• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever been in an online relationship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I've never tried and I've decided I'm never going to. It's always seemed wrong to me, to talk to someone on some site, then decide on literally no information that you want to date them. You might think you know everything about someone on the internet, but if you don't talk to them in person, you can't tell how they're really feeling (by means of facial expressions, body language etc), which is obviously important for a relationship.

But of course I'm not really in a position to make those sorts of assumptions, since I've never tried.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I've never tried and I've decided I'm never going to. It's always seemed wrong to me, to talk to someone on some site, then decide on literally no information that you want to date them. You might think you know everything about someone on the internet, but if you don't talk to them in person, you can't tell how they're really feeling (by means of facial expressions, body language etc), which is obviously important for a relationship.

But of course I'm not really in a position to make those sorts of assumptions, since I've never tried.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm in the same boat as you as I'm never going to have an online relationship again and I agree with your fundamentals against it, despite the fact that many people in online relationships video chat all the time, but for it to seem wrong on the basis that you think you decide on no information that you want to date them is a little silly. It's not as if you find someone online, and then decide you like them and want to date. It takes time to develop feelings for someone, but it absolutely is something that can happen to people online from even a psychological standpoint.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I could never do online relationships. There's just so many questions you need to ask to know what the person is like. How does she look? Is she too shy to send a photo of her? How tall is she (I hope she isn't taller than me)? Is her voice annoying, or her laugh? Is she less like herself in-person?

It feels more like a guessing game and feels less natural. I like having that connection of meeting someone you're interested in face-to-face. The scent of perfume, the ye to eye contact, and other small things that just feel right.

Years
  • I've never tried and I've decided I'm never going to. It's always seemed wrong to me, to talk to someone on some site, then decide on literally no information that you want to date them. You might think you know everything about someone on the internet, but if you don't talk to them in person, you can't tell how they're really feeling (by means of facial expressions, body language etc), which is obviously important for a relationship.

I'm feeling exactly the same way as you there. I'm someone who pretty much cannot find love at all, and I sometimes don't even get why people go crazy over online dating sites. Also, it is true that you can't find out everything about someone on the internet alone.

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • Never even got close to an online relationship. I've never ever been in a normal relationship either; chances are even rarer than a Gen 4/5 Shiny. I don't think I'd ever get close in a lifetime.

I know how you feel,
    Anyway I haven't tried to get a online relationship but I might when I get older

Stroker Ace

YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE, BUTTHORN
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2018
    I think that's about it. Gender dysphoria, bullying, and schizophrenia altogether can weigh someone down. When I decided to be with her I thought I could remedy that, but I guess she was already shoved into the ground. The voices she had really liked to play devil's advocate with her decision making and I fathom they may have egged on any worries she had about our relationship.

Funnily enough they brought her to both start and end the relationship through those means. She wouldn't have otherwise had the courage to approach me in a loving way, and vice versa. It's strange, isn't it?

My god I really need to be better about replying to people in a decent time lol.

Sometimes there are points in relationships when it feels that one side can't do jack to help the other. I hate constantly using my last relationship as an example, but what I learned is that when one side feels that way, it's gonna be tough to salvage much. Unfortunately, it's how life works sometimes. But the thing to remember is that a partner isn't necessarily a psychiatrist, and I think I learned that the hard way.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • My god I really need to be better about replying to people in a decent time lol.

Sometimes there are points in relationships when it feels that one side can't do jack to help the other. I hate constantly using my last relationship as an example, but what I learned is that when one side feels that way, it's gonna be tough to salvage much. Unfortunately, it's how life works sometimes. But the thing to remember is that a partner isn't necessarily a psychiatrist, and I think I learned that the hard way.
    This convo helped me gain a bit of confidence, and after talking to some friends who knew both of us I think I've finally gotten the answers I needed when I was ready to hear them. Thank you for this.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I haven't had one. If I at some point became single though, I won't say it would be impossible that I would pursue something with an online friend, but it would not stay online forever. I am human and I need another human, not text on a screen or a voice in my phone. At least not at all time.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • My first "real" relationship started out online, this was back in 2010. We've been on/off ever since but we're still talking almost 5 years later. It can be complicated and difficult due to the distance and what not though.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    wrote up a long post but im annoyed just reading it back

I really wish I could stop anyone who is trying to pursue an online relationship. I wasted so much of my time with someone who turned out to not even be loyal to me. There's so much extra drama in an online relationship that isn't worth any of it imo.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    My boyfriend and I met online through sharing a lot of mutual (also online) friends. We started visiting each other on the regular about two and a half years ago but we've been official/exclusive for 4 years. I actually just came home from staying with him for three weeks a couple days ago. We've met each other's families and everything, too. We're pretty close, and have future plans to close the distance as well.

Personally though I don't like the term "online relationship." I prefer "long distance relationship."

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    I'm actually kind of in a online relationship right now.
    I just recently (about a week ago) broke up with my (now ex) boyfriend Chris.

But I recently started talking online to this guy I haven't seen in about 5 years.
    Things aren't really official yet, and I don't know if this is just a "rebound" relationship or not.
    But he will be coming back to where I live in about 2 months. (Not because of me, it's for his job)

But anyways, It's going well.
    I think online relationships will be good as long as you get enough interaction, yet not too much to where you annoy each other.

Years
  • I haven't, but there are some people I would like to be in an online relationship with, but have been turned down.
    The first person had a boyfriend who she knew online, and the second person was a guy who was straight.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2015
    Terrible. We were both 13 and found out we were classmates in the same 2:15 math class.

Reactions: dad

Stroker Ace

YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE, BUTTHORN
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2018
    This convo helped me gain a bit of confidence, and after talking to some friends who knew both of us I think I've finally gotten the answers I needed when I was ready to hear them. Thank you for this.

Yeah no problem bud. Feel free to PM me about anything; I'll be here for ya.

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
    Years
  • I was in one for like 8 months a few years ago. That's the only online relationship I've ever had and we didn't break up because of the distance it was for a whole multitude of reasons. I don't see a reason why I wouldn't be in a relationship over the internet again, if I like someone enough I don't really care!

I prefer the physical closeness you get from offline relationships though.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Though not "Facebook-official", I count it because I can't say I've ever been committed to someone like I have been to her for so many years. She stole my heart and never gave it back.

I think you can learn a lot about a person if you meet them online. It's a bit more freeing to be who you are with no strings attached or physicality to worry about.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back