• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pick a flag, any flag!

Pick a flag, any flag!

• Silver fern: black and white

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Silver fern with the Southern Cross: red white and blue

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Koru

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Silver fern with the Southern Cross: black white and blue

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • No! Keep the old flag!

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
Years
0Aeflo5.png

The New Zealand government has decided the four finalist flags to be chosen from in a referendum later this year. The final flag will have a showdown with the current flag:

640px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.png

... again by referendum in March 2016 to see which flag will fly to represent New Zealand for years to come. Learn more at: https://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging...g-your-chance-to-decide/the-four-alternatives

Do you have a preference for any (including the original) flags? Do you have a strong opinion on the New Zealand flag debate? Is it worth caring about?

For those of us not from or in New Zealand, are you happy with your own country's flag or are there changes you'd like seen made to it? Do the designs, symbols and colour of flags interest you or are flags simply a non-consequential aspect of nationalism and people just care too darn much?

Years
The first two designs look really nice, wouldn't mind horribly seeing them around.

My only complaint about this really would be if this was going to cost a lot of money for the government that could be better spent elsewhere, although I don't see how it could.

I'm assuming that this is just an aesthetic change and not succeeding from the Commonwealth though, that would be a somewhat different kettle of fish.

Years
I think each country ought to have a distinctive flag chosen by or representing the people of that country so having the British Union Jack in their flag makes it seem a little derivative, a little like a holdover from a previous era of colonization and imperialism.

ErGuk09.gif

(I really wanted an excuse to use this gif.)

I like each of the proposals better than the current one, but I'm not from New Zealand so my opinion on this isn't really important. I'd be curious to know if/when a new flag is chosen how people will react to it. Will there be die-hard nationalists who will insist on sticking with the old flag? I feel like that kind of thing happens sometimes. *cough* America *cough*

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I like the 3rd one the most. idk the black&white swirl looks cool to me

Is there a reason that New Zealand is holding a vote to change its flag though?

Years
I like the 3rd one the most. idk the black&white swirl looks cool to me

Is there a reason that New Zealand is holding a vote to change its flag though?

Because union jacks are so derivative. Also it looks ultra similar to the Aussie flag.

Canada had the same thing going on in the 60's and look at the awesome flag we've ended up with today :P

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I'm all in for second design, the elements sync perfectly.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
Years
I am loving all 4 of those flags' designs. I picked the first one, but honestly they all look vastly better.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
the koru symolizes new life, growth, strength and peace.
the fern can symbolize magic, fascination, confidence, shelter, discretion, reverie and a secret bond of love.
Blue often represents freedom, vigilance, perseverance, justice, prosperity, peace, and/or patriotism.
Red often represents courage, revolution, hardiness, blood, and/or valor.
White often represents peace, purity, mountain snow, and/or innocence. A simple white flag represents surrender.
Black often represents determination, ethnic heritage, and/or defeating one's enemies.
Red, White and Blue together often represent revolution and freedom
f79.gif

viva la revolution!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 4, 2016
If I really had to pick, I'd choose the red, white & blue silver fern flag.
But seriously, the government gives people 4 choices, and 3 of said choices include the silver fern on the flag? No wonder many people want to keep the current flag.

They had some very good designs in the official list (such as the Koru Fin flag or the Red Peak flag), why'd they pick these ones?

Back