• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

writer's-blocked girl help

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
  • Any of a number of things. I personally like leaving my work alone for awhile and going back to it later because writer's block (for me, at least) tends to indicate that I'm wearing myself out over this idea.

Sometimes, I also look for inspiration. Look at art, listen to music, watch something, go out for a walk, read a book -- anything that isn't writing.

Yeah, it may seem like you're not being productive if you just leave your work alone, but for me, sometimes, I just need to give my brain a break for a moment.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Agreed. You can't force out the text or it'll end up being bad.

I'd suggest reading or watching some pictures and drawings that preferrably somehow relate to the subject you want to write about. That way you might get some ideas, maybe flashes about how you want your characters to be, what kind of settings you would like to put them in and what should happen there... I sometimes get those "flashes" when I read something exceptionally annoying. Something that makes me think "man, I want to do my story sompletely differently" or "I hate these stories with the same old things every time! I want to write something new" (of course, writing something new is hardly possible if there are millions and millions of people out there who write and thus everything has already been done).

Or, well, if you really want to force yourself to write something, that may be a solution, too. You can try writing just stuff that happens to pop in your mind even if it doesn't make any sense. There is a slight chance you will end up with an idea... At least, it happened to me once. Why couldn't it happen to you, too?

burningfoot

Prepare Yourself!
    Years
  • You just need to find something that can provide inspiration OR a place that you can go to clear your head and just think on specific things that will need new ideas. I found a bench that I go to called my "inspiration bench" (How unoriginal?) and I sit there just thinking about my story, what's happened and what's going to happen and then I gan ideas on how it gets to the end. In fact I'm going to include my "inspiration bench" in one of my stories.

Hope I helped.

Back