• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen We're glitching our games all over the world for Mew!

• Thread starter Pokémon Trainer 188
  • Start date

Pokémon Trainer 188

We all know about the Mew glitch in the Gen I games, I'm sure we've seen it multiple times, but have you ever attempted to reproduce it?

If so were you successful?

Personally, I seen it been done multiple times, but I've never done it!

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Oh that glitch? That's nothing; there's a variant of it you can use that allows you to catch every wild Pokemon AND battle trainers in the wild! Of course it can freeze your game up if you fight the wrong one....

But yeah, I've tried it before and it worked successfully. It's really a gateway glitch because that glitch revealed the existence of other glitches and those revealed still others and these days you can glitch Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow up so much you can program your own maps and scripts on it without a cheating device. ZZAZZ did it and he programmed a variant of Pong, with sound effects and everything.

MissingnoXpert on Youtube posted a method involving the long-range trainer above Nugget Bridge in Yellow. I don't remember the details, but I replicated his methods and ended up with a level 1 Mew, which, which careful training, I insta-leveled to 100. I smashed through the rest of the game with a level 100 Mew and a level 100 Nidoking (also glitched into my possession).

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I've done it before, though not on a valuable save file. I also showed a friend how to do it, and shortly after, his game started to go haywire. From what I've figured out after the fact, a number of people have had similar things happen to their Blue games at random (can't load text, freezes at new game Oak picture with Gastly cry and weird noises, etc.), so maybe it was just unfortunate timing, but the fact that the game started having problems right after the Mew glitch discouraged me from doing it lots on cartridges (though emulators are a different story).

It was a rather remarkable glitch, though, and great for finishing off the Pokedex in true completionist style. Overall, I'm still amazed (though perhaps not surprised) by just how glitchy the original games are, and how many interesting things you can do by exploiting weaknesses in the code.

Back