• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~Darkness Falls~ *Dark Type Pokemon Fan Club*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
The above Mega is a nice sprite. However, going from bipedal to quadrupedal gives a loss of agility. I don't really see this fitting with Zoroark. It really needs its speed to be a sweeper. Also this Mega looks like it's getting more physically offensive instead of special.

The lower one is just a different color scheme. Megas are more than that.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
We'll from our knowledge we dont know for a fact that Megas will always be oh so different hehe.
Anyways i disagree being 4 legged doesnt always slow down a pokemon exactly how so? I mean the fastest animals in the world are 4 legged :) but i do see what ur saying and zoroark does go from a small little four legged fox to bipedal plus im sure it could still stand up :)
Edit: the second one has minor differences less fur increased muscle and more fur in the headline to create more aerodynamic features allowing more agility claws are also a bit larger and more muscles exposed for more powerful blows which may lead to increased attack and SpAtk. :)

Oh and this is my new wallpaper on my ipad. :)
260943r.jpg

I <3 it!

Last edited:

Lycanthropy

Years
Anyways i disagree being 4 legged doesnt always slow down a pokemon exactly how so? I mean the fastest animals in the world are 4 legged :) but i do see what ur saying and zoroark does go from a small little four legged fox to bipedal plus im sure it could still stand up :)
I <3 it!
I know, but this Zoroark just looks bulkier to me. Compared to its normal form it looks to have about these stat changes (base total +100):
Att: +45
Def: +40
SpA: +15
SpD: +30
Spd: -30
It then still has a base speed of 75, which isn't really slow, just slower.

Dedenne1

Years
OK! Haha
ok so Firstly Merry Christmas Everyone!
Ok since I should make a new topic before Friday I guess now is as good a time as ever!
Which dark types (in your opinion) are underrated and you would like to see more of in the games? & which dark types do you feel are overused?
Happy Chatting!
Btw Han you are correct it is bulkier which could increase both attack and SpAtk but its not too slow afterwords but I see it losing more like -15 speed rather than 30 :) but who knows!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Happy holidays you guys! Have a good one. :]

Mega Zoroark's bulkier design probably does mean a slow in speed as it gains more muscles and strength but this shouldn't affect it too drastically. Its other stats would probably get boosted up to match the loss and therefore make Zoroark stronger, just in other aspects. At worst, people would dislike the change in the mega's playstyle.

But I dunno, the design's off for what appeared to be a cunning thief and shapeshifter before. It seems like too much of a change, don't you guys think?

Which dark types (in your opinion) are underrated and you would like to see more of in the games? & which dark types do you feel are overused?

I think dark types are all pretty respected or at least have a decent fanbase but I'll throw my thoughts in on the ones that stand out.

For underrated, I'd say the pokemon that wouldn't be as appreciated either have better counterparts or less appealing design ideas. The first two that come to mind in this case would be either Stunky or Poochyena.

With Poochyena, most people assume 'it's a first route pokemon, those suck'. Personally, I think people should cut it some slack. For one, it's actually quite decent in battle with an array of physical moves and Intimidate. And secondly, its design. I've always been a fan of how wolfy and realistic Poochyena's design is compared to the walking trees or catastrophe bringers of Hoenn. Not that they're bad but for a dog pokemon, Poochyena's been done with a great transition from puppy to adult. So if you've never tried your hand at Poochyena, I suggest you ignore all the mixed opinions and try him out yourself. He's pretty good!

Then there's Stunky. I think the idea and its general appearance is what really throws people off the most. For example, what do you think of with the word skunk? The smell? Most likely. Overall, Skunky gets mixed feelings from people. I know for one that I love it but my friends used to go on about the exact opposite. But really, this one's great as well so I recommend picking one up. The poison/dark's unique as well if you're into originality and all that good stuff.

For overused, I'd say Tyranitar. Tyranitar's definitely a powerhouse with its strong stats and move but there's just so much hype surrounding it as a look-alike pseudo legendary. I will say that it does a wonderful job at making me think of Godzilla though. <3

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When it comes to this, I feel there's a lot, unfortunately.

