• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen 7 Kanto Game

Should we have a Kanto rebirth?

• OOOH YEAH!

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Nah..

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • Yes - however tweak it slightly and change things.

Votes: 24 40.7%

• Total voters
Years
  • Despite the exclusive games coming out for the New 3DS, I still wouldn't call it a next-generation handheld since it's still part of the 3DS family. I could picture 7th Gen having New 3DS-enhanced features, sorta like what 5th Gen had if you played it on a DSi.

As for picturing a "re-remake" of the original Kanto games, it could be a possibility if they really want to commemorate the 20th anniversary. But still, I just hope that they get the Kalos third version/sequel out already.

Gary29

The very best, like no one ever was
    Years
  • Kanto remakes, if not Sinnoh remakes, would be great. I've always wanted to get more story centering on Team Rocket, especially during Giovanni's time as leader.

Years
  • I don't really care if it happens or not, as I know there are a lot of people that would like it to happen.

But if it were to happen, I wonder if they'd make it take a more linear path that forces you to go in specific directions, like they've been doing since Generation V, what with Kanto being a region with multiple paths.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    A DPPt remake seems more likely considering we've just had a Gen. 3 remake with ORAS. Not to mention Kanto is still reachable if you play HGSS, which can be done with a 3DS.

And, guess what else can be played on a 3DS? DPP, that's what!

Besides, Gen 2 Kanto is quite different from Gen 1 Kanto. To say that they are the same is to say that BW and B2W2 are the same games. And, the last iteration of Gen 1 (FRLG) is still older than DPP, anyways, and you remake older games before you remake newer ones.

Reactions: stp
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    And, guess what else can be played on a 3DS? DPP, that's what!

Besides, Gen 2 Kanto is quite different from Gen 1 Kanto. To say that they are the same is to say that BW and B2W2 are the same games. And, the last iteration of Gen 1 (FRLG) is still older than DPP, anyways, and you remake older games before you remake newer ones.

That's true. I guess I'd just rather see Sinnoh in 3D than I would Kanto. I just get the feeling that they're not going to remake a game that's already been remade once.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • That's the thing you have to remember. Yes, you can argue that they should remake Kanto before Sinnoh, the question is: will they? And with Kanto having so many games already (4 sets of games), it's possible they will just skip that, and don't be surprised if that happens.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    That's true. I guess I'd just rather see Sinnoh in 3D than I would Kanto. I just get the feeling that they're not going to remake a game that's already been remade once.

But, Sinnoh was technically already in (partial) 3D. That's more than Gen 1 Kanto can say (which, BTW, still doesn't have a P/S Split outside of ROM hacks).

I don't see anything wrong with remaking something that's already been remade, especially if said remake is extremely old and outdated now. There are many fans who weren't even born yet when FRLG came out!

That's the thing you have to remember. Yes, you can argue that they should remake Kanto before Sinnoh, the question is: will they? And with Kanto having so many games already (4 sets of games), it's possible they will just skip that, and don't be surprised if that happens.

The only reason Kanto has four sets of games is because it got a sequel, and both prequel and sequel were remade. Unova will have equally as many sets of games when it's eventually remade.

And, I can't see them skipping over Kanto simply because it's the first region, and I can't see GF allowing the original games to be forgotten.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Yellow wasn't a sequel it was just gen 1 with a different starter and some other minor differences.

Apotheosis

I would honestly like to see them remake Sinnoh before we get another repeat of Kanto and TR.

... Unless, of course, they revamped the story as well. Did a BW2 thing, set after the Johto games timeline. That would be interesting. See what became of Kanto after the Johto deal.

stp

ShootThePuck
    Years
  • I'm curious...how did you come to the conclusion that Unova would have just as many games as Kanto? And for that matter, why Unova of all regions? And....sequel? Refresh my memory here, I'm not a Gen I player in any fashion, but what was Gen I's sequel? Yellow? I always thought that was more of a separate game that still took place in Kanto.

He's probably assuming they would remake BW and BW2. And Kanto's "sequel" is Johto.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Outdated and old? Perhaps. Still playable? Very much so, and this extends to FR/LG, as well. There comes a point where remakes of remakes start to get really old and stale.

