• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you use your Riolu?

Years
  • Obligatory. Reposting my old thread.

On Iron Mountain in D/P/Pt you recieve an egg that contains Riolu. Did you bother using him, evolving into Lucario by any chance? If yes, was he a strong part of your team, that you could rely on him? If no, did you just put him on Box and didn't even bother using him in future?

Personally, when I bulit my dream team, I haven't used him, because there was no need to. I had already a strong enough team to take on further gyms.

Years
  • I think on my initial play via my brother's Diamond, I did use Riolu and subsequently evolved him. Unfortunately, my brother snatched the game before I finished, which led to me getting my Pearl.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I used it a few times in my battles.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I usually have an Infernape, so I don't bother with Lucario. If I picked any other starter I'll go with it.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • No I didn't! By that time, my team was already well established so I didn't really have a place for it, despite it's potential as a Lucario. I also had Infernape, so I wasn't in desperate need of a fighting type either which didn't help the poor thing's case, haha. If I were to do a re-run someday then I'd definitely make room for it in my team and train it up.

Years
  • I can't remember what my original team was, bar for Luxray and Empoleon, but mine was stable at that point, and Lucario never really held my interest until Gen VI (and even, I can do without one on my team). Lucario feels a little like Pikachu, where I feel it was pushed in my face; all it does is drive me off x.x;;.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I'm just going on first playthroughs of each game. I never even used lucario until Pokemon X (because of his kickass mega evolution); at the point in the game where wee even get riolu in D/P/Pt it would be a waste of time for me to train him anyways. Yes, I was that guy.

Sukyandaru

kimi ni baby sweet berry love
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2019
    I don't think I did, because at that point in the game I already had Pokemon at much higher levels and wouldn't have been bothered to train him to a usable level. I can't really remember what exactly my team was, though.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    I used it and it became my best pokemon. Completely destroyed everyone with it using dragon pulse and aura sphere until my cousin deleted aura sphere for an hm THAT I DIDN'T NEED along with my other moves for hms I didn't need on him. So most of the time I just dragon pulsed stuff.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I'd have liked to but I don't think I had the energy or effort to do all the extra grinding and training it would take to add a Riolu to my team that far into the game. That being said though, I really would of liked if they'd changed things up a bit and swapped the early Togepi egg and the Riolu around. Riolu's a great fighting type to have on any team but I think having it introduced so late in the game really put a lot of people off from using it. :(

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    When I first played Diamond, I didn't go further than the left cave in Iron Island before challenging the gym - I eventually solved the Riley plot after I had about 8 level 100 pokémon. I used it a few times - usually having a type overlap with Infernape or Empoleon, which made Cynthia the toughest champion for me.

Might use it next time, when I'm going to use Turtwig so I can go towards completing the national pokédex (wi-fi disappearing means I can get every non-event pokémon in the first 493 bar Glameow and Purugly

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I did in my first playthrough of the game! I quite enjoyed using Lucario during Diamond. I don't think I used it in any other run of DPPt (but I did use it in B2W2 I think). It was pretty useful.

Anime Sucks

I've played those games so many times and I remember that I used it at some point. It was maybe once or twice.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Nope, actually. I already have my team finalized upon reaching Canalave.

However I did purposely wait for the Riolu during one of my playthroughs. It proved to be helpful as expected.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Heck yes I did!

I couldn't wait to get the little guy, and I took care to raise him into a Lucario. He became my best Pokemon and took on most of Cynthia's team.

Raburesu

Technology is incredible!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Although I like Riolu's design better than Lucario's, I did raise the little one from the Egg Riley gifted me~ With Aura Sphere, Earthquake, Rock Slide and Dark Pulse, it was quite the little contender in my first playthrough of Diamond. :)

It was a boy, but I named it Lucahjin :pink_smile: Also, I never understood what made it half Steel, besides the very small spikes...

Back