Off top of my head, one would definitely have to be Absol. Although a lot of fans tend to like it due to how its appearance looks, it rarely seems to get actually used, whether it be in-game by non-playable characters or competitively, which sucks. It did get a mega-evolution form, but unfortunately, that did not seem to boost its usage much, which is much worse. I wish this weren't the case!

Even though it does have a mega-form already, I would love to see this Pokémon get an actual evolution in future, in hopes to perhaps, someday, it begins to incline. Due to similar reasons, I also feel that Mightyena is also slightly underrated, and believe would be great if it were to receive the same treatment and whatnot. It's a decent Pokémon, but could definitely be turned better if given the chance.

Dedenne1

Years
Happy holidays you guys! Have a good one. :]

Mega Zoroark's bulkier design probably does mean a slow in speed as it gains more muscles and strength but this shouldn't affect it too drastically. Its other stats would probably get boosted up to match the loss and therefore make Zoroark stronger, just in other aspects. At worst, people would dislike the change in the mega's playstyle.

But I dunno, the design's off for what appeared to be a cunning thief and shapeshifter before. It seems like too much of a change, don't you guys think?

I think dark types are all pretty respected or at least have a decent fanbase but I'll throw my thoughts in on the ones that stand out.

For underrated, I'd say the pokemon that wouldn't be as appreciated either have better counterparts or less appealing design ideas. The first two that come to mind in this case would be either Stunky or Poochyena.

With Poochyena, most people assume 'it's a first route pokemon, those suck'. Personally, I think people should cut it some slack. For one, it's actually quite decent in battle with an array of physical moves and Intimidate. And secondly, its design. I've always been a fan of how wolfy and realistic Poochyena's design is compared to the walking trees or catastrophe bringers of Hoenn. Not that they're bad but for a dog pokemon, Poochyena's been done with a great transition from puppy to adult. So if you've never tried your hand at Poochyena, I suggest you ignore all the mixed opinions and try him out yourself. He's pretty good!

Then there's Stunky. I think the idea and its general appearance is what really throws people off the most. For example, what do you think of with the word skunk? The smell? Most likely. Overall, Skunky gets mixed feelings from people. I know for one that I love it but my friends used to go on about the exact opposite. But really, this one's great as well so I recommend picking one up. The poison/dark's unique as well if you're into originality and all that good stuff.

For overused, I'd say Tyranitar. Tyranitar's definitely a powerhouse with its strong stats and move but there's just so much hype surrounding it as a look-alike pseudo legendary. I will say that it does a wonderful job at making me think of Godzilla though. <3
Haha ya the Megas could be better but quick searches can only come up with so much :)
Omg ya skunky is so looked over and Poocheyna i really havent used them much i think maybe i used mightenyena once but never skunky.

When it comes to this, I feel there's a lot, unfortunately.

Off top of my head, one would definitely have to be Absol. Although a lot of fans tend to like it due to how its appearance looks, it rarely seems to get actually used, whether it be in-game by non-playable characters or competitively, which sucks. It did get a mega-evolution form, but unfortunately, that did not seem to boost its usage much, which is much worse. I wish this weren't the case!

Even though it does have a mega-form already, I would love to see this Pokémon get an actual evolution in future, in hopes to perhaps, someday, it begins to incline. Due to similar reasons, I also feel that Mightyena is also slightly underrated, and believe would be great if it were to receive the same treatment and whatnot. It's a decent Pokémon, but could definitely be turned better if given the chance.

Thats actually true i love absol but when i found one i caught it and never used it it was rare and cool but the moveset wasnt great and its a no evolve poke. :/
Once again ya mightenyena is actually pretty powerful and has a decent moveset but its like that pokemon is so common so people dont use it often.

Is Skorpi underrated? I never used one and theres not many people hunting down that draping ik its a poweful pokemon with a good typing but i never see it in battles :/

Anyways...
Happy Holidays Everyone!