By that logic, ORAS should've never been made. If FRLG are still "perfectly playable," then so are RSE. They're from the exact same Generation after all, right?

I'm curious...how did you come to the conclusion that Unova would have just as many games as Kanto? And for that matter, why Unova of all regions? And....sequel? Refresh my memory here, I'm not a Gen I player in any fashion, but what was Gen I's sequel? Yellow? I always thought that was more of a separate game that still took place in Kanto.

Gen 1's sequel was Gen 2. GSC were to RBY what B2W2 were to BW. That's two sets of games each for both regions. The only reason why Kanto has more is because both of its games have been remade.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • I'm going to say this: with the 3D leap, I feel every game should be a valid contender for a remake. That third dimension changes ALOT. Just look at how much Brendan and May's characters were fleshed out thanks to being able to see their facial expressions? Or being able to see Mt. Chimney in the distance on Route 102? Personally, I'm wishing HGSS had waited until now to come out.

That being said, I do think Kanto and Johto, having had their remakes are due for a BRAND NEW ADVENTURE set in their regions. I don't mind another remake, but I would prefer something original and new set there. I mean, enough time has passed in universe for Red to realistically be an adult (he's at least age 16 in his BW2 appearance). Good opportunity for a changing of the guard.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    That being said, I do think Kanto and Johto, having had their remakes are due for a BRAND NEW ADVENTURE set in their regions. I don't mind another remake, but I would prefer something original and new set there. I mean, enough time has passed in universe for Red to realistically be an adult (he's at least age 16 in his BW2 appearance). Good opportunity for a changing of the guard.

ORAS and its timeline split may have killed the chances of that happening. There's nothing for a HGSS sequel to be a sequel to, because the pre-XY timelines no longer exist in GF's mind.

Besides, there were a boatload of continuity screw-ups just between FRLG and HGSS, and I can't see a sequel (really, threequel) doing much to improve on that. The originals need to be fixed before anything else can be done with them, IMO.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2016
    I don't see the need for a Kanto game for a good long while. You've been able to visit in four generations.

X/Y was even ripe with Kanto nostalgia. Sleeping Snorlax, choice of Kanto starter, shorts kid etc.

But who am I kidding? If they announced a remake I'd end up buying it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Slight flaw in that logic: FR/LG are already remakes, and you can already traverse and explore Kanto in HG/SS and FR/LG, is what I'm getting at. Hoenn is perfectly acceptable given that it was a region that was never remade in the first place (until recently, obviously). So tell me, how long can you go on remaking a remake until it gets to the point where its no longer enjoyable because you've already remade it so many times over, already?

Doesn't matter. Un-remade Hoenn is on the exact same technology level as remade Kanto (again, Gen 1, NOT Gen 2), so how is one, somehow, more in need of updating than the other? It's just a hard fact that remakes, themselves, will eventually become outdated, especially if they were deeply flawed to begin with (like FRLG were).

As much of a Hoenn fan as I am, I don't expect another Hoenn-based game for at least another half-decade, if it even crosses the minds of GameFreak at all.

Half a decade is still less time than we've gone without a Kanto-based game. GF seems to be mostly against revisiting older regions outside of remakes, however.

The point I'm getting at is that it really doesn't make sense and it has never been done (so far, but who knows?) to remake a game that has already been remade.

Never been done? So, the recent Resident Evil re-remake was just a figment of people's imaginations, then? Re-remakes happen more often than you think.

Now, would it make more sense to feature Kanto in some sort of future Pokemon game for the Wii U? Now that I can get behind, especially since the 20th anniversary of R/B/Y (if I'm correct on that) is next year, and that would be the most likely move, since Kanto honestly should've gotten exposure as a console game in the first place, but whatever.

Putting a main series game on a console? Yeah, nope. The most we'll get is a spinoff game with main series compatibility, like the Stadium games or Colosseum/XD.

In order for a Kanto "remake of a region that's already been remade and featured in four games" game to be even remotely interesting, the region has to be flipped on its head entirely, you do realize that, right?

Good. Gen 1's story badly needs to be fleshed-out and developed.

If I wanted to go through the same old thing that I did in HG/SS and FR/LG, I'd just play HG/SS and FR/LG.

Good luck playing FRLG on your shiny new 3DS and having fun with Wonder Trade... Oh, wait.

