fooled into thinking such a thing...

Real talk...you need to start to walk before you can run. Right now, you're trying to run a marathon and don't even know how to crawl. Put your objectives and ambitions into a realistic perspective, and take things one at a time. This community has seen plenty of people like you, who dream of overly complicated projects that they can't possibly hope to handle. And instead of scaling the work to a reasonable proportion, they want to go out 'guns blazing' and start trying to recruit people to do the work they can't do. All of these "projects" failed. You seem to be heading in that direction.

My sincere suggestion to you would be to start from the little things. Maybe make the gen one remake in Essentials first (it's currently the most complete Pokemon engine out there), to see if something like this is what you want to invest your time in. See which set of skills you'd be most comfortable learning. Is it mapping? Story telling? Eventing? Coding? Graphical design? You can't know until you try it out, and you won't be able to try it out if you start at the very ambitious end of the spectrum. We all came from nothing.

Now that you mention it... it'd probably be a good idea to make the standalone Albion game as a Gen V.V (if you'll pardon the tacky Roman decimals) game, and a prequel to X/Y.

...my prediction is that in about 2-3 months neither you nor this project will be anywhere to see around the forums

And this is where you're wrong; I'm not planning to go away any time soon.

One other thing: what language does RMXP speak? Is it C, C++, C#, Lite-C, Java, or something else?

Last edited:

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Yeah, about that... way to unwittingly plant stupid thoughts into my head. I feel so stupid for letting myself get fooled into thinking such a thing...
Lol, believe whatever you want. It bothers me as much as people not using my battle system, hahaha.
One other thing: what language does RMXP speak(lol)? Is it C, C++, C#, Lite-C, Java, or somethiing else?
RMXP runs on RGSS, which is the Ruby Game Scripting System Enterbrain developed. So basically Ruby. Ruby is really friendly for beginners since it has a very clean and natural syntax.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
RMXP runs on RGSS, which is the Ruby Game Scripting System Enterbrain developed. So basically Ruby. Ruby is really friendly for beginners since it has a very clean and natural syntax.

You know what? I think we just could teach each other a thing or two. Believe what you want to believe, but I meant every word of this reply.

One other thing before I once again hit "Submit Reply": can I create a thread which is a directory for Atlantic Arts, since it turns out I now have TWO games in the pipeline?

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
You'd have to ask our moderator about that.

I just did and am currently awaiting his response.

UPDATE: It came back negative. Anyway, I'll go ahead and create the thread for the Gen V.V game, tentatively titled Steel and Ice Versions.

Last edited:
Back