I hope i did get the chance to spam each and everyones visitor messages with my Merry Christmas! Enjoy the day everyone!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
The fact that I forgot there was another poison/dark already makes Drapion seem like one of those forgotten dark types. :(

Drapion's not bad but I think it got thrown into the plethora of new Gen IV pokemon and lost amongst them. There were quite a few other dark types available such as Houndoom or Honchkrow and those were probably favoured amongst more fans for the better design or typing.

Design-wise, I don't really like what they did. I know it's hard to give a small scorpion an evolution (unless they just made a bigger scorpion) but Drapion was rather awkward. The facial expression was more silly than menacing and its body structure looked uncomfortable. It's not entirely bad but I'm just not a huge fan on its design, sorry!

Battle-wise, I'd have no clue on how well it does since I've never really had interest training one. From the few I've gone against though, it can work in a competitive environment for all sorts of different purposes. I believe it can also set some hazards and its pretty strong physically? But I wouldn't remember since its been a while since I've done any form of battling. :p

Dedenne1

Years
I almost forgot it was friday with Christmas and all! So new pokemon!

Featured Dark Type Of the Week!
14jt66a.png

"Pangoro the Panda Pokemon, Although it posses a violent temperament, it won't put up with bullying. It uses the leaf in its mouth to sense the movements of its enemies."

For all of you Kalos Nuts out there Pangoro is next up on the list! He is the first dark type i caught in Kalos and shares a unique typing with the scraggy line he is a powerful fighting type with a dark side!

Here i will go in depth on pics, stats, design, and a lot of other things so take a look!

Arts and design:

Arts:
Spoiler:

Sprites:
Spoiler:

Wallpaper:
Spoiler:

Ok so after arts i thought id do overall statistics
Statistics, Ability, Moveset and Such:
Spoiler:

Discussion questions:
1) These are optional discussing other things other than these makes it more fun!
2) What is your opinion on his overall look?
3) Would you use him in competitive battling?
4) Do you overall like, love, or hate him? Why?
5) Was he on your Kalos team/any teams?

If you havent answered the current topic feel free to!

Lycanthropy

Years
I think especially Poochyena, since it's one of those beginning-of-the-game Pokémon. Also because Team Aqua and Magma are using a lot of them, without evolving them, which makes them very unchallenging opponents. Mightyena aren't that bad, they have good attack (a pity that bite and crunch were special in their debut generation) and Intimidate is a nice ability.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
That's basically the reason why most people won't even try using a Poochyena. :(

@ Pangoro:
As a design, I preferred the lighter colour schemes of Beartic and Ursaring but Pangoro itself isn't bad either. Instead of using a panda's real personality, Gamefreak attempted to create a much more active and aggressive panda fighter. This was also one of the many things that I liked, a twist on their usual portrayal. Sure, I'm all for pandas eating bamboo any other day but they'd of then ended up creating a clone of Slaking. We don't need anymore of those guys. :(

In battle, it's probably my favourite out of the two existing dark/fighting types. While Scrafty arguably has the upperhand offensively, I prefer Pangoro's more well-rounded meatshield stance. Whether it's hammering someone in the face, giving them a swift punch or a couple of jabs, Pangoro's able to tear through teams with moves inherited from both of its typings.

From here, there were a few interesting things I picked up. Pangoro's dex entry states things like how it holds a leaf in its mouth as opposed to a bamboo stalk or that it's of a violent nature but doesn't harm or intimidate others. And for that, I kudos Pangoro for the anti-bullying stance. Love it. :]

Overall thoughts? It's definitely not my favourite but I admire most aspects of its design, backstory and battling skills. While I have no idea how viable Pangoro is competitively, it's a pretty great in-game steamroller with a cute prevolution to match. :)

Years
Ooh Pangoro... nice choice for the new featured Pokemon! I really loved this thing and I recall using one in the main story in X, and with Iron Fist it can hit very hard with its punching moves. And then come OR/AS it gets more new toys to abuse the ability with, such as the ever-so-popular Elemental Punches trio.