You simply just can't argue this for Hoenn given that it has only been featured in one generation of games: R/S/E. That's it. If Hoenn had be remade as many times as Kanto did, I would agree with you 120%, but that's the big difference, here.

That's because Hoenn never got a direct sequel. Its story began and ended with RSE.

How are you going to make Kanto more different and more interesting than you did in FR/LG? You already re-made the game after all, your only option is to re-make it with...the same features, + Battle Frontier, I guess?

Well, they could remake Yellow, for starters. Following Pikachu, Jessie & James, harder Gym Leaders, Surfing Pikachu game, etc. They could also expand the Pokédex and let us, at least, have all of the cros-Gen evolutions of Gen 1 Pokémon from Gens 2, 4, and 6. There would also probably be a subplot involving Mega Evolution.

In fact, let me just repost a list I made eons ago (so it might be slightly outdated):

My Ideal Yellow Remake:

1. Day/Night
    2. Berry Trees
    3. All of the first 251 Pokémon in the Regional Dex, plus their evos and babies from Gens 3, 4, and 6
    4. Pokémon Amie
    5. GB Sounds available near start of game
    6. Moss Rock added to Viridian Forest and Ice Rock added to Seafoam Islands (for Leafeon and Glaceon)
    7. New electromagnetic area added near Power Plant (for Magnezone)
    8. Starter Pikachu gets a Light Ball around Cerulean or Vermillion (around the time it started to become obsolete in the original)
    9. Rival's Eevee can now evolve into either Espeon, Umbreon, or Leafeon in addition to the original three Eeveelutions (couldn't think of a way to fit either Glaceon or Sylveon onto his team)
    10. Jessie and James are a double battle and have more appearances after Silph Co.
    11. Level curve is the same as Yellow, but with two major exceptions--Koga's ace is now Level 42, and Sabrina's is Level 45 (they were both Level 50 in the original, way too high for that point of the game)
    12. Pikachu can now learn Surf straight from the HM
    13. The VS Seeker from FRLG returns
    14. The Fame Checker from FRLG also returns, but now has a reward for completing it
    15. The gift Kanto Starters are all holding Mega Stones
    16. The Sevii Islands return, but are expanded and fleshed out into a real region (the extra islands that were cut from FRLG would also be included)
    17. The encounter with Lorelei in Icefall Cave would be a tag battle against Petrel and Proton
    18. Prof. Rowan shows up in the postgame and gives you a Sinnoh Starter
    19. Gym Leader and Elite Four rematches (they'll all have Megas on their rematch teams)
    20. All Elite Four members appear in the postgame on certain days of the week in a Double Battle:
    - Bruno and Brawly at Mt. Ember
    - Agatha and either Prof. Oak or Bertha at Pokémon Tower
    - Lorelei and Lance at Navel Rock (couldn't think of any other friend for Lorelei, and HGSS already did Lance and Clair; plus, I really ship Lance/Lorelei)
    21. Eusine appears in Celadon City, and after you speak to him, the Legendary Dogs will start roaming Kanto
    22. The following later Gen characters all have cameos: Silver, Janine, Clair, Karen, maybe Alder or Diantha (I'm not a fan of Cynthia, and she's appeared in way too many games, IMO)
    23. Lugia and Ho-Oh return to Navel Rock, but are no longer event-exclusive
    24. Lugia's connection to Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres is fleshed-out
    25. Mewtwo's backstory is fleshed-out
    26. Either Dialga/Palkia/Giratina or Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem are all catchable in a postgame area (just like Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza in HGSS)
    27. The (lame) Battle Tower near Seven Island is replaced with the Hoenn Battle Frontier (just like HGSS had the Sinnoh Battle Frontier)
    28. Unselected player character appears as a secondary rival with Clefairy as their starter (like Ethan/Lyra in HGSS)
    29. The following get Megas (among others)--Raichu (Electric/Fairy), the Nidoroyals (Poison/Ground), Clefable (Fairy), Vileplume (Grass/Poison), Ninetales (Fire/Ghost), Arcanine (Fire/Dragon), Machamp (Fighting), Victreebel (Grass/Poison), Golem (Rock/Ground), Rapidash (Fire/Flying), Exeggutor (Grass), Starmie (Water/Psychic), Mr. Mime (Psychic/Fairy), Jynx (Ice/Fairy), Tauros (Normal), Lapras (Water), Omastar (Rock/Water), Kabutops (Rock/Water), Dragonite (Dragon/Fairy), Crobat (Poison/Flying), Bellossom (Grass/Fairy), Azumarill (Water/Fairy), Quagsire (Water/Ground), Slowking (Water/Psychic), Miltank (Normal), Ambipom (Normal/Fighting), Mismagius (Ghost/Fairy), Weavile (Dark/Ice), Rhyperior (Ground/Rock), Togekiss (Fairy/Flying), Yanmega (Bug/Dragon), and Mamoswine (Ground/Ice)