Its Pokedex entries pointing out how it doesn't tolerate bullying makes it very different to most Dark-types, in that it's not sneaky or menacing but acts more like something that sticks up for its buddies.

As for appearance, it was nice to finally see a proper panda Pokemon. Spinda in my opinion, didn't look very panda-like at all.

Dedenne1

Years
That's basically the reason why most people won't even try using a Poochyena. :(

@ Pangoro:
As a design, I preferred the lighter colour schemes of Beartic and Ursaring but Pangoro itself isn't bad either. Instead of using a panda's real personality, Gamefreak attempted to create a much more active and aggressive panda fighter. This was also one of the many things that I liked, a twist on their usual portrayal. Sure, I'm all for pandas eating bamboo any other day but they'd of then ended up creating a clone of Slaking. We don't need anymore of those guys. :(

In battle, it's probably my favourite out of the two existing dark/fighting types. While Scrafty arguably has the upperhand offensively, I prefer Pangoro's more well-rounded meatshield stance. Whether it's hammering someone in the face, giving them a swift punch or a couple of jabs, Pangoro's able to tear through teams with moves inherited from both of its typings.

From here, there were a few interesting things I picked up. Pangoro's dex entry states things like how it holds a leaf in its mouth as opposed to a bamboo stalk or that it's of a violent nature but doesn't harm or intimidate others. And for that, I kudos Pangoro for the anti-bullying stance. Love it. :]

Overall thoughts? It's definitely not my favourite but I admire most aspects of its design, backstory and battling skills. While I have no idea how viable Pangoro is competitively, it's a pretty great in-game steamroller with a cute prevolution to match. :)

Ooh Pangoro... nice choice for the new featured Pokemon! I really loved this thing and I recall using one in the main story in X, and with Iron Fist it can hit very hard with its punching moves. And then come OR/AS it gets more new toys to abuse the ability with, such as the ever-so-popular Elemental Punches trio.

Its Pokedex entries pointing out how it doesn't tolerate bullying makes it very different to most Dark-types, in that it's not sneaky or menacing but acts more like something that sticks up for its buddies.

As for appearance, it was nice to finally see a proper panda Pokemon. Spinda in my opinion, didn't look very panda-like at all.

Thanks i love pangoro haha

Its really surprising that a dark type and a little bit of a scary pokemon like Pangoro has a sweet side :) hes really tough and is mean when needed but hes got that side that no other dark type really possesses.

True those punch moves in Oras help him a lot and will pretty much help you own any foe haha. Is spinda really supposed to be a panda? lol it doesnt look it at all

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
Pangoro is really cool, but unfortunately I didn't get to use one. It seems pretty powerful and I like the panda look, now I just have to acquire one and use it :P I noticed it has a nice movepool to work with, which I like since versatility is definitely a preference for Pokémon I use.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In terms of design and whatnot, I love Pangoro.

Pangoro is designed after a bear of sorts, I believe, and it does look exactly like it! Its overall body is rather simplistic, as they haven't added too much of features as they had done with other Pokémon in the past, and I feel that's a great step they took. In my eyes (and I'm sure many others'), simple-looking Pokémon are easy to get attached with (few examples of this would be Charizard, Blastoise, Pikachu, and so forth).

When it comes to competitive, I'm not sure if I could say much things, unfortunately, as I haven't used it before. Looking at its Dex, it could learn some decent attacks, but its stats doesn't seem to be too great, which might be a reason as to why we don't see this Pokémon being used a lot in competitive scene. If it weren't for that, I'm sure the story would have been different! Hopefully, they will fix it up at some point when they give Pangoro a mega-evolution form.

Dedenne1

Years
Alright so since its been awhile i got another topic since i like to do one before the featured pokemon!

What is your favorite secondary typing for a Dark-type?
I thought it was a good question and it doesnt have to be one that exists currently. Id say a dark and fairy would be a cute and cool combonation!