As for the Rival's Eevee...

1. Eevee => Vaporeon (replaces Cloyster): Lose to him in Oak's Lab
    2. Eevee => Jolteon (replaces Magnezone): After beating him in Oak's lab, defeat his Eevee on Route 22 with a Special attack
    3. Eevee => Flareon (replaces Ninetales): After beating him in Oak's lab, either skip or lose the battle on Route 22 during the day
    4. Eevee => Espeon (replaces Alakazam): After beating him in Oak's lab, either skip or lose the battle on Route 22 during the morning
    5. Eevee => Umbreon (replaces Tyranitar): After beating him in Oak's lab, either skip or lose the battle on Route 22 during the night
    6. Eevee => Leafeon (replaces Exeggutor): After beating him in Oak's lab, defeat his Eevee on Route 22 with a Physical attack

I just don't see your own logic that "ORAS should've never been made because R/S/E is playable". Yes, they are, but R/S/E we never remakes of an original game and therefore never got that treatment. FR/LG were remakes of originals, HG/SS featured the original region.

So? Something being a remake doesn't automatically make it "more playable" than an equally old game that wasn't one. In fact, looking at it from a pure technology/gameplay standpoint, Gen 1 needs it more than Gen 3 because FRLG had fewer features than RSE (like a clock, for starters).

Uh......really? I don't consider Gen 2 so much a sequel as it is just a separate game that just managed to have Kanto shoehorned in it (which still counts), but...I suppose.

The events of Gen 2 are a direct continuation of the events from Gen 1. Team Rocket has been resurrected in Giovanni's absence and is threatening Johto. You hear constant references to how they were brought down by another kid 3 years ago.

And, Kanto, itself, has changed quite a bit--Pokémon Tower has been replaced with a Radio Tower, Cinnabar Island erupted and left Blaine without a Gym, Blue has taken over Viridian Gym, Koga got promoted to the E4 and left his daughter in charge of Fuchsia Gym, the E4 saw a large turnover of members, the Power Plant is no longer abandoned, and (if you're playing GSC) Cerulean Cave collapsed onto itself.

Yes, Gen 2 is DEFINITELY a sequel. No, you may not like it as a sequel, but I have a feeling that you don't care that much about stories, anyways. (Hence, why you seem to think that Gens 1 and 2 are the same games.)

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Yes, you're right on that! Hence is why FR/LG was made so that it would be on the same level technologically speaking, as R/S/E.

Problem is that RSE's standards are horribly outdated now.

If GF seems to be against visiting older regions outside of remakes, then what makes you think a Kanto remake will be likely if they already had remakes to begin with

If GF doesn't like revisiting older regions outside of remakes, then how else will Gen 1/Kanto be revisited? I can't see GF leaving the Gen that started it all behind to rot and be forgotten.

Thanks but, you do realize I was talking specifically about the Pokemon series and not the video game franchise as a whole, right?

You didn't specify at all.

Glad that we agree on something! However, that's exactly my problem on why there probably won't be remakes, because I'm struggling to currently see what can be done to improve Kanto more than what it is currently.

There is A LOT that could be done. I posted a giant list of things that could be changed. Gen 1 just isn't something you're particularly invested in, so you don't care one way or another. (And, it's true, admit it!)

Do you not own an old DS anywhere? What about ROMs? They're pretty much all over the internet, especially nowadays. It's not hard to play a FR/LG ROM and have the exact same experience as you would with a physical copy.

Yes, people should have to dig up an outdated handheld or use less-than-legal ROMs just to experience Gen 1. REAL accessible to the kids, there. :rolleyes2:

But why Kanto would be remade again after being remade just seems illogical to me

Because said remake is 11 years old and horribly out of date.