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
Got a new tablet, woot! Should hold me till I get my charger back.
Anyways, I find Nuzleaf a bit of an underrated Dark type. To me, the design is a little awkward and because of that it can be forgettable. Poochyena and Stunky are both lovely too; Mightyena is one of my favourite Pokémon. As for Pangoro, when I first saw I was saying "Please don't outclass Scrafty" but I think the design is cool. Due to my Scrafty fangirling, I was trying to use Pangoro in Y but I didn't like using it. For favourite secondary typing, I love Dark combined with Steel, Fighting or Flying. Dark/Ghost is awesome too!

Years
Oh, snap why am I not here already? Oh well, Im signing up!

Username: Sven
Reason you love dark types: There's no light without darkness, no? Anyway, I like Dark Pokemon cos I see them as peaceful dark creatures just looking for a shadow where they can rest.
3 partner pokemon: Ugh, three only? Ok lets see, Umbreon, Sharpedo and Mightyena and Absol, but honestly I love most of Dark Pokemon lol
I cant choose two from Absol, Mightyena and Sharpedo ugh. You chould add an option like, if you make 10 posts here you can add one more Pokemon lol.

I'll go with Fire. Dark and fire really kinda fit each other. Plus there is nothing more intimidating seeing a fire breathing creature approaching from shadows, read, Dragon.

Dedenne1

Years
Got a new tablet, woot! Should hold me till I get my charger back.
Anyways, I find Nuzleaf a bit of an underrated Dark type. To me, the design is a little awkward and because of that it can be forgettable. Poochyena and Stunky are both lovely too; Mightyena is one of my favourite Pokémon. As for Pangoro, when I first saw I was saying "Please don't outclass Scrafty" but I think the design is cool. Due to my Scrafty fangirling, I was trying to use Pangoro in Y but I didn't like using it. For favourite secondary typing, I love Dark combined with Steel, Fighting or Flying. Dark/Ghost is awesome too!
Depends if your more offensive or defensive with Pangoro or Scrafty :p
Great u got a new charger glad to see u back on!

Oh, snap why am I not here already? Oh well, Im signing up!

Username: Sven
Reason you love dark types: There's no light without darkness, no? Anyway, I like Dark Pokemon cos I see them as peaceful dark creatures just looking for a shadow where they can rest.
3 partner pokemon: Ugh, three only? Ok lets see, Umbreon, Sharpedo and Mightyena and Absol, but honestly I love most of Dark Pokemon lol
I cant choose two from Absol, Mightyena and Sharpedo ugh. You chould add an option like, if you make 10 posts here you can add one more Pokemon lol.

I'll go with Fire. Dark and fire really kinda fit each other. Plus there is nothing more intimidating seeing a fire breathing creature approaching from shadows, read, Dragon.

Omg its Sven! haha
I love ur reason haha
Hey 3 is more than most clubs lol plus i gotta search for a sprite and tinypic everything lol.
Umbreon is great but u prob know that from my sig! And sharpedo is a fast cool dark type and i like its typing with water a lot! Mightenyena is actually a powrful pokemon i used it in emerald and it was a lot better than Shiftrey was to me! Omg absol too lol. I could add once u have 20 posts here u can get another but people would have to keep track of their own posts i got enough work already haha. Fire and dark is a great combo thats why i love mega Houndoom!

Years
Depends if your more offensive or defensive with Pangoro or Scrafty :p
Great u got a new charger glad to see u back on!

Omg its Sven! haha
I love ur reason haha
Hey 3 is more than most clubs lol plus i gotta search for a sprite and tinypic everything lol.
Umbreon is great but u prob know that from my sig! And sharpedo is a fast cool dark type and i like its typing with water a lot! Mightenyena is actually a powrful pokemon i used it in emerald and it was a lot better than Shiftrey was to me! Omg absol too lol. I could add once u have 20 posts here u can get another but people would have to keep track of their own posts i got enough work already haha. Fire and dark is a great combo thats why i love mega Houndoom!

Lol thanks :D

Alright 3 is fair enough. I had to try dont blame me, its hard to choose 10, let alone 3 haha.

I choose most of my favorites by their appearance, but yeah, they're pretty powerful :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back