A lot of what you're saying though does sound similar to what HG/SS already has, sans an additional few legendaries and feature changes. But that's just looking from the outside in.

No, it isn't. HGSS are Gen 2 remakes. Gen 2 =/= Gen 1.

That doesn't seem like a huge change aside from Team Rocket being resurrected, but that's just my perspective. You're free to disagree, these seem like very minor changes that don't really affect the gameplay in and out of itself.

See, here, you've pretty much admitted that you care more about gameplay than story. :P

Although, I'd argue that these are pretty significant gameplay changes, too. You go through Kanto in a different order than you did in Gen 1, and fighting Blue and the Gen 2 E4 isn't the same experience as fighting Giovanni and the Gen 1 E4. The returning NPCs all have different teams, too. I also struggle to see how Pokémon Tower, which played a significant role in Gen 1, getting replaced by a Radio Tower isn't a huge change. And, if you're playing the original GSC, Viridian Forest and Cerulean Cave are nowhere to be found.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I'd much prefer to revisit the Kanto region over a Sinnoh remake. Kanto is still one of my favorite regions, and while we did get Kanto remakes with FR/LG, it'd be nice to see the region get a full 3D, next-gen treatment. It'd also be nice to see them add more enhancements to the games. FR/LG didn't really add much besides the enhanced graphics and the Sevii Islands. It'd be great to see them enhance the story, perhaps tying it into some of the later games, the same way ORAS did.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    How does that matter? You're still exploring Kanto, are you? Kanto is part of Johto, isn't it? For the sake of this argument, if G/S were indeed Gen I's sequel, and Crystal was the third game to said sequel, and FR/LG are the remakes of the originals with Gen III mechanics, and HG/SS are the remakes of the sequels which all featured Kanto, then how many times more we do have to explore Kanto for the sake of "technology" and "features"? Hoenn at least had an excuse for doing so given it was like 12 or so years old and again, never had a remake.

You really don't get it. Just because one game has Kanto doesn't mean it's the exact same as another game with Kanto. It can have a completely different story and gameplay elements, which is exactly the case with GSC/HGSS. It's your prerogative if you don't see them as sequels but instead just further remakes of RBY/FRLG, but that doesn't make it so.

And, for the record, I don't own a 3DS or any of the newer games, and I'm pretty content with just playing RBY/GSC (and hacks of them) on emulators. I can accept that I'm an old fan with waning interest in the franchise that's been left behind in the dust, although that doesn't mean that I have to like it.

Colorado290

Lazy Grump
    Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2015
    Eventually, Kanto will get remade, but the thing is, I think we and Game Freak are becoming too dependent on remakes to begin with. We've actually come full circle, really, because once RS were made, we got FRLG, once Platinum was made, we got HGSS, and now with X and Y, we have ORAS, and now we're back to square one where we want another Kanto Remake on top of a Sinnoh remake. And do we wait a few years before we want a Unova remake? But wait, we'll need another GSC remake, and eventually Hoenn again, and Kalos, and Kanto again, REMAKES GALORE!

My point is that Game Freak needs to stop focusing so much on remakes. Yeah, there are fan favorites out there, but you don't have to remake EVERY SINGLE ONE. If they kept it like a remake between a generation, like how we got ORAS in gen 6 instead of 5, I'd be somewhat more okay with it. But again, remakes shouldn't become a habit, really, otherwise it feels shallow and predictable.

I'm going to play any game GF makes regardless, but I still think that instead of remakes, they should try to focus their endeavors on new ideas. Maybe expand upon previous ones like BW2 did in Gen 5, or make an entirely new region supporting older generations (Colosseum with the heavy Johto influence comes to mind). Basically, stop REMAKING and start EXPANDING, is what I'm getting at. Kanto does eventually need to be remade, but for now I think we'll be okay without it.

Although, I won't deny that the 20th anniversary coming up does raise some eyebrows. I'm not going to place false hope in getting a game with every single region in it, because I know that there's only so much space inside those tiny 3DS cartridges, and that would be a LOT to make 3D. However, I do hold faith in something going down involving Kanto in some way. Guess time will tell :/